I'm going back to the PS2 for a while, reccommend me some games

Rayn

Recently I've gradually been more and more tempted to go back a generation, as I've got loads of games I never tried, let alone finished. After playing 'Name that Game' on Eurogamer, I've been reminded of titles I own, but never played, so now I wonder about a couple of games.

The .Hack series looks really interesting, and I bought a collectors box with all four games. Are these any good? Am I right when I seem to remember that they emulate MMO games, and that you kinda play an MMO within the game? How come all four games were released almost simultaneously? Are they essentially one game divided into four parts?

Also, is Peter Jacksons King Kong any good? I've got this for the GC as well, which version is the better one?

I've also got these, that I've never even tried:

Transformers the Game

FF VII: Dirge of Cerberus

Yakuza

MediEvil somethingsomething

Rogue Galaxy

Kingdom Hearts 2 (loved the first one)

Kings Quest VIII

unless it's the game of the movie. that one stunk.

the Atari one based on the Armada series was the good 'un.

Aye, for sure. I only rented the Atari one and played it for a couple of days - it's a great regret of mine that I didn't finish it, clearly a game worthy of more time than I gave it.

unless it's the game of the movie. that one stunk.

the Atari one based on the Armada series was the good 'un.

Can you still get that anywhere? It seems a bit hard to find.

My mopping up of PS2 titles hasn't started too well. The Ratchet & Clank series seems to have taken a nose-dive after the first one, SOS The Final Escape is dated to the point of unplayableness, and Second Sight is a hateful piece of broken nonsense. Still, scratched them off the list and have plenty more still waiting. Acquired a copy of Viewtiful Joe 2 which seems just as lovely as the first and is a rare treat. Then it's God Hand time...

God Hand!

In fact I'm going to play that today now. It's fantastic.

On nfx's list I'd only question Beyond Good and Evil, which, although I really liked it mostly, I'd only play if you really love Zelda. Oh and Yakuza 2 if it's anything like the first, which I hated. Shallow as hell with atrocious loading times.

Can you still get that anywhere? It seems a bit hard to find.

My mopping up of PS2 titles hasn't started too well. The Ratchet & Clank series seems to have taken a nose-dive after the first one, SOS The Final Escape is dated to the point of unplayableness, and Second Sight is a hateful piece of broken nonsense. Still, scratched them off the list and have plenty more still waiting. Acquired a copy of Viewtiful Joe 2 which seems just as lovely as the first and is a rare treat. Then it's God Hand time...

Oooh, is it R@RE!11!!? I have it on my shelf! (only played it an hour myself)

Raiden III, Maximo (and maybe the second one) and Gradius V are all good (IMO of course).

If you have some spare component sockets in your TV (assuming you have an LCD or Plasma) it might be worth spending a fiver on a PS3 component cable from Game. Personally, I think it livened up my PS2 a bit.

From your list I'd try Rogue Galaxy. I've heard it's not very good, but I love Dark Chronicle (Dragon Quest 8 is pretty good, too) so much it can't be that bad.

Off list, Klonoa 2.

I still haven't bought God of War 2. I think that's the last PS2 game I want. I don't really want to get a new memory card to play it though, and I've deleted all the non-essential saves from my existing cards. 8MB memory cards. The past was a crazy place.

From your list, I would pick Yakuza.

Not from your list, I would pick Yakuza 2, God Hand, Okami, Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus, POP:Sands Of Time, Beyond Good & Evil, Resi 4, Outrun 2006.

Played them all, except Yakuza 2.

So no one has any experience with the .Hack series, then?

Play

Trade those last 4 towards Persona 3 or something equally as decent.

I've completed Persona 3. Awesome game.

I never trade in any of my games. If I buy it, I keep it.

From your list, I would pick Yakuza.

Not from your list, I would pick Yakuza 2, God Hand, Okami, Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus, POP:Sands Of Time, Beyond Good & Evil, Resi 4, Outrun 2006.

Played them all, except Yakuza 2.
Ico and Shadow of the Collosus.
Oy vey!
eh

Not played any of the games on your list.

However, here's another vote for God Hand. Ridiculously punishing, but once you get the hang of how the fights work it's, well, still ridiculously punishing but it's the most fun you'll ever have getting your ass handed to you.

Also: Global Defence Force. Starship troopers meets Smash TV meets B-Movie. Looks cheap and it is (about a tenner from play) and is pretty much my favourite shooter of the last decade.

That includes incredible big budget affairs like Half Life 2. I'm deadly serious. As amazing as the HL2 experience is, I've spent a lot more time on GDF and I'm still not bored of it (about 60+ hours)