IGNORED

Xbox LIVE Indie Games

acidbearboy

In case anyone missed it. Hidden In Plain Sight is incredible fun if you have a few people to play it with on local multiplayer. I just picked it up off the back of a review which TTKs posted in the XBLA thread for me. You NEED real people on the couch to play it I'm afraid, but if you've got real people sat on your couch, you need to play this game. Not laughed / bonded with the kids so much in years.

This game is amazing, many thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded it earlier today and thought it would kill a bit of time before heading out into town for Friday night drinks and whatnot. We ended up playing it for four solid hours and finally left the house at around midnight. An instant local multiplayer classic that will seriously challenge Saturn Bomberman, Rock Band, Death Tank and Mario Kart when we next have a session.

Every round of every game ended in hysterics, but it also creates nailbiting tension and requires some real cunning and careful strategy to be good at it. Ninja party and Death Race are so entertaining that the other games didn't get a look in for the first hour, but the whole set is strong and it turned out to be Assassins that saw "one more game" turn into two further hours. I can think of few better ways to spend 80 points.

One of my favourite ever puzzle games is coming to XBLIG:

It's a conversion of an old Archimedes game called Cataclysm (renamed to Aqualibrium).

Oh! I remember this! It was awesome!

There was a PD version (or clone, probably) of it for the Amiga too, but it wasn't anywhere near as good or polished.

I finally got around to playing Gravitron 360. It really does ooze quality, great level design. I was initially confused by the default control scheme but once I'd set it to the classic Thrust controls it felt much better. If I had one problem it would be you only have to be at slightly the wrong angle when trying to land and it'll think you're crashing. Maybe a 'straighten' button might fix that. Still, a minor niggle, well worth anyone's 80 points.

That looks interesting. Where does the puzzling come in?

Missed this before. The idea of the game is to get a certain amount of the liquid into the container at the bottom of each screen. You have a certain number of blocks you can place around each level that you can use to control the flow of water. That's the basic principle, but it gets much more involved with different enemy types as well as other surprises along the way. It's a brilliant game and still plays really well today. Everyone needs to buy it because the developer says he'd like to do a proper sequel plus he's trying to get the rights to more Archimedes games so he can release them on XBLIG.

Also, BLOCKS THAT MATTER IS NOW 80PTS.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I really should have bought it at 240 as I enjoyed the trial but never got around to it. Very satisfying puzzling and it seems there's been plenty of extra content added once you make it through the adventure.

webboxart.jpg

I didn't have much fun with this, sorry :(

It has a load of potential and there was loads to like about it, but when I died I found that it took way too long to find where I'd respawned and so many times I just got eaten again or something, and I got annoyed by it quite soon

I didn't have much fun with this, sorry :(

It has a load of potential and there was loads to like about it, but when I died I found that it took way too long to find where I'd respawned and so many times I just got eaten again or something, and I got annoyed by it quite soon

Thanks for giving it a go. :)

A few people have mentioned that it can be difficult to spot your character when spawning so we'll be fixing this in the first update.

Hurrah!

Apple Jack 2 released June 14th!

Nine months late but entirely on budget (£0.00), Apple Jack 2 will be released next thursday, the 14th of June...

...For a paltry 80 MICROSOFT POINTS!

That's cheaper than a big bag of crisps, even before you factor in the expense of driving to the shop to pick them up. My Owl Software's commitment to the environment means that Apple Jack 2 will be delivered digitally, direct to your Xbox, absolutely free of charge!

Anyway, does this bag of crisps contain OVER 60 LEVELS of deep-fried platform-puzzle mayhem, with a seasoning of giant monsters, huge fruit-multiplying combos and head scrambling puzzles?

No. It just contains some crisps.

To conclude: you'd have to be an idiot NOT to buy Apple Jack 2 next thursday, from the Xbox Indie games channel!

Thankyou.

Do you guys have any suggestions for fun local multiplayer games? Simple mini games will be the order of the night.

I've got hidden in plain sight, 20 games to play with your mates and little racers street. To give you an idea of the sorta thing i'm looking for!

TTK, start a separate thread for Apple Jack 2. It deserves as much exposure as possible and I'd guess many folks don't venture into this thread.

Can't wait.

Will do :)

Oh i dunno, just kinda assumed :(

Nah, it doesn't. The original Little Racers does, IIRC.

Just tried the demo for Crystal Skies:

Sort of like the Sonic bonus stage or the superb Bob's Bad Day on the Amiga. I found it a bit pedestrian, plus the auto-rotation just got my back up. Doesn't look bad but I was a bit bored by the end of the trial.