IGNORED

Xbox LIVE Indie Games

acidbearboy

Hopefully he'll do Droid Assault after that too. He's working on a tower defense type game at the moment with similar graphics, but I can't say that excites me as much as his arcade-style games. There's a real polish to his games. I wish he'd do a pack for XBLA containing his first 3 games with achievements and leaderboards.

Update from the one of the Arkedo Series devs.

The idea is this: we want to make a lot of games, have them live right away, and experiment quite a bit, should this turn out to pay the bills. For the moment we start with very basic concepts, as we are learning right now, and all our "bells and whistles" tools have not all been ported yet. But if this works, we'll go hardcore!

Basically, Arkedo Series could be summed up by :

(1 dev + 1 gfx/prod) for 1 month = 1 Arkedo Series game. 240 points.

Plus our oldest dev who makes tools and low-level effects.

01 JUMP! was released yesterday. We did it in 35 days.

02 SWAP! will be out in approx 10-15 days + peer approval

03 ZOOM! is in preprod already

04 and 05 are in concept stage.

So if everything goes fine, you'll have 5 Arkedo Series in the next 4 months :o.

It's a bit of a change, as we usually take 18-20 months for a game. It's interesting, and fresh for us.

XBL Indie looks like heaven to us. I had to go through surgery to get bigger balls before deciding this, but really, I believe there is a lot of potential here so I'm ready to go fullspeed on this: a large part of the studio is dedicated to it right now (we have much bigger projects in the oven, bigger than "everything" we have done so far -Nervous Brickdown and Big Bang Mini-, but as you may all know, those puppies take ages to move).

There are already really cool games, but it is the potential that is amazing. Hopefully individuals, as well as studios, will make this place the new black. We believe in this. We try and do our part. It looks a bit like the perfect gaming meritocracy to us: you're good, you survive, possibly make money. Bad? You dead. No devkit, no 2-month Lotcheck from one of the big 3, no manufacturing delays, no presales issues, a very nice and swift peer review and bam, you're live.

We miss our boxes, sure.

But we do not want to miss what we feel is happening right now on the XBL Indie.

Wish us luck!

And hope you'll enjoy our games!

Info from GAF.

That's an honourable stance, but looking at the number of ratings most Indie Games have on Live, they often don't even reach the hundreds. I still think it's folly for your primary focus to be money on this service, but if you can churn-out 4 to 5 simple yet decent games a year (perfectly feasible for people with reasonable programming experience), then who knows. The tools Microsoft have provided (for free) for devs on this service are amazing. They've really gone to town to make it all as easy and friendly as possible (the video tutorials are excellent). Anyone with even the remotest interest should check it out.

How do you unlock the challenge stages in JUMP? It says collect everything in a level (presumably in the Adventure mode) to unlock the corresponding challenge level, but it isn't working. Also, a bit harsh having to start from the begining every time you play. Would have been better if they had split the game up into groups of five or ten levels or something. The prospect of having to do it all in one go pretty much kills the game dead for me. I feel slightly cheated/deceived as there's no way you'd know about this from just playing the demo. Shame, as there's some really intelligent level design later on.

NINJA BROS.

Available for pennies (80MSpoints)

It's Ninja action puzzle game , wao!

You simply have to take your ninja to the door, see?

CatalogImageaspx.jpg

Simples, right?

Not so quick!

CatalogImageaspx1.jpg

When you have two ninjas, they move together when you press left and right, and they jump separately when you press the relevant colour of button. You have to get every ninja to every door!

When you encounter hazards and stuff you have to keep your eyes on up to four ninjas to make sure you don't accidentally kill one of em. Naturally this makes for some excellent puzzles.

Jumping takes some getting used to, you can't adjust jumps in mid-air but this adds an extra layer to puzzles.

CatalogImageaspx2.jpg

I really like it. It's a bit buggy in that it makes the friend notifications into a blurry mess but the game itself is fine.

Worth getting.

How do you unlock the challenge stages in JUMP? It says collect everything in a level (presumably in the Adventure mode) to unlock the corresponding challenge level, but it isn't working. Also, a bit harsh having to start from the begining every time you play. Would have been better if they had split the game up into groups of five or ten levels or something. The prospect of having to do it all in one go pretty much kills the game dead for me. I feel slightly cheated/deceived as there's no way you'd know about this from just playing the demo. Shame, as there's some really intelligent level design later on.

I was going to buy that today! That's put me off though :)

Its still awesome.

The levels themselves are pretty short, once you've worked out how to do them it doesn't take much to replay them, I think there are supposed to be 30 levels, just managed to make it to 27 (got to 16 earlier today), its really not that big a deal...especially when the game is only 240 MS points.

Really if they'd added a few more levels, put in a level select and leaderboards they could easily have sold this as a 400 point XBLA game...although presumably that would have been a lot more hassle than getting it out on Indie Games.

Everyone should buy this, exactly the type of experience that should be on the service.

Yep, same, I don't have the time/sanity to keep going back through past levels when I want to play, we left that behind in the Commodore 64 days.

Nice little game from what I played of the demo, but frankly I'd rather wait to pay extra for it and avoid the bugbears.

It's amazing that the same people responsible for such a seemingly accomplished game would then make such a massive design fuck-up. They should have had a score table showing your best times for each level. That would have provided more replayability than having to do the whole game everytime you play.

Has anyone sussed how to open the challenge stages yet? Surely you don't have to get every coin/jem on every level on a single playthrough? That would just be completely retarded.

Seriously anyone who is put off Jump! by the lack of a level select should just get it anyway. Its not a big game, its not horrendously difficult and playing through it is a joy.

Its less than £2, for that money complaining about the stuff it hasn't got seems a little harsh.

Has anyone sussed how to open the challenge stages yet? Surely you don't have to get every coin/jem on every level on a single playthrough? That would just be completely retarded.

Looks like you have to complete the game to get it to unlock, I'm sure I didn't get all the coin/jems on every stage (though most I did), but it looks like I can play all but the last Challenge level.

Takes about 30 minutes to play through when you know what you are doing by the way, thats with a few deaths too. Theres really nothing too hard in the main game, to be honest it doesn't really need a level select.

Seriously anyone who is put off Jump! by the lack of a level select should just get it anyway. Its not a big game, its not horrendously difficult and playing through it is a joy.

Its less than £2, for that money complaining about the stuff it hasn't got seems a little harsh.

At that price, you're right, it's not a dealbreaker. I guess this way you'll get to know the levels like the back of your hand, old skool style.

And actually it has got a level select...you just need to complete the game first.

The Challenge mode is basically all the levels to play one at a time, if you beat all the levels in Challenge mode and collect all the coins/jems then you unlock a 31st stage to play.

Its actually structured quite well.

I still reckon it would have more longevity with speed-run hi-score tables, and having to do all 30 levels in one go isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather have a choice than be forced to do it.

Forced? Thats a bit strong.

Like I said its about 30 minutes worth of effort to finish the game, hardly a massive effort, it took me 3 goes and probably in total something like 80 minutes.

Leaderboards would indeed add value to the game...but seeing as its less than £2, it already offers quite a lot of value for its price point.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now. As far as I'm concerned its by far the best thing on the Indie Game service and everyone should at least check it out.

Please read my previous post properly, I didn't say leaderboards, I said hi-score tables.

I was responding to H_S_H_24

Leaderboards would indeed add value to the game...but seeing as its less than £2, it already offers quite a lot of value for its price point.

But if he too was refering to local hi score tables then we have no beef here! :huh:

Leaderboards cannot be perfectly implemented into Indie Games. Its not the devs fault they are not included.

Kuchibi's got Leaderboards:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/of...502df?cid=SLink

They're implemented really well too, as your high scores are updated on them even while you're still playing the game (some of the game modes can go on pretty much endlessly, over multiple game sessions).

Looking at the Leaderboards is a bit depressing though, as it reinforces how few people are buying these indie games.

I'd highly recommend Kuchibi btw - very mellow puzzler with 4 game modes that play very differently to each other.

I have explained how leaderboards on Indie Games work before. They are not true leaderboards. I'll try to explain again.

Leaderboards are made by syncing with everyone who is playing the game at that moment, rather than syncing with an external server. This means that you could play the game when noone else was playing, notch up massive high scores, but they would never be reflected on anyone's high score list as you couldn't sync with anyone else. It would therefore be nigh on impossible to get one unified list, unless there were very few people playing (say 2 people bought it, they just need to play at the same time as each other to sync correctly) or it is hugely popular (therefore increasing the chance that lots of people will play online at the same time.)

For proper leaderboards to be implemented Microsoft would need to do 1 of 2 things:

1) Allow remote connections to personal servers.

2) Provide Microsoft servers for games to connect do and log scores.

Neither of which are going to happen any time soon.

For proper leaderboards to be implemented Microsoft would need to do 1 of 2 things:

1) Allow remote connections to personal servers.

2) Provide Microsoft servers for games to connect do and log scores.

I could imagine them offering a single small (1000 entries say) leaderboard per XNA title. Even that would make a big difference.

I played Jump earlier and wanted to use my US points to buy it. I couldn't as it's not out in the US. Is that a temporary thing or do you think it'll be permanent?

Well I managed to buy it on the US marketplace the other day, not sure why it's not available ATM? Maybe just been removed to fix a bug or something?

Jump got pulled. They wanted to change the name after customer feedback but you're only allowed to update your games every seven days, or something, so Microsoft thought something was up.

It'll be back, just have to wait!

EDIT: Apparently it's back now

I noticed Ninja Bros is gone too.

Blimey! Don't think I'll be playing Echoes+ on insane difficulty, somehow.

I realised after I made that video that it might be off-putting to some people because it looks so hard. That's also by far the hardest of the 6 game modes too so hardly the best combination chosen by me. You'll just have to trust me that the other difficulties and game modes are less brutal and hopefully more appealing :lol:

Oh, right, yeah, Titan Attacks is excellent. I've been hoping he'd port it to Xbox Live Indie Games (as per Ultratron) but no luck so far.

The port of Ultratron wasn't done by Puppy Games themselves, it was done by Paul Cunningham at Pumpkin Games. And IIRC Paul has also done quite a bit of work on porting Titan Attacks to XBIG too, but the last time I spoke to him about it there was some kind of hold-up and it wasn't clear whether it would get finished.