IGNORED

Black Mesa Source

fasteasyfree

Entirely true, but I still give up out of boredom an hour into it these days.

Probably more down to familiarity, its still a really strong game...especially after the relative calm of the opening acts. The helicopter gunship battles are still awesome...the dam section..i even enjoyed Xen.

The shooting and combat in 1 is still better than in 2. The rest of it doesn't really stand up - the puzzles are as irritating as they originally were and the direction is poor by Valve's standards.

eh? It was their 1st game, they didnt have any standards before it. Besides, it's great. I'd reccommend watching a speedrun to see how elegantly the puzzles can be overcome.

heres one. some beautiful bunnyhopping:

eh? It was their 1st game, they didnt have any standards before it. Besides, it's great. I'd reccommend watching a speedrun to see how elegantly the puzzles can be overcome.

I'm talking about how it plays nowadays and the direction certainly is one area where Valve have improved immeasurably.

Fuck me, you forget how epic HL1 was. Even before you get to Zen there's a good 15-20 hours of game there, and there are so many amazing moments he's managed to skip entirely in that video. It's just so huge and all-encompassing in a way I don't think we'll ever see in an FPS again.

It's also worth noting how he only crawled through 1-2 vents in that entire run.

Fuck me, you forget how epic HL1 was. Even before you get to Zen there's a good 15-20 hours of game there, and there are so many amazing moments he's managed to skip entirely in that video. It's just so huge and all-encompassing in a way I don't think we'll ever see in an FPS again.

It's also worth noting how he only crawled through 1-2 vents in that entire run.

I watched the first fifteen minutes and I spotted quite a few vents/tunnels. He just took them at incredible speed. Despite how much I enjoyed HL, my overriding memory will be the clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-BLURGGHHHH that accompanied each vent, with the optional BLURGHHHH signifying a headcrab. In a relatively fond way.

I've played through Half-Life many times... on every difficulty setting, and again with the Counter-Life mod (which lets you pick up the Counter-Strike shooting down choppers with the AWP). Done Op4 and Blue Shift a couple of times each as well.

I don't really buy the idea that its combat is ahead of Half-Life 2's... as I recall, on anything below Hard many fights with marines came down to me and one enemy standing still shooting at each other from point blank range. And the black ops assassins were hard to hit, but it was hard to tell whether that was because they moved intelligently or just because they bounced around quickly.

I reinstalled it again recently, although it's not without its technical irritations. For example, even though Vysnc is set to "always on" in the ATI Catalyst panel, I get big problems with screen tearing which never came up on my old machine. And the Steam version has a bug which means you can't set the HEV suit volume too loud or it'll crash (I think either 127 or 255 is the maximum... although you can't actually see the figure until the crash error message comes up). And installing the high-definition pack on Steam is a bit awkward compared to doing it from the retail CD (it requires you to click a download link hidden away on the Steam site while you've got Steam running). Finally, for some reason the streaming CD music has never worked for me, either on the retail CD or Steam (though sometimes it starts playing whatever music CD I've got in the drive!).

I always love watching that video. My favourite bits are probably his shooting of a scientist to skip the whole "We've got hostiles" chapter (10:45 in), and the grenade jump to the top of the Lambda Core teleportation chamber (28 mins in). :wub:

The high def pack is just a bunch of models you drop into a folder inside \valve\models or whatever. Ive still got them somewhere if needed, alongside all my old configs and crazy stuff. Used to be really into my Halflife.

Amazing speedrun, thanks for posting that angel. I honestly didn't think you could get through the game that bleedin fast! :lol: Must have taken some effort to even just memorise that.

The Half Life games are my comfort games, I love them to bits and have played them so many times. Played Half Life again a short while ago and I still found it absolutely brilliant and a joy to play. Until Xen that is where I just left and couldn't be bothered going on. Can't say I agree with the gunplay in Half Life being better than HL2, not by a long shot. Then again I think the gunplay in HL2 is great whilst everyone else seems to hate it so what do I know... Might have to replay The Orange Box again sometime soon me thinks. I've even been tempted to get The Orange Box for the PS3 just to play it on the PS3 and complete my Half Life collection :unsure:

THE WEBSITE HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH A STATEMENT!

Um...

Cynics may now rejoice, bets may be collected, and I think a mod team member has to eat his shoe, but we hope our loyal fans will forgive us and realize that the delay will translate into a better final product that's (hopefully) more easily available to everyone."

Once again we apologize for what has to be very disappointing news. We placed a 2009 deadline on ourselves to motivate us and bring this 6 year project to a close. And while we didn't quite make it, we have come very close, and you can expect a complete, polished game to hit your hard drives in the near future. We'll be sure and update if anything changes. Until then, hang tight, it's comin

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=2416

More easily available? I remember Valve promoting this in the past via the Steam updates, they should really do something with it.

I'm pretty sure they will in the end. They've got to, right? I mean, it's their game really. Perhaps this delay has something to do with their involvement.

I'm pretty sure they will in the end. They've got to, right? I mean, it's their game really. Perhaps this delay has something to do with their involvement.

I'm sure someone's mentioned it earlier in the thread, but doesn't Black Mesa seem like a transparent attempt to curry Valve's favour, a project conceived along this very line of thought? While I'd very much like to play it it does feel like it's the product of 'build it and they will come' mentality. It's like people who write fan fiction and send it into TV studios in an attempt to make it into the screenwriting business.

A bigger issue is that it's the regular "revolving door" of mod development. There's not a consistent group that's been working on it for years, those that started the project used it as their CV/portfolio to enter the industry and now work for various developers. They might get some talented modders who are good at Hammer, but I don't even know if they're recruiting at the moment.

I'm sure someone's mentioned it earlier in the thread, but doesn't Black Mesa seem like a transparent attempt to curry Valve's favour, a project conceived along this very line of thought? While I'd very much like to play it it does feel like it's the product of 'build it and they will come' mentality. It's like people who write fan fiction and send it into TV studios in an attempt to make it into the screenwriting business.

Maybe I'm just not very cynical, but I don't look at it like that. To me it seems like the most important motivation was "hey, let's remake this classic game using the sequel's engine!" (it was a pretty obvious idea from the moment HL2 was announced), and it was only later that modders began thinking "this will be a high-profile mod - maybe if I work on it I can put it on my CV".