IGNORED

Black Mesa Source

fasteasyfree

Yeah, the finale is fine. Have to say, the actual end of Interloper was genuinely good, with some brilliant music. Was the music this good in the original game?  But yeah, the platforming and puzzling dragged on for far far far too fucking long. 

However, the credits are rolling. And overall I did really enjoy that. :)

Now, do I try my hand at Half Life 2? Twice I've attempted to play it, back when Orange Box was out on the 360, but I never finished it. 

Half Life 2 is about as dated as Black Mesa in terms of gameplay, but the atmosphere and set pieces are pretty good and it's final stages are fucking AMAZING.

I'm replaying it, although probably after Doom and Doom Ultimate.

EDIT:

And done. That was great apart from Interloper's length and the last phase of Nihalinth was a bit tricky!

I've played through the entire series since finishing Black Mesa, including Opposing Force, Blue Shift and a very awkward single player playthrough of Decay before moving on to HL2 and its episodes.

I think Black Mesa might be the best of the lot.

Unless you count Portal.

Just started this properly today and it really adds another layer of atmosphere. Resonance cascade is really quite harrowing with the extra detail and the lighting is amazing! Also noticed an office space reference between two scientists talking - "the quality of the TPS reports has been steadily declining, so I'm going to need you to come in over the weekend..." :lol:

3 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Don't neglect the episodes. One is weaker, though still with some nice touches, and Two is excellent.

Plus I'd recommend doing Lost Coast between HL2 and Episode 1. It's only short but it's worth playing through, and then again for the commentary.

That's if you can still get it, that is: I bought a physical copy of The Orange Box in 2009, and I don't think I had access to Lost Coast until I followed a link to an offer for owners of certain graphics cards, but I've no idea if that way of claiming it still works.

On 16/03/2020 at 12:43, Thor said:

Perhaps not the thread for it, but I'm really fucking enjoying Half Life 2. I'm up to where the dude gives you the shotgun. It helps that I have it on easy mode. A mode Black Mesa sorely needs. 

I always wished that the original HL had balanced it's difficulty settings a bit differently, as some enemies' HP values were better on Easy than Hard, but for others it was the opposite way round. Zombies were best with the HP they had on Hard, so that you could experience the threat of them absorbing hits as they shambled towards you. Whereas when fighting soldiers on Hard, the HP values meant that gunfights often degenerated into them standing still firing at you while surviving multiple headshots, which just looked silly.

49 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Plus I'd recommend doing Lost Coast between HL2 and Episode 1. It's only short but it's worth playing through, and then again for the commentary.

That's if you can still get it, that is: I bought a physical copy of The Orange Box in 2009, and I don't think I had access to Lost Coast until I followed a link to an offer for owners of certain graphics cards, but I've no idea if that way of claiming it still works

It's available on Steam.

Just now, Chopsocky said:

Stick it out! Ep 1 was like an old fashioned expansion pack, just more of the same. It's worth it to experience Ep 2.

Uh uh. It's nowhere near more of the same. Episode 1 starts off well as as a bit of a puzzler (the orbs and the grav gun, I liked that) but then devolves into a corridor shooter that just throws a load of enemies at you, including that new annoying one with the grenade. It's fucking shit.