IGNORED

Black Mesa Source

fasteasyfree

Did they go ahead with letting people choose between an mp5 or m4 in the end?

On the one hand I always thought the mp5 looked odd with the underslung 203, but then again it shares ammo with the glock pistol.

edit:

Also, I may be wrong here.....but remember the big crates with the green tarp over the top? They seem to have modelled that tarp as a seperate physics item so that when you break the crate, it shatters, then the cloth just kinda flutters down on top.

Utterly pointless but quite cool!

My suit didn't welcome me when I put it on, so I deleted the entire Windows installation and moved exlusively to AmigaOS.

Nah, only kidding. This only just about runs on my media centre (and drops framerate shockingly when it gets busy) so I might have to leave it here and revisit it when I've got better hardware. Nonetheless, it's really impressive and shows off just how good the 14 year old original is.

Up to Apprehension, game just crashed.

Random thoughts: Gordon formerly having a ponytail is now canon.

It's a bit good isn't it? I like how they've added stuff and remixed enemy placements and stuff - it's sort of like the OoT Masters Quest equivalent - it keeps it fresh and dashes your expectations at the same time as revelling in nostalgia.

Enemies are nasty - Vorts and bullsquids are scary as hell at first, turrets are brutal. Then I got to Icthyosaurs - by far the scariest enemy in HL1, and they're fucking wusses in this!

I had a zombie pick up and strangle to death a security guard I was leading around!

They really like their crouch-jumps don't they? I don't think I've regular-jumped once!

Plenty of lovely smart touches - lots of use of physics and destructibility with the militarys' sandbag fortifications - the handling of the Gargantua was clever, and the way they linked the missile silo you go through into the launch sequence was inspired. It's stuff that just makes sense.

In Office Complex/We've got Hostiles there was a massive long duct that you could take that gave you access to a huge number of rooms and even a couple of combat encounters, it was by far the biggest optional exploration bit I can remember from HL1 and I never found it until like the fourth time through, but I couldn't find it in this. Anyone know if it's still there?

Had a bug in Blast Pit, the security guard wouldn't die, so he stood there invincible fighting them the whole time. Made it a bit easy. He even survived the rocket test!

On a Rail is about half its former length, at most. Not sure how I feel about that, I don't think all of that was filler!

They've made the world feel a lot more grounded and a bit more sensible - gamey stuff like the jumping section between the hanging boxes in Unforeseen Circumstances is now made into a sort of suspended freight rail system that you also see parts of in other rooms throughout the level - it makes it seem cohesive and less of an isolated game bit. Other weird bits (like the switches in Blast Pit that extended giant spikes out from behind you into the back of your head and then into where the switches are and then electrified them) are now made more mundane. On the other hand, there are still rivers that contain more radioactive waste than humanity has made over its history, and the bit where the on/off switch for the giant fan is beneath its giant spinning blades with the only route through them are still there.

The bit with the lasers just after everything goes wrong bugged out on me, I couldn't get through the door at the end of the corridor (cant remember how it happened before, is that when the crowbar appears or was it an explosion?) either way, I couldn't get through.

This is quite possibly a very silly question, but I've downloaded BM, and am now currently nabbing Source to get it all running (god knows where HL2's gone to!), but where can I find a shortcut to run Black Mesa?

Just want to bung it onto a shortcut in the library?

Anyone played the bit where you and the barneys/scientists you've collected all converge on the cafeteria area? Holy hell that was awesome. Horde of zombies coming for us, I crouch down so we can all open fire and we just drop them as they try and shamble up the stairs - all the while the scientist in the background is freaking out and shouting words of encouragement - it was like out of a movie. The is wonderful!

It's a shame they've decided to cut so much - I didn't mind the omission of the faffing about in the crawlspaces and ductwork from Office Complex, but they've dropped about a half-hour long bit from Surface Tension too, which is my favourite level.

Everything from the bit where the soldiers hear you in the vents and shoot through and you fight in that car service place and use the car lifts to jump through the hole in the wall, and then through the room with the aliens and humans fighting and the APC crashed through the wall to the open area where humans are fighting aliens landing in the streets and you have to find someone to open the barrier and you go in the building and the soldier throws a satchel charge in the pipe and you have to take the Barney to the gate fighting off aliens and when you get in the Gargantua is there is basically gone.

You fall out of the vents straight into the Gargantua chase.

Surface Tension is a real difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game though. I'm going to take a break, I haven't marathoned a game like this in years.

They've made a change to an absolutely iconic and defining Half Life moment, right at the start.

I find their change baffling given how iconic and Central that moment that moment is to memories of Half Life.

It's small but significant. Disappointing.

It's a shame they've decided to cut so much - I didn't mind the omission of the faffing about in the crawlspaces and ductwork from Office Complex, but they've dropped about a half-hour long bit from Surface Tension too, which is my favourite level.

Everything from the bit where the soldiers hear you in the vents and shoot through and you fight in that car service place and use the car lifts to jump through the hole in the wall, and then through the room with the aliens and humans fighting and the APC crashed through the wall to the open area where humans are fighting aliens landing in the streets and you have to find someone to open the barrier and you go in the building and the soldier throws a satchel charge in the pipe and you have to take the Barney to the gate fighting off aliens and when you get in the Gargantua is there is basically gone.

You fall out of the vents straight into the Gargantua chase.

Surface Tension is a real difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game though. I'm going to take a break, I haven't marathoned a game like this in years.

:-(

That's one of the best parts of the game!