IGNORED

Max Tundra

keineboom

Following a recommendation in the Prog section of 'The Word' magazine this month I donwloaded this album.

All I can say is I'm glad I did!

It sounds to me like Zappa played by a Commodore 64 (that's a good thing) crossed with some catchy melodies and great songwriting.

I urge you all to do the same, its available on Newzbin for you filthy pirates.

EDIT

If this doesn;t sell you on this album nothing will!

The entire album was recorded with his trusty Commodore Amiga 500 used as a mixing desk/controller. Says Mr. Tundra - “There are no modern-day computers on this record. My PC is strictly for emails and Photoshopping the words Max Tundra into Coldplay line-ups. The main technology behind this and all of my albums has been the Commodore Amiga 500 - bestselling home computer at the time - running a $1 public domain software tracker program. The sounds don’t emerge from the Amiga itself however; the machine is used to control various synths, samplers and the like I look at columns of numbers all day on the screen of a black and white television; these digits relate to pitches, durations and tones. A lot of the noises on my record are real; the cello, bass guitar, drums, piano, trumpet and others are all rehearsed and played by me, but sometimes I will use realistic fake versions of these noises. Each song is recorded in a different way; drumkits are recorded on mono cassette recorders twice, then stuck together on the left and right of a mix; string arrangements are planned and then layered up; each note of an electric guitar is sampled so that it can be sequenced in ways too complicated for my fat fingers to play at full speed. And then I have a cup of tea and sing my heart out.”

Lovely album, lovely bloke. He knows a scary amount about old computers, it must be said. I think he mistook my interest for knowledge and completely baffled me within about four sentences.

I kinda see what you mean by the Zappa thing (though I dislike Zappa) but this is a great record. Everybody buy it, please.

I've got some old bits and bobs by this guy from my obsessive Warp Records collecting days

(Including the amazingly titled "The Gradual Disappearance From Food Packaging Of The Lettres Ornées Typeface Since The Nineteen Sixties")

Not heard anything from him in years - gonna check this out

I have to say this album is excellent, I love the complexity of it, the melody, a good mixture of fun and focus.

Amiga 500, now there's a man with taste. I'll bet he's using OctaMED or similar, that had pretty good MIDI integration. It has that trackerish style about it, albeit with proper synths.

If you can you should check out his version of The Bill themetune he did on Kid 606 And Friends vol 2.

I saw him supporting Hot Chip and few weeks ago and thought he was very good. He's clearly a very talented bloke and behind the 80s computer electro are pretty complicated rhythms and structures. This was lost on the average Sheffield gig-goer though who though it was some form a comedy act as he has got a certain 'style' when playing live.

By mentioning Zappa, I was referring to the denseness and complexity of some of the melodies, not the fact that he'll be singing embarrassing songs about having sex with a dead dog that had been pissed on by his own mother (I'm paraphrasing), so fear not Zappa haters!

If you only check out one track make sure it's 'Which Song', which has lots of shades of Prince and Scritti Politti and is an amazingly groove-tastic slice of melodic brilliance, or summat.

If you only check out one track make sure it's 'Which Song', which has lots of shades of Prince and Scritti Politti and is an amazingly groove-tastic slice of melodic brilliance, or summat.

I had the same thought when hering this. Not sure if it was intentional but the combo of the fey vocal and that stilted 80s-style beat did suggest the reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm really liking this at the moment. Don't know if it's just me but I'm finding it a lot more accessible that "Master by the Guy at Exchange".

It's still crazy fun staccato drums melodie madness though and I love it for it.