IGNORED

Napole0n's Cookbook III: Duck Breast with Cranberry-Port Sauce

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

My wife and I used to eat at a local restaurant which served a lush duck breast with cranberry port sauce. One day, they removed it from the menu and the next few months (if not years) I tried to copy the recipe. And finally I succeeded.

Ingredients (meat):

- 1 duck breast per person (with skin)

- Salt

- Pepper

Sauce:

- 3 tablespoons of Cranberry Compote

- 1 glass of red Port

- 1 tablespoon of cognac

- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce

- 3 teaspoons of sugar

Preheat the oven to 200 degree centigrade.

Put the cranberry compote, Port, soy sauce, cognac and sugar in a pan and put this on a high fire until it starts cooking. Use a blender to make it into a smooth sauce. Turn the fire down and allow the sauce to slowly reduce.

Carve a diamond pattern in the skinside of the duckbreast. Make sure you make a cut at least every 5th inch or so. Cut through the skin until you just touch the meat. Put some salt and pepper on the duckbreasts. Put the duckbreasts skinside down in a skillet and put this on a very low fire (do not use any butter or oil!!). Cook this very slowly, drain any excess fat (lovely to bake potatoes in). Make sure the fire stays low! Keep the duck on the fire until the skinside is crispy and golden-brown. This will take about 15 minutes or so, give it some time. Turn the duck over so the meat-side can brown too. After a few seconds, put the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Make sure to add your plates to the oven so that they get nice and hot.

Take the plates out and put the duckbreasts on the plates. Leave it to rest for a couple of minutes. Serve with the sauce poured over the duck or serve the sauce seperately.

Very nice with fries, baked potatoes (bake them using the excess duck fat added to olive oil!!), autumn/winter veggies and cooked pears.

• 2 weeks later...