Here's to Louis Theroux!

Popo

I found him weirdly creepy. He seemed like one of those weird, geeky types who will go absolutely fucking tonto if someone pushes the wrong button.

The one I found slightly weird was the big white guy who was on crutches at the end. He seemed really smart and articulate - just a normal bloke - but he said he's been to prison 6 times previously. He just didn't seem the type.

See for me it was the complete opposite. That guy is just a geek, probably unable to control what must have been his first breakup with a girl. The consequences are extreme. Whereas the guy on crutches looked like a nazi - if he weren't on crutches, he'd be the sort who would go on the prowl (indeed that's how he got injured, went for a fight and got cornered).

Different people have different first impressions, and the reality is always not what you'd expect, I guess.

I watched this last night and the thing that stunned me was that these are technically innocent people who've all been in there for years. It made the whole environment that much more horrific, as if it wasn't bad enough already...

I watched this last night and the thing that stunned me was that these are technically innocent people who've all been in there for years. It made the whole environment that much more horrific, as if it wasn't bad enough already...

I just didn't even understand the logic of it when it was explained. "If I stay here for 5 years, then the 25 year sentence I was facing might get reduced to 20 years".

What?

Clearly, there are a lot of lawyers lining their pockets on these sections of society.

I just didn't even understand the logic of it when it was explained. "If I stay here for 5 years, then the 25 year sentence I was facing might get reduced to 20 years".

What?

Clearly, there are a lot of lawyers lining their pockets on these sections of society.

I think the difference between 20 years and 25 isn't just the five years. 20 years may well be "20 years, elligible for parole in 10", whereas 25 years is "25 to life" meaning the will serve a minimum of 25 years.

Plus didn't Louis say at the start that they often intentionally drag trials on to hope police retire or die off and witnesses die off too.

My question is, if they would rather be here than in prison, what the hell is that like? This place was scary.

GABOS!

I think the difference between 20 years and 25 isn't just the five years. 20 years may well be "20 years, elligible for parole in 10", whereas 25 years is "25 to life" meaning the will serve a minimum of 25 years.

Ah, ok. That makes a little more sense. And, of course, time served would get taken into account as well.

Still, madness, and all the mroe scary for it. Either their lives are so shit it's a better place to be, or they did what they're accused of doing. If I were innocent, I'd be raging in every way imaginable to get out of any prison, even more so with that one.

That poor kid at the end of the second one was awful though - giving up on a 6 month boot camp programme and going to adult jail at 14, to then be denied an education. What the fuck does that solve?

Ah, ok. That makes a little more sense. And, of course, time served would get taken into account as well.

Still, madness, and all the mroe scary for it. Either their lives are so shit it's a better place to be, or they did what they're accused of doing. If I were innocent, I'd be raging in every way imaginable to get out of any prison, even more so with that one.

That poor kid at the end of the second one was awful though - giving up on a 6 month boot camp programme and going to adult jail at 14, to then be denied an education. What the fuck does that solve?

The other guy was really sad too. I think he was 20 and he was glad to be inside. I think he stabbed a crack head over $25 or something and when Louis asked him why he wanted to be inside he said something like it's too hard out there. Mum's an alchoholic, brother was a junkie and sister was a hooker. What a sad life.

:(

The other guy was really sad too. I think he was 20 and he was glad to be inside. I think he stabbed a crack head over $25 or something and when Louis asked him why he wanted to be inside he said something like it's too hard out there. Mum's an alchoholic, brother was a junkie and sister was a hooker. What a sad life.

Land of the free... Watching documentaries like this really could give the impression that America is some third-world shithole. Which it must be for some people.

• 4 months later...

and he's back!

America's Most Dangerous Pets

According to some reports, there are now more tigers in captivity in the US than in the wild in the whole of Asia, as well as large numbers of lions, bears and chimpanzees.

Travelling to America's heartlands, Louis Theroux spends time with an Oklahoma man who has bred and collected over 150 tigers, visits the woman who privately owns one of America's largest collections of chimpanzees, and finds himself in uncomfortably close contact with a number of big cats and dangerous primates.

This Sunday, BBC2 @ 9pm.

the conditions the animals are kept in are pretty appalling. it should be illegal. a part of me is always thrilled to see the contrast of a wild animal with people though; i love seeing their energy and aggression next to human beings.

There was a guy on Billy Connolly's Route 66, he was looking after exotic pets that had been confiscated from poor owners or found abandoned. It was so obvious how much he cared for the animals, and how much he tried to look after them. There was a young lion cub who clearly adored him. So it's not fair to paint everyone who looks after exotic pets as eccentric or dangerous, but the regulation certainly needs to be better. (cf large numbers of terrapins poured down drains in the early 90s because of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, snowy owls kept as pets because of Harry Potter in the last few years...)

There was a guy on Billy Connolly's Route 66, he was looking after exotic pets that had been confiscated from poor owners or found abandoned. It was so obvious how much he cared for the animals, and how much he tried to look after them. There was a young lion cub who clearly adored him. So it's not fair to paint everyone who looks after exotic pets as eccentric or dangerous, but the regulation certainly needs to be better. (cf large numbers of terrapins poured down drains in the early 90s because of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, snowy owls kept as pets because of Harry Potter in the last few years...)

i mean it should be illegal to own most species as pets. obviously there need to be sanctuaries to house ones that idiots have bought and then been overwhelmed by, but there's no reason at all why it should be legal for someone to buy a tiger.

i mean it should be illegal to own most species as pets. obviously there need to be sanctuaries to house ones that idiots have bought and then been overwhelmed by, but there's no reason at all why it should be legal for someone to buy a tiger.

why not? why is it legal to buy one type of animal over another - surely it must be none or some severe licencing.

why not? why is it legal to buy one type of animal over another - surely it must be none or some severe licencing.

because domestic cats and dogs are just that: domesticated. they're a different species to dogs and cats in the wild. then you've got ferrets and guinea pigs; they're not doing any harm. then you've got tigers. and that's where i draw the line.

because domestic cats and dogs are just that: domesticated. they're a different species to dogs and cats in the wild. then you've got ferrets and guinea pigs; they're not doing any harm. then you've got tigers. and that's where i draw the line.

but how did they become domesticated? By humans taking them and training them - how are we ever to domesticate a panda if we cant keep them ?

There was a good documentary (possibly Horizon) about dogs a while back that showed how wild animals might have become domesticated through selective breeding. The animals tended to become more varied in appearance, and generally cuter over the generations, which is how it's supposed that so many different shapes and sizes of dogs could all have descended from wild wolves.