rllmuk
Popo

Here's to Louis Theroux!

I think the problem with the prison one was that he obviously had limited time he could spend with the inmates. It really showed for me, which is why I suggested he should maybe have tried focusing on a smaller group of characters.

I think the problem with the prison one was that he obviously had limited time he could spend with the inmates. It really showed for me, which is why I suggested he should maybe have tried focusing on a smaller group of characters.

I agree, less characters might have made for a better hour show. But I still think what was there was brilliant, my first thoguht at the end was that they should've made it a longer show, or a two parter or something. It was such an interesting setting, I could've watched it for hours.

But anyway, his next film sounds cool... a 2 parter about the Philadelphia PD. Not sure if there's a date for when it's on yet, but should be good.

He always strikes me as a poor substitute for Jon Ronson.

I wouldn't say "poor" necessarily, but he seemed to come along doing pretty much the same thing Ronson did and edged him out of the market. A lot of people seem to think the faux naive interviewing of dangerous nutjobs thing was completely Theroux's idea.

I wouldn't say "poor" necessarily, but he seemed to come along doing pretty much the same thing Ronson did and edged him out of the market. A lot of people seem to think the faux naive interviewing of dangerous nutjobs thing was completely Theroux's idea.

Well, I've seen/heard nothing of Jon Ronson, so count me as one of these people. Where should I start with Ronson?

Louis' book is good, but suffers from being very similar to (and not as good as) Jon Ronson's books. I think Louis' programmes are superior to Ronson's documentaries though, so I guess it balances out.

I love the episode when he met the neo-Nazis, and that bit where the woman and her mad racist family kept asking him if he was Jewish in an increasingly threatening and aggressive manner. I'm pretty sure he isn't Jewish either, which makes his response even more admirable - he was standing up for his principals in the face of extremely scary behaviour.

he's not.

I'm fairly sure he is? I looked it up after seeing that programme and read that he is ethnically Jewish even if he isn't particularly religious. Maybe it was an unreliable source.

EDIT: but looking on the net now, I can't seem to find anything to suggest whether he is or not.

I'm a big Louis fan. Always have been. I remember seeing a programme with him in a long time ago (this was pre-X-Factor) and he seemed like such a nice guy. I'm fairly sure all the rumours about him having sex with Boyzone are just made up by people jealous of his obvious talent.

Harry Hill's "The Faces Of Louis Theroux" segment has me in stitches ever week. He's just so expressive!

I thought if anything he didn't focus on enough characters. He spent almost the whole episode hanging around with white prisoners (probably for obvious reasons), so you didn't really get a perspective of the prison as a whole. It would be a lot to fit in one episode though.

I'm fairly sure he is? I looked it up after seeing that programme and read that he is ethnically Jewish even if he isn't particularly religious. Maybe it was an unreliable source.

EDIT: but looking on the net now, I can't seem to find anything to suggest whether he is or not.

No, he's not. It's addressed in his book.

I'm a big Louis fan. Always have been. I remember seeing a programme with him in a long time ago (this was pre-X-Factor) and he seemed like such a nice guy. I'm fairly sure all the rumours about him having sex with Boyzone are just made up by people jealous of his obvious talent.

Harry Hill's "The Faces Of Louis Theroux" segment has me in stitches ever week. He's just so expressive!

wat

Louis Theroux: Law And Disorder In Philadelphia, showing Sunday November 30th on BBC 2 at 9:00pm

Louis Theroux (pictured) presents the first of two films looking at the issue of law and disorder in two volatile and crime-ridden cities - Philadelphia and Johannesburg.

In this film, Theroux joins the Philadelphia Police Department to experience front-line policing, American-style. In the most dangerous areas of the city, there are approaching 400 homicides a year and drug dealers on every corner. It is also considered part of normal life to carry a gun.

Embedded within the Philly rapid-response teams, Theroux feels a palpable sense of adrenalin mixed with frustration as police take on gangs and dealers night after night. He sees a world in which battle-hardened officers cruise the streets on constant gun alert, chase down dealers and patrol a community they feel they can never afford to trust. Day in, day out, this life inevitably takes its toll on officers who, just like those they are policing, find it difficult to ever feel truly safe in the city they are supposed to make safe.

Theroux also meets the victims of crime and people on the other end of hard-line police tactics: drug users, dealers and an increasingly cynical public who, with every police raid, grow more determined not to cooperate or "snitch".

This is a community in which the more the police try to contain lawlessness, the more they alienate the very community they are trying to protect. It is also one in which a new drug dealer rises up to replace each one that is arrested. But Theroux also finds a police officer - with years of experience - who seems to have won the trust and confidence of the people on the street, and a local street boss who has imposed his own strange version of law and order on his corner of the city.

Just saw the trailer on BBC4, looks excellent.

I just watched the one about him trying to interview Michael Jackson and it was fascinating. Not sure how I missed it before. Basically a failure in terms of actually finding anything out about him but really interesting, almost more like a 'making of' documentary.

I just watched the one about him trying to interview Michael Jackson and it was fascinating. Not sure how I missed it before. Basically a failure in terms of actually finding anything out about him but really interesting, almost more like a 'making of' documentary.

And his brother shamelessly trying to make a bit of money out of him if i remember correctly.

I still to this day love the UFO one, when that guys starts channeling Zortan (off top of my head but close if its wrong) an alien, its hilarious.

"Central Control, Central Control, this is Zortan"

And his brother shamelessly trying to make a bit of money out of him if i remember correctly.

It's his friend actually, who they pay $5000 to arrange the interview with Joe Jackson. That's one of my favourite bits, to see Louis for once lose his cool and seem out of his depth. When Joe Jackson has just wasted their entire interview time promoting bands that he manages, and Louis is desperately trying to get something from the interview at the end. He starts saying something but doesn't really get to a point and Joe says "What's the question?" and Louis just goes "uhh..." and freezes, then apologises.

Wasn't it also the case Louis wanted to do the Jackson interview but Uri Geller pulled some strings to instead get Martin Bashir to do it? Presumably thinking it would be done in a more positive light however in reality the 'official' documentary stitched Jackson up and Louis probably would have done quite fairer, honest job of it.

(Pretty sure I've not made that all up)

Wasn't it also the case Louis wanted to do the Jackson interview but Uri Geller pulled some strings to instead get Martin Bashir to do it? Presumably thinking it would be done in a more positive light however in reality the 'official' documentary stitched Jackson up and Louis probably would have done quite fairer, honest job of it.

Basically yeah, at the start Louis talks to Uri who says that he won't reccomend that Jackson should do an interview with him because Louis not to turn it into a 'negative' thing. Then there's a weird bit at the end where Louis asks him to apologise to him - I dunno if he was just taking the piss or what, but it made Louis seem like a bit of a dick. It's not as if Louis would have avoided controversy if he had been given the opportunity, I'm sure he'd have been happy to get the admissions about sleeping with children etc.

There sure is a lot of stupid comments in this thread. Lets recap on the worst so far:

The man is a legend.

Reminds me of Chris Rock's line about Tupac and Biggie being assassinated.

Watching 'When Louis Met Jimmy' right now:

Louis - "You used to be a wrestler?"

Jimmy - "Still am. I'm feared in every girls school in the country."

Louis - "Which means...?"

:)

BBC2 has announced details of Louis Theroux’s next, controversial, film.

Louis Theroux: A Place for Paedophiles is due to air at the start of next month. In it, the reporter visits Coalinga Mental Hospital in California, which houses more than 500 of the most disturbed criminals in America – convicted paedophiles.

Most have already served lengthy prison sentences, but have been deemed unsafe for release. Instead they have been sent here for an indefinite time. They have only two choices: accept the fact they will never live as free men in society again, or submit to a programme of rehabilitation and therapy run by the hospital’s psychologists.

Louis has gained access to Coalinga to film with patients and therapists, and to consider whether these men – whose history of sexual violence is often long and ingrained – could ever be sufficiently changed by therapy to justify their release.

Spending time with those undergoing treatment, Louis wrestles with whether he can ever allow himself to believe men whose whole history is defined by deception and deceit. At times the honesty of the patients appears disarming and sincere. At others, the language of therapy seems more to mask their true natures than to reveal them.

Among the patients Louis meets is James. After six years of therapy and a physical castration, he appears to have come to understand the enormity of the crimes he committed. He is determined to prove to society that he can be trusted again, and has been recommended for release by the hospital.

Over the course of Louis’ visit, he finds that, out of hundreds of men the hospital has accommodated, only 13 have ever completed the therapy programme. Most refuse even to participate, and many - fiercely deluded about their crimes – talk bitterly about the programme, arguing that the facilities it offers – therapy, tennis, softball, music – are designed less with the intention of rehabilitation than of the long–term incarceration of men who have already served their time.

Louis explores the dark world of Coalinga, and finds an institution committed to helping and treating people but also a place that ultimately offers society a way of confining its most loathed offenders for the rest of their days.

Source