rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
DonRumsfeld

Oldboy Remake - Spike Lee directs Josh Brolin

Odd, after all the suggestions that this would be a different interpretation of the source material, and quite different from the Korean version, half the shots in that trailer are just inferior versions of shots in the original version. Odd approach to take for a remake.

Brolin doesn't look intensely mad enough to me.

All of this, with a slight caveat, that Josh Brolin is immense in anything he does, even tepid shit like Gangster Squad.

Watched the original this week (it's on the US Netflix) and really enjoyed it. I thought the twist was great but managed to guess it just before the film officially revealed it. I think before he opens the album it all points towards that anyway though so guessing it isn't really an achievement. I did however say

"I bet that's his daughter" when he firsts meets her in the restaurant. Mainly just because of their reactions to each other. I quickly changed my mind on that though but didn't realise till the reveal that I was actually right

Anyway, now I've seen it, it'll be interesting to see this but from what I gather, the people who have seen it are saying it's pretty terrible. Standing at a 4.1 on IMDB.

It really is. Spike Lee's response has been unsurprising too. I love his films but he seems like a total prick. Stuff like this happens far too often in the creative industry. As wanky as this sounds, I'll probably give the film a miss out of principal now.

• Upvote 1

apparently the hammer scene has a cut in it against Lee's wishes......

Not just that scene, it has apparently had around 75 minutes cut out. Seems likely Lee just did this for the money anyway.

Apparently this isn't a remake but a imagining of the Manga the original Old Boy film was based on.

Still, that doesn't excuse that fact that this looks shit.

That isn't true at all, even though that was how it was spun when it was announced. They don't even mention the manga in the credits apparently.

Out of curiosity I watched this, its not a patch on the original which I sort of expected but it was passable. It was interesting to how see how they interpreted certain scenes, and there's nice nods to the original but it wasn't terrible and I sort of liked the ending better.