rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
DonRumsfeld

Oldboy Remake - Spike Lee directs Josh Brolin

Oh dear lord. I have only ever seen Will Smith act in one film, that was Ali. Any other films he's been in that have been good have just been so because he happens to have a certain charisma. He can't play a character with such complexity, no way, not unless they change the film drastically.

What egos on these American fools to think that they could improve, or even attempt to match, what is simply *THE* greatest revenge film ever made.

The Fresh Prince doing the hammer fight in the corridor. Good god, as someone else said on these forums recently, these truly are the end days.

Oldboy is all flawed brilliance until the corny-as-hell ending with a sicko twist to sweeten the poison. I suppose that's what got Hollywood interested (sans the sicko bit).

This is a turd in the making. I expect the last film in the trilogy to be similarly sucked up, reconstituted in the Gut of the Quantifier, and shat out onto the box office on account of its even more horrid denouement.

Sympathy For Mr Vengeance is where it'll always be at for me. Never extend a metaphor. (Unless you're Kieslowski, in which case gawd bless ya, Guv'nor.)

I remember loving this when it came out. Doesn't it have a really awesome opening scene? I vaguely remember a shaking hand on top of a building or something.

It's a great film. I think it'll be interesting to see what Spielberg does with it. It won't diminish the original, and would probably serve to get the original more views, which is a good thing. Sequels can diminish the original, but I don't think remakes do.

Indeed. There are many American remakes of foreign films that are far better than the originals, for example The Departed, Funny Games, The Vanishing, Sorcerer, The Wicker Man, The Assassin, etc...the list goes on. The directors often have a better appreciation of the sensibilities of a 'movie' audience. There's no reason why this should be any different.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Indeed. There are many American remakes of foreign films that are far better than the originals, for example The Departed, Funny Games, The Vanishing, Sorcerer, The Wicker Man, The Assassin, etc...the list goes on. The directors often have a better appreciation of the sensibilities of a 'movie' audience. There's no reason why this should be any different.

Going by some of your examples, I don't know wether to think your being serious or just subtly taking the proverbial :unsure:

Hollywood remaking this modern-day Korean classic is one thing, but Will Smith in the lead role aswell, really?!?

I liked the Departed, I mean, what a cast. That whole ensemble was quality across the board. Not seen the one it's based on, though.

Oh and enough with the Will Smith dissing. He rules. I hope Uncle Phil and Carlton have bit parts in the new Oldboy.

• Downvote 1

Oh and enough with the Will Smith dissing. He rules. I hope Uncle Phil and Carlton have bit parts in the new Oldboy.

Nothing wrong with Big Willie, a very charismatic film star, but in this role, hmmmm.

The Departed was a good entertaining flick, certainly better than the last Scorsese one I watched (Gangs of New York) and if nothing else, at least he finally bagged the Oscar he so deserved as a result of directing it ;)

The Departed was a good entertaining flick

It's a load of crap. The fact that Scorsese got an Oscar for it just serves to underline what an irrelevance the award is, if it ever needed underlining.

It's a load of crap. The fact that Scorsese got an Oscar for it just serves to underline what an irrelevance the award is, if it ever needed underlining.

Why exactly is it crap?

Scorsese's Oscar may have been for the wrong film as he's deserved one for a long time, but that's American movie establishment politics for you, at least he finally got one.

It manages to strip all the dramatic tension out that existed in the original, and the performances are mostly fucking stinkers.

But even if those things weren't the case, it deserves burying simply for that bit at the end with the rat on the window sill. Hey guys, the system's full of rats, GEDDIT!?! RATS!!!!

It manages to strip all the dramatic tension out that existed in the original, and the performances are mostly fucking stinkers.

But even if those things weren't the case, it deserves burying simply for that bit at the end with the rat on the window sill. Hey guys, the system's full of rats, GEDDIT!?! RATS!!!!

Ahh, I see. That maybe the problem, I (I suppose like most of the intended target audience) haven't seen the original yet so had no point of reference to compare it with. Very few remakes are usually equal, let alone superior to their source, c'est la vie, at least the original exists to prove that point :blink:

This won't even be as good as Zindi. The only reason the Yanks like to make films based on another film or book or game is that it brings an existing audience with it, even though they always change things so much it may as well be called Jean Claude Van Damme's Kickboxer 7.

I hope they make Will Smith swallow a CGI real live octopus.

He'll go into a toy store instead, and take out his hungry rage on a stuffed dinosaur.