IGNORED

Upgrading to a 120gb 360 hard drive - DIY style

davejm

At the risk of going 360LOL, why the tit didn't MS just do what Sony did and let you slot in any old drive and get the machine to format it? Surely the lost external HDD sales wouldn't have exceeded the amount of extra shit people would download/ bought and installed knowing they've got about 300GB to play with.

That and MS are obsessed with 'revenue streams' - even if said streams damage their business overall. You would think that it would be in their best interest to get as many people playing online and downloading content. However in order to do that you have to buy a stupendously overpriced drive along with a £40 live subscription. Tossers.

You can't flash a 120gb drive with a HDDSS.BIN file from a 20gb one. So yeah, everyone will be using a downloaded .BIN file with the same 'id' as plenty of other people.

I'm taking the risk. I can understand them cracking down on pirates, but I don't think they'd ban people over this.

They'd better not, I'll be really pissed if they do.

Once it's had the firmware flashed and been formatted as a 360 drive, you can use a USB/SATA adapter to manipulate the contents using the Xplorer360 software in Windows.

You need to connect the drive directly to a SATA header on the motherboard to do the firmware flash, though.

I did this. It was a nightmare to get working, but I guess I was a special case, with my N-Force motherboard. (You have to edit the flash program using a hex editor!)

Oh aye, I forgot I had to do that too. It just wouldn't work with one of the SATA controllers on my motherboard at all, and needed hex-editing before working with the other one.

Anyway, if you have done this, does the new NXE update work alright? (or do you get instantly banned? :D )

Works fine. Looks like they can't tell, or don't care.

Yeah, there's no way of knowing 100%. I can't imagine they would though, it'd be a PR nightmare for them.

Latest update for me, is that I never did manage to transfer all my content over using explorer360. Whatever I did sent me in an endless loop of copying. In the end, I managed to use a memory card to transfer all my saved games across, which was all I needed anyway.

Although, I connected my new drive up to the PC again to transfer partition 2 over, and exporer360 only detects partition 1 now. *sigh*

Still, it works fine with NXE and I've managed to start transfering my games across to the hard drive.

couldnt find another thread about hard drives...so i thought id ask here.

I have a 20gb hdd, which ive had since just prior to launch. I've got just over 2.5 gb of game saves, DLC and media on it...but its showing that i only have 6gb of space available on the drive? this isnt usually of any bother to me, but now i can install games to the hdd...its got me curious.

Does anyone know what could have happened to that other 11.5gb or so? :(

Here's another tip that took me ages to nail - before you put the drive back in your Xbox 360 caddy, make a bootable DOS disk CD or USB stick with Hitachi Feature Tool to make sure you've enabled the drive's acoustic management (quieter head seeks - reduces disk chattering). I think that the default state was enabled but I can't remember.

The next thing is that these notebook drives are set up to aggressively park the heads to reduce the chance of shock damage. You may hear this as a sharp tick just before each disk access, and there are quite a few articles where Linux users have noticed that their Western Digital notebook drives are failing after as little as one year. This head parking is the culprit, since most drives only park a certain number of times before they fail mechanically. The Hitachi tool cannot unset this idle timeout, so we need a Western Digital specific tool. Sadly their downloadable tool suite can't control this, but they have an older DOS utility called wdidle3.exe that fixes it. It's mentioned in the article I linked to, but you can get it here. Make a DOS bootable disk and copy it on. If you don't have a floppy drive, then you can use this hp tool to force a USB memory stick to behave as a bootable floppy.

If you use "wdidle3 /R" you'll notice that by default the drive is set to park its heads after 8 seconds. This is way too conservative, so I just disabled it completely with "wdidle3 /D".

This should prolong the life of your drive, and get rid of the ticking sound.

Guys who have done this all successfully; what did you do with your saves? How did you transfer them from the 20Gb drive to the 120Gb one, bearing in mind that they're meant to be "tied" to the ID of the device they were originally saved to?

Is it as simple as dragging and dropping between drives using Xplorer360, or do you need to do something else?

Just wondering because I'm considering an Xport to back everything up in case of HD failure, but want to be able to copy them all back from PC to another HD if I buy one. Also, a mate has asked me to help him do the DIY upgrade from 20 to 120Gb, but I'm not sure what I should do with all his saves.

Help!

Xplorer360 is a little rough around the edges - a "full backup" will mangle partition 3 that seems to have all your content and saves on. My method was:

1) In Xplorer 360 run a full backup of the 20GB disk

2) Mod the 120GB drive using hddhackr and "that 120GB disk id", making sure it's the only SATA device attached to your motherboard

3) Xplorer360 will refuse to restore to the blank disk (no FATX partitions detected) so you need to put it in the cradle and format it on the console

4) Back on the PC use Xplorer360 to do a full restore of that image to the 120GB. You need to be sure you're using the Extreme Edition otherwise you'll need to mod the drive again. It will totally knacker partition 3, leaving you bricking it that you've lost all your saves. If you open your backup and browse it you'll see this partition is damaged in the backup too.

5) On the 120GB drive partitions 1 & 2 will have been restored ok though so you can delete that 20GB backup file from the PC. Partition 1 is the 360 disk cache IIRC, and partition 2 is the Xbox 1 emulator. Return the 120GB to the console and format again (this will in fact only format partition 3).

6) Plug the 20GB into your PC and, using Xplorer360, browse to partition 3 and manually drag the folders onto a new folder on your PC's hard disk. Like WinRAR and WinZip the sodding thing will actually extract to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp before it moves it to your specified extraction location so you need to have plenty of space on C:

N.B. drag and drop will not work here on Vista unless you turn off UAC.

7) If you have Xbox 1 saves that you want to migrate from a modded Xbox 1, take the relevant Game ID folders from E:\TDATA, and E:\UDATA on the Xbox 1. You can use Xbox Save manager to help you figure out which ID numbers to take for which games. Apparently for this to work, you need to have first loaded the relevant games on the 360 and created empty new saves on the 360's HD.

:) Attach the 120GB to your PC and manually drag the folders you copied from partition 3 from your PC to the newly formatted partition 3. Add the Xbox 1 saves by putting them in Partition 3\Compatibility\Xbox 1\UDATA and TDATA respectively, overwriting the existing contents. I got this from the guide on Eurogamer here. Obviously if you have a modded Xbox 1 you don't need a Datel thingy, but their instructions could help others. This method definitely worked for Halo 2 for me.

9) Make a DOS bootdisk/USB key with wdidle3.exe on it and remove the 8 second hard disk head parking timer as per my post above.

Put the 120GB back in the caddy for the final time and you're good to go. As the previous poster said, very few games have saves tied to drive ID.

If a few people get this to work then it might be worth stickying like the PS3 one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank god i found this forum. Been searching for a solution for weeks. Had the same problem as Elmlea with the Hong Kong 120gb hdd not having the backward compatibilty partition. At least i know there's a way i can fix it now. Any chance someone's got a copy of partition 2 i could download from them as i sold my 20gb hdd before i realized i had a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
It's slightly comforting to know it wasn't just me! Did you get it sorted ok? I've got a copy of the partition buried somewhere on the off chance Dave removes his link in the future.

Nobody has got back to me as of yet..........but hopefully someone will have a copy somewhere. Took me a while to figure out exactly what the problem was and surprisingly this forum was the only one I found with this information. I guess there are a lot of people who have done this but haven't tried to play original xbox 1 games yet......

Just tried this now and it worked like a charm, thank you so much \o/

Just restored partition 2 from the backup you gave me. Only shame now is that I was doing this to play through the Prince of Persia trilogy and it only seems to emulate Sands of Time :wub:

Guess you can't have everything!

Cheers again :wacko:

Just tried this now and it worked like a charm, thank you so much \o/

Just restored partition 2 from the backup you gave me. Only shame now is that I was doing this to play through the Prince of Persia trilogy and it only seems to emulate Sands of Time :wub:

Guess you can't have everything!

Cheers again :wacko:

They never bothered making the others backward compatible, mores the shame.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...