ATP 2009

larrydavidsanger

All Tomorrow's Parties have revealed details of the line-up for their double bash in May.

Week one, which takes place at Butlins Holiday Resort in Minehead from May 8-10 is titled ATP Vs The Fans II - The Fans Strike Back, and gives fans the chance to curate half the line-up.

Acts will be chosen by ATP (already confirmed are DEVO, Sleep, Spiritualized and Grails) and ticket-buyers can also vote for their favourites with only one rule: that the bands cannot have played a UK ATP event before.

Week two takes place at the same venue from May 15-17 and sees The Breeders curate a bill of more than 40 artists. The line-up announced so far includes Throwing Muses, Bon Iver, Teenage Fanclub and Holy Fuck.

Sleep!!!!!! :angry: Amazing! Fingers crossed for the entire Dopesmoker album

It seems interesting that Sleep should reform so soon after the original lineup of Om split, who essentially were Sleep minus Matt Pike. ATP can't be offering them that much money, especially considering that this is supposedly a never to be repeated reunion.

Anyway, would love to see them as well as Grails who I've wanted to catch for ages now.

• 3 weeks later...

The Jesus Lizard reform!!!

All Tomorrow’s Parties are extremely excited to announce that THE JESUS LIZARD have reformed and will perform at the Fans Strike Back festival in 2009.

In what has to rank as one of the most unlikely developments in rock, the awe-inspiring primal force of the Jesus Lizard will return, briefly, in 2009. The original lineup of David Yow, Duane Denison, David Wm. Sims and Mac McNeilly will reform for a very limited series of live dates in 2009, starting with the All Tomorrow’s Parties event dubbed The Fans Strike Back in Minehead, UK on May 9 and 10 and ending with a final appearance in Chicago in late November. These shows will be the Jesus Lizard’s first since disbanding in 1999 and the first in twelve years to feature the original storied quartet. As anyone who has experienced the Jesus Lizard live can attest, they are one of the most intense and visceral musical assemblies to ever stalk a stage. This fleeting reunion offers an incredible opportunity to either be blown away all over again or to immerse yourself in the sweaty power and driving mayhem for the very first time.

In celebration of this event, Touch and Go Records will reissue four full-length releases from the Jesus Lizard in May 2009. Remastered recordings of Head, Goat, Liar, and Down will be available on both LP and CD, all with expanded packaging and liner notes. Bob Weston is heading up the remastering process with Steve Albini, the original session engineer, sitting in.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Primavera next year so I'm hoping they're playing there too.

Oh fuckkkk.

Teenage Fanclub! Devo! Sleep! Bon Iver! Spiritualised! Antipop Consortium! Holy Fuck! Throwing Muses! Deerhunter!

Why are all my mates tasteless when it comes down to musical matters? At least 20% of my motivation for university will be to find people to attend events like this with. Between the two weekends there are some truly awesome bands up there.

As great as all of this is, ATP does risk becoming a arty equivalent of those Back to The 80s revival tours. It could get a bit out of hand.

Shut the fuck up! it's the fucking JESUS LIZARD!!!

(i don't mean it, i'm just excited)

I've seen Gang of four and shellac so fans it is. Jesus Lizard and Sleep just beats all.

Although i'm trying for both.

As great as all of this is, ATP does risk becoming a arty equivalent of those Back to The 80s revival tours. It could get a bit out of hand.

I don't think it's even all that great. Le sigh, but I guess one shouldn't take it personally if the majority of ATP fans like it. I just hate reformation tours full stop. Looks like Primavera for my gang next year then, hopefully it'll be a nice change and we'll still catch the best bits (and have something to avoid being trapped in a retro timewarp).

Cheers. I think we were about due a change to something like this anyway, so maybe I should be thankful. To be honest, the grot of (Camber Sands) ATP is part of the charm in many ways. Last year was so awesome (beach cricket and fine music and oh so much more) that it feels sad not to be doing it every year, but it'd probably not measure up in the same way again.

• 1 month later...

After the pound taking a suicidal nosedive, Primavera looks as though it'll be out of the question this year so will probably be attending the Vs The Fans ATP. Without wanting to turn this into a list thread, has anyone considering going thought about who they'll vote for? We were talking about it the other night and it's pretty tough; both finding bands that haven't played before as names kept cropping up who'd annoyingly played in 2001 or whatever, and then actually trimming a list to 10 after that process.

My list at the moment works out as:

El-P

Circle

HEALTH

Dillinger Escape Plan

Marnie Stern

Neurosis

Andrew WK

Rhys Chatham

Girl Talk

Liquid Liquid

After the pound taking a suicidal nosedive, Primavera looks as though it'll be out of the question this year so will probably be attending the Vs The Fans ATP. Without wanting to turn this into a list thread, has anyone considering going thought about who they'll vote for? We were talking about it the other night and it's pretty tough; both finding bands that haven't played before as names kept cropping up who'd annoyingly played in 2001 or whatever, and then actually trimming a list to 10 after that process.

My list at the moment works out as:

El-P

Circle

HEALTH

Dillinger Escape Plan

Marnie Stern

Neurosis

Andrew WK

Rhys Chatham

Girl Talk

Liquid Liquid

El-P has played it twice according to the list you linked. In 2001 and 2003, both times with Murs. Don't really see how that woulda worked, actually.

I don't get this voting thing. Is there a pool of acts you can choose from, or can you choose anyone? What's to stop you voting, like, Michael Jackson?

Ben, you need to get your act together and sort the Pimavera ticket, PRONTO.

Good work on HEALTH and The Pink Mountaintops, although they aint exactly leaving a shit load of bands for the punter to choose from. Must confess I've neve heard of either Shearwater or The Acorn <checks wikipedia> Hardly surprised...

I can't see Primavera happening this year unfortunately, we did the maths and it wasn't really doable/justifiable for me or my friends I was going with. I spent a fortune when I went to Sonar last year and it would be even more expensive again due to the shitty pound. Sad face.

El-P has played it twice according to the list you linked. In 2001 and 2003, both times with Murs. Don't really see how that woulda worked, actually.

I don't get this voting thing. Is there a pool of acts you can choose from, or can you choose anyone? What's to stop you voting, like, Michael Jackson?

He hasn't played on his own so it should be OK. Spiritualized have played before in a slightly different incarnation so I can't see why it'll be disallowed. You can vote for whoever you want that hasn't played ATP before, so Michael Jackson would be available. May be slightly over their budget though.