Harmonix - "The Beatles"

Eighthours

So are the drums, I tried Come Together on expert yesterday, with my broken pedal(which makes it a bit harder).

Was pracitising rolls instead of multiple hits with one stick and nearly got it sorted now.

Next is getting my son to teach me how to play it on the real drums. Cos I'm rubbish on them.

It's not weird or arbitrary, it's just an opinion. I never said anything about licencing costs, or that I expected hundreds of songs, and I really don't "care" when the DLC is released because naturally I have the choice not to buy it. All I said was that IMO it's a bit cheeky to already have DLC available before anyone has even had a chance to play the songs on the disc.

But given no reason other than a terrible restaurant analogy. To follow your own tortured thought process through to its logical conclusion do you get upset when waiters bring you the menu and it has desserts printed on the back? 'STOP GOUGING ME BEFORE I'VE HAD A CHANCE TO ORDER SOUP'. It just makes no sense, you want to get upset about it then that's your prerogative of course, but don't try make out that it has some basis in sanity.

Ah. So let's say I had two friends who could sing, and we decided to go for the 'three part harmony' achievements. It would only go to whichever one of us had the 'mics' profile signed in, and all three of us would have to do it three times to get the achivements for all of us?

Yeah yeah I know, it's only an achievement. But I got the full 1000/1000 on Rock Band 2 and I'd like to try and do the same on this one... :)

I'm not too sure how profiles work on the 360 versions of Rock Band games, as I usually play on the PS3, but I think that's right, yeah. One profile/user for all singers. Two of you won't be active users, just 'helpers' for the main profile.

I guess that was the easiest way to get it to work.

Was playing last night and whilst I was aware of the number of tracks on the disc I was still surprised at how quickly we worked through them. Not all done yet, but will be tonight. Although the challenges will still need to be done. I don't really mind though as there seems to plenty of DL content to look forward to in the near future. Speaking of which, I have All You Need is Love already, and I was wondering; is it the case that you can you only play DL tracks in quick play mode?

I have All You Need is Love already

What's the background footage? Is it a proper dream sequence or is it just them in the studio for the whole thing?

I think I Want You (She's So Heavy) and Here Comes The Sun are so perfect for this kind of game. The end of the former sounds like the apocalypse. The game is everything I wanted it to be - I think I'll spend the weekend watching the Anthology DVD's again.

What's the background footage? Is it a proper dream sequence or is it just them in the studio for the whole thing?

Not had a chance to play it yet - been working through the story. I did really enjoy Here Comes The Sun. Also While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which I played on Expert on account of the flawless solo achievement and I missed out on by 2 notes on my first crack. There's a reason, as if one were needed, to return to it.

Studio, with something psychadelic and the words "All You Need Is Love" displayed very large at appropriate moments. More contextual than your standard RB download, but since I've not played any of the dream sequences, I couldn't say how it compares.

Okay, I'm not a big Beatles fan at all but I need this.

I have a US PS3 copy of RB2 with a shit load of DLC but I quite fancy the UK version to save fucking around with buying store cards on ebay.

Is there any cross functionality at all with RB2 or is it completely stand alone?

Completely stand alone.

Y'know what? I'm sitting here at work listening to (the majority of) Abbey Road and I'm definitely buying this today.

Fuck my friends if they won't play it with me, the Beatles have got some amazing songs and I'm going to sing my lungs out to them.

Good stuff! It is infinitely more enjoyable with others though, especially when doing harmonies, good or bad.

Also, about going into the game thinking Ringo's drumming is easy: be careful of I Wanna Be Your Man (I think that's it). One of the most relentless songs for your dominant hand, insane speeds! Good Morning Good Morning is possibly one of the best ones though, some fun stuff in there.

Also, about going into the game thinking Ringo's drumming is easy: be careful of I Wanna Be Your Man (I think that's it). One of the most relentless songs for your dominant hand, insane speeds!

Yeah, I ended up getting an 800 something streak on that before my hand/wrist just stopped working. Insane. :)

I love the way they handle trophies (and I assume, achievements) in this game, i.e. the way you can see how far towards getting the trophy as opposed to simply getting on at an arbitrary point, gives me even more incentive to work towards them when I can see how close I am to getting them.

The game itself is fantastic, my only disappointment is that there isn't a more extensive game mode like RB1/2's World Tour, and if its true that DLC won't be integrated into Story Mode, I'm even more disappointed, I never play RB2 in "Quickplay" mode, only ever in World Tour. It just feels like they could have tossed a few more game modes into this to opening it the game up a bit. Perhaps they were limited by what they could do by The Beatles/Apple Corps themselves, as seems evident in the lack of guitar effects/whammy bar effects/drum fills.

But given no reason other than a terrible restaurant analogy. To follow your own tortured thought process through to its logical conclusion do you get upset when waiters bring you the menu and it has desserts printed on the back? 'STOP GOUGING ME BEFORE I'VE HAD A CHANCE TO ORDER SOUP'. It just makes no sense, you want to get upset about it then that's your prerogative of course, but don't try make out that it has some basis in sanity.

Yes, I've been barred from every restaurant in town for just that ;)

OK, so how about if Gears of War 3 launched with, let's say, 12 multiplayer maps on the disc, and another 6 as DLC on the day of release that you had to pay for? Or if Forza 3 launched with 100 tracks on the discs and another 50 as DLC that you had to pay for? Is that a good thing? I'd argue that it's not and is, in fact, a bit cheeky .... which is all I've said. I appreciate that there's a difference with music games, and that we're talking about one track (which as it turns out is for chariddy), but the general principle is still the same.

Personally, I don't think that would be a good thing and it's not something I want to see start to happen with other games and other publishers. I'm not upset, or crying into my keyboard, or flaming Amazon reviews in protest, I just think it's a bit cheeky.

I understand perfectly why you think otherwise, I just don't feel the need to question your sanity :(

OK, so how about if Gears of War 3 launched with, let's say, 12 multiplayer maps on the disc, and another 6 as DLC on the day of release that you had to pay for? Or if Forza 3 launched with 100 tracks on the discs and another 50 as DLC that you had to pay for? Is that a good thing? I'd argue that it's not and is, in fact, a bit cheeky .... which is all I've said. I appreciate that there's a difference with music games, and that we're talking about one track (which as it turns out is for chariddy), but the general principle is still the same.

Personally, I don't think that would be a good thing and it's not something I want to see start to happen with other games and other publishers. I'm not upset, or crying into my keyboard, or flaming Amazon reviews in protest, I just think it's a bit cheeky.

I understand perfectly why you think otherwise, I just don't feel the need to question your sanity :(

I can't believe this many words has been posted because of a single, Xbox360 exclusive, DLC song, for which the profits go to charity.

Really is a lovely game, this. Can't quite believe I considered giving it a miss. Fortunately my lack of willpower got the better of me.

Guitar Hero V can wait till payday, though. Can't justify another music game so soon. I haven't even half finished GH: Smash Hits, even though I'm the only person in the world who actually prefers the GH series (since Metallica came out, at least) to the RB series.

Well the sort of content you're talking about is hardly comparable to a single song being ready for day one DLC. I mean, 50 DLC race tracks on day one? That'd mean they'd obviously be ready way in advance of the game being 'finished' and wouldn't be OK. It's all about the genre too really. I mean music games and DLC come hand in hand these days. As has already been said, they were very clear about the DLC from the start, they've not tricked anyone or anything like that, and it's far from the Capcom method of "Oh, yeah, he's the key to unlock stuff already on the disc! Ha!"

Really is a lovely game, this. Can't quite believe I considered giving it a miss. Fortunately my lack of willpower got the better of me.

Guitar Hero V can wait till payday, though. Can't justify another music game so soon. I haven't even half finished GH: Smash Hits, even though I'm the only person in the world who actually prefers the GH series (since Metallica came out, at least) to the RB series.

GH: Metallica is great, but playing Beatles: Rock Band makes me wish Harmonix got hold of Metallica. ;)

That'd mean they'd obviously be ready way in advance of the game being 'finished' and wouldn't be OK.

So 'everything that is finished' must be on the disc, regardless of the price of the game or how much it cost to make? I don't follow that line of thought at all. Content costs money and needs to be budgeted for, regardless of when it's made.

GH: Metallica is great, but playing Beatles: Rock Band makes me wish Harmonix got hold of Metallica. :(

Neversoft did well with Metallica. It's surprisingly fun to play and well produced. However, The Beatles is simply in another league. It's unprecedentedly good. ;)

GH: Metallica is great, but playing Beatles: Rock Band makes me wish Harmonix got hold of Metallica. :(

I couldn't disagree more, but I'm not getting into that debate again. ;)

The Beatles game is stunning. And for once you won't hear me complaining about the lack of double bass drum support. :(

It's still rubbish having open hi-hat on blue, though. And that is genuinely the worst thing I can think of to say about the whole game. It's amazing.

OK, so how about if Gears of War 3 launched with, let's say, 12 multiplayer maps on the disc, and another 6 as DLC on the day of release that you had to pay for? Or if Forza 3 launched with 100 tracks on the discs and another 50 as DLC that you had to pay for? Is that a good thing?

If DLC was somehow mandatory, as your Gears example suggests then I'd agree a line has been crossed but I've never encountered mandatory DLC. Other than that I have no issue with your scenarios. You know what content the game is released with, if that's not sufficient in your eyes then don't buy it. I don't see why you'd care if the DLC was available day one or even if it comes on the disc as an unlock. Just because it was being developed at the same time as the game you've bought doesn't mean you have some claim to it. I genuinely don't understand how this is an issue for folk.