rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Streets_Disciple

Dubstep

Ok had a few tunes passed onto me, they are more the heavier variety but god damn they are gooood!

The Widdler - Go Ask Alice - Love the 2nd bass drop at around 3 minutes

16Bit - Chainsaw Calligraphy - Not sure if this has been posted here before, a sickening tune when listened to on a decent system

I suggest checking out more of The Widdler, very nice tunes indeed. I have a few 320 rips if anyone would like them.

some one linked me

pretty nice

i have been having a play with Massive, its easy to see where all these awesome basslines come from

Saw Skream and Drop The Lime last night. Skream did a disco set, and walked into the smoking area hearing me say "When's Skream on", just in time to shout back "He's just finished mate". Dread. Had a nice chat with the boy though, sound as a pound.

Drop The Lime was all out badness. When he dropped Bricks at the end... Next level shit, most def'.

Plastician has this week made streamable on Myspace the tracks he produced when he was still known as Plasticman.

Plastician Myspace

HEEEEEAVY. Must be about 5-6 years old now I guess?

http://www.thefatclub.com/we-fear-silence-...lubbing-london/

Apart from Chew the Fat!, what other nights have you got coming up? Does We Fear Silence have a particular ethos in terms of sound or direction?

After the 27th March the next event is on April 17th. It’s a Drum Bass night featuring all the artists in the A Bunch of Cuts Collective (Marcus Intalex, Calibre, D Bridge, Doc Scott & Klute) and guests. In May, Gilles Peterson does his first night and we start a residency from DJ Pinch and his Dubstep label Tectonic. We are trying to embrace diversity but also quality.

noice

Been listening to some new Si Begg and Neil Landstrumm stuff

I think I'm a bit behind the times as I'd call it 'grime', but everyone talks about dubstep these days.

So, help me out...

Say this track Dirty Butcher which is a good example of what I'm on about - dubstep? grime? or neither?

Post-grime bleepstep? :)

Been listening to some new Si Begg and Neil Landstrumm stuff

I think I'm a bit behind the times as I'd call it 'grime', but everyone talks about dubstep these days.

So, help me out...

Say this track Dirty Butcher which is a good example of what I'm on about - dubstep? grime? or neither?

Post-grime bleepstep? :)

I'm not sure that anything in this thread could really be classed as grime, it's a bit of a different beast (although there are obvious similarities) - there are "Grime" compilations on Rephlex, which are full of dubstep just to confuse matters.

I don't think Landstrumm really fits neatly in anywhere, but he's clearly working along the same lines as the ravier end of the dubstep crew like Zomby and Rustie, with lashings of techno thrown in too - check out some of the artists in the "wonky" thread. I've seen him described as "ravestep" but genre tags like that are all a little ridiculous. New wave of Nu-Rave?

There's a recent live set from Landstrumm to download here - good stuff!

there are "Grime" compilations on Rephlex, which are full of dubstep just to confuse matters.

Yes I have those, this is probably where all my confusion stems from.

Ahh balls to it, it's just music. ;)

The Skream Nike+ track, which I didn't know about at all, has leaked today. It's good shit, although a bit of a departure from what I expecting - more bleepy and synthy, less huge bassdrops. The main track is about 30 minutes long, it's exactly the same as the radio edit though - just all the sections are extended:

Skream - Galassia (Radio Edit)

There's a weird sound that keeps cropping up throughout that freaks me out a little as it doesn't sound like it's coming from my speakers - sounds like the Windows Sticky Key sample.

I might go see Shackleton live in Belfast in a few weeks. Could be good.

Shackleton live is totally sweet. I'm supporting him in Dublin, probably the same weekend as Belfast i'd guess? 12th June?

Aye, 13th in Belfast. Black Box is a great place too.

Typically, it had to be a Frenchman that brought some sexiness to dubstep.

Von D feat Phe Phe - Show Me

It's the third one down on the Myspace player. Not yet released, so that's the only version of the track available (with the rewind and the MC) but it's definitely worth a listen regardless. Some people are jokily calling it "Lovestep", but it's just really smooth, nice emotional dubstep, with a great bassline.

Skream has already attempted a remix of the track on his myspace. Unfortunately it's nowhere near the original in quality, attempting instead (and failing) to turn the track into his next "In For The Kill" crossover hit, somehow managing to make the vocals sound out of tune.

Joker will be bad!

Bar 9's in Leicester next Friday, with Caspa playing on the 9th. Should be badmantings!

Nice posts in the topic. Havent' checked out the dubstep scene in a while.

Just listened to Dizzee's Respect Me; it's got a nice dubstep subtlety to it.

Finally got round to seeing Skream live in a 90 minute set, and he was exactly as I'd heard rumours said he would be. Utterly wasted 5 minutes into the set (despite this we watched him chug another 4 cans of Stella!), but with a really, really great track selection. His mixing fell down on occassion, especially towards the end, and by the time he was really really drunk for his last few songs he completely misjudged the mood of the crowd, putting on dark eerie dubstep when everyone was reaching their peak and screaming for something heavy, killing the vibe completely.

Still, would probably see him again, his tunes more than made up for his mixing, he played some really good stuff.

Just listened to Dizzee's Respect Me; it's got a nice dubstep subtlety to it.

DJ Wonder on the buttons for that one, think the beat is called "What". He had an album out a few years ago, but nothing even approaching the quality and menace of Respect Me.