Not clever as in anyone can load massive and use that preset. I'm fucking bored of it, change the record already!

Surely it's not too much to ask for a 2nd synth bass in brostep? Or even a 3/4/5/6th one ffs.

I like my dance music to continously push forward and evolve, not sound like it's been stuck in a rut for 2 years.

• Upvote 1

The best thing about that KTN remix is the parts he lifted from the original.

Just to save you the hassle:

I didn't realise Porter Robinson had started to branch out stylistically speaking, but this is far closer to dubstep than any of the other electro-house he's famous for and it's far better than the remix. The remix adds nothing, IMO. I'm a big fan of brostep, or at least I was up until the middle of last year when it completely stopped progressing. Hell, it's about guns, robots and win! But that generic robot GRRRINNNNDDDDD noise people talk about... Yeah. It's totally on the KTN remix and it's -no bullshit- exactly the same Massive preset that Excision et al were using 18 months ago.

I think drumstep is the logical conclusion (replacement?) for the brostep niché, the awful Skrillex/Nero/whatever shite that gets onto Radio 1 these days isn't even dubstep, I never really 'got' the whole hipsteresq not wanting anyone else to know about your band thing but having watched it happen right in front of my eyes to a genre I love, suddenly I'm a believer. Mary-Anne Hobbes is one thing, but Chris Moyles playing a Skrillex remix of a Nero track at 8am on a Tuesday? No. Sorry, just no.

[/rant].

I digress. Have my favourite piece of drumstep at the moment. If this went off in a club I'd totally lose it.

• Upvote 1

Spainkiller I'd suggest (and I'm sure neom would too) that you check out Reso if you like big sounds, he can produce that in like 5 minutes but the real fun comes from realising that each of his tracks is about 40 layers deep and he rips drum loops into tiny little pieces in order to create something new. The dude is an ultra-nerd producing what is IMO, the most technically fantastic shit out there. Also unlike brostep which tends to butthug 60hz and up, Reso goes deep, his tracks having seriously forceful 33hz basslines which will rattle your chest on a decent system, even his chilled tracks like Hemisphere have deep chest rumbling basslines...

His latest release Ishimura (yes that's a Dead Space reference)

http://youtu.be/xw7sydUoL58

This is his previous release War Machine which is a drumstep track and one of the most visceral things I've ever put in my ears.

http://youtu.be/btM9kQg0XGA

Reso vs Vent - Rumble. This is pretty fucking fierce too

Otacon - this starts outs like something off a film soundtrack, really nice and chill but then it builds up and up and suddenly shit is getting serious until it steps on your chest with bassweight. It's a chilled feeling track but it's so. fucking. huge.

On the very same Temjin (Virtua On anyone?) EP there's this which is the most chilled out track ever, again with a serious bassline winding its way beneath the track from 55 seconds on...

He's a very talented producer so why he's such a secret is unknown to me, it just goes to show that talent means fuck all these days in a world of social networking and dick-sucking.

Check out his soundcloud page, it's all on there.

• Upvote 3

Voices of a Distant Star? His whole repertoire is fantastic, seems he can fairly easily turn his hand to dubstep, drum and bass, electro kinda stuff... Dude's just really really talented and it's really annoying that he's not the name on everyone's lips. Gutted I missed him a few weeks back in Birmingham.

For his drum and bass chops I dare say it doesn't really get much better than this, the drum programming on the break towards the end of this track is absolutely fucking insane. I dread to think how long it took to chop those samples up:

I bought a few vinyls of his not too long ago (including that War Machine dub plate) and they turfed in a Valken EP CD for free. I mean I've already bought those on mp3 but they don't actually sell a CD version of it... Awesome shit.

I do quite like Reso but he can be a bit too high energy for me, any of you guys here like Requake? He seems to hit the middle ground of nice deep bass with the mid not being too overdone, much closer to the style of Dubstep I fell in love with years go!

I've seen him live a few times, so deep on a big rig!

Dimensions

http://soundcloud.com/requake/dimensions

Blunt

http://soundcloud.com/requake/requake-blunt

Bredren ft. G Anna - Nightfall (Requake Remix)

http://soundcloud.com/requake/bredren-nightfall-requake-remix

Thalys

http://soundcloud.com/requake/requake-thalys

:eyebrows:

• Upvote 1
I never really 'got' the whole hipsteresq not wanting anyone else to know about your band thing but having watched it happen right in front of my eyes to a genre I love, suddenly I'm a believer. Mary-Anne Hobbes is one thing, but Chris Moyles playing a Skrillex remix of a Nero track at 8am on a Tuesday? No. Sorry, just no.p

I hear that. It's almost as painful listening to myself be a dull snob about what's happened to dubstep as it is actually listening to what's happened to dubstep

Any fans of Coda in here? Been hearing the name a lot over the last 6 months but these are the first original tracks of theirs I've listened to. Some really cool stuff going on here, the brass adds a really fresh sound to it rather than sounding tacked on and the overall tone is really minimal and vibey. Keep an eye on these guys.

Free EP on SoundCloud.

http://soundcloud.com/codamusicuk/sets/guerrilla-tactics/

Proper tunes, getting some old school dub vibes and a healthy dose of Foreign Beggars.

The new Untold EP is pretty nasty - two Techno style tracks with gradually expanding bass filth.

Untold - Motion the Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArpsqYF0gaQ

Also just bought the new 2562 EP "Air Jordan" - supposedly made from samples of field recordings he made on a recent trip to Jordan. Desert Lament sounds like fairly typical 2562 stuff, but the other 3 tracks are pretty far out. Hard to really judge it on Youtube, but interesting enough to buy on the strength of his back catalog. Always loved his programming and sound design; and the man knows how to use sub-bass.

2562 - Nocturnal Drummers

• Upvote 1

He's got a set of production videos on youtube where he goes through this track in particular and comments that it takes ages. I take from this that he doesn't know about this particular cheat...!

Your not talking about the computer music masterclass are you? If not could you give me a link to those vids please, thanks.

Any fans of Coda in here? Been hearing the name a lot over the last 6 months but these are the first original tracks of theirs I've listened to. Some really cool stuff going on here, the brass adds a really fresh sound to it rather than sounding tacked on and the overall tone is really minimal and vibey. Keep an eye on these guys.

Free EP on SoundCloud.

http://soundcloud.com/codamusicuk/sets/guerrilla-tactics/

Proper tunes, getting some old school dub vibes and a healthy dose of Foreign Beggars.

mate's friend's band, saw them in guildford last year and ended up in a party with 'em. bigged em up, they were good - sounded great live, wicked vocal shit and the brass was dope.

+1 on the Air Jordan EP, it's excellent. Digging the Untold thing there as well, big Shadowboxing vibe off it.

Thanks for posting this. Thought the exact same thing, just couldn't remember which DnB track that bass sound was from.

Air Jordan sounded real nice through my headphones this morning.

I was just over in Connecticut a couple weeks back, and walking past a Hot Topic store (if you dont know hot topic, its clothing for emo and cool kids) and in the window i saw a t-shirt with the slogan

SEX

AND

DRUGS

AND

DUB

STEP

Thanks skrillex :facepalm:

• Upvote 1