Gameboy and Gameboy Color classics?

mwaawm

I think I already own all the usual suspects (Pokemon/Tetris/Tennis/Zelda/Harvestmoon/Pro RC Am ect) but was thinking that due to the phenomenal lifespan of the system there must have been loads of great games that passed me by. So Im after reccomendations of the gems hiding away in the back catalogue of the original gameboy and gameboy color, any suggestions?

GameBoy

Kirbys Pinball land

probotector 2 (a brave port of probotector alien rebles (contra 3) by factor 5)

Donkey Kong 94 (superb puzzle platformer)

donkeykong94_GBBOXboxart_160w.jpg

GBC

Konami GB collections 1,2,3 and 4 - there 4 GB game in one cart - a great selection of games

Toki Tori (also available on wii ware)

Shantae

Mario golf

Dragon Quest (Warrior) 1@2

Dragon Quest (Warrior) 3

Theres a bunch more games to recommend, but ill hold off as its probably nostalgia, rather than genuinely being great games

GB:

Final Fantasy Adventure (otherwise known as Mystic Quest) . Hook (based on the Robin Williams movie) by Konami.

Wario Blast. Wario Land 1 and 2. Super Mario Land 1 and 2.

GBC:

Definitely Mario Golf and Tennis. Kirby's Tilt and Tumble. Metal Gear Solid.

I quite liked Legend of the River King. Quite a charming little game.

Pokemon Pinball. Cannon Fodder.

The Perfect Dark GBC game wasn't bad either if I recall.

Another shout for Gargoyle's Quest - cracking game.

I've not played them myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Monster Max on the original GB. Monster Max is the last isometric game by Drummond & Ritman, creators of Batman and Head Over Heels.

The Bill & Ted game wasn't too bad, but once you'd mastered each screen you didn't really want to see it again.

I'd go for Solomon's Club on the GB, really good version of Solomon's Key.

And another vote for Super Mario DX, yes, it's a rehash but totally worth it for the Challenge mode.

CaveNoir looks pretty smart will have to check it out.

It's simple, but still great fun. Unlike most (all?) other roguelikes there's no levelling up or experience points, so the only thing to gain from killing enemies is the slim possibility of loot. You don't regenerate health either, which places a huge importance on each hit you take and turns the act of sneaking past monsters from a backup plan to a necessity. Luckily each enemy type follows a different strict patrol route, so the game ends up playing like a puzzley Metal Gear where each room's objective is to reach the end (or grab a coin or free a fairy or whatever) without moving into a monster's attack range. The mode where you have to kill a set amount of monsters without dying tries to mix things up a bit as you'll obviously have to fight something at some point, but you'll still find yourself dodging the huge majority of enemies and only engaging the weaker ones.

So yeah, try it. It's an interesting game, and there hasn't really been anything like it since.

For the original GB:

Gargoyle's Quest - a classic.

Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge - much better than the original and an amazing soundtrack.

Double Dragon - my favourite version by far.

Wizards and Warriors - it's made by Rare. What more do I need to say?

Great Greed - a cute little RPG if you can get hold of it cheap enough.

ZAS - difficult-to-find JPN only vertical shooter. It is the bollocks though.

There are more games but I'm trying to think...

GB:

Final Fantasy Adventure (otherwise known as Mystic Quest) .

I had this and really liked it though gave up towards the end as it suddenly felt a bit too much of a grind fest. I loved the fact that you could eat the remains of monsters you'd fought which would in turn change the species of your party member, it was most annoying when you ate something to soup yourself up only for it result in a dud transformation.

I had this and really liked it though gave up towards the end as it suddenly felt a bit too much of a grind fest. I loved the fact that you could eat the remains of monsters you'd fought which would in turn change the species of your party member, it was most annoying when you ate something to soup yourself up only for it result in a dud transformation.

We played this at 6th form on an emulator and had much lols with the 'you've eaten some meat, you are now a zombie' r somthing equally random. We literally spent hours doing it.

I don't remember that in the game but it has been a long time since I played it. Good game, even had some sad parts in it. I think it was remade as Sword of Mana on the GBA but I didn't play the remake.

Other GB games:

Terminator 2

Judge Dread

Ninja Gaiden

Any of the GB Mega Man games

Tiny Toon Adventures

Of course Metroid 2: Return of Samus as well!

Monster Max on the original GB. Monster Max is the last isometric game by Drummond & Ritman, creators of Batman and Head Over Heels.

I have this - it's a pretty good isometric adventure, if you still like 'em.

Cracking music, as I recall.