IGNORED

Gran Torino - New Clint Eastwood Directing/Acting gig

Goose

Does any one in film work as fast as Clint Eastwood? The guy shot TWO war flicks back to back/at the same time only a couple of years ago. He's shot The Changeling with Angelina Jolie due for release in the next month and already has this film in post production for a December release, which he's also acting in. Terence Malick, shift your arse! :(

When this was first announced the internet was rife with rumour that it was a final Dirty Harry movie. Turns out it was nothing of the sort but has Eastwood as a bigoted Korean war veteran who is dismayed and offended when a family of immigrants move in next door. When one of them tries to steal his 1972 Gran Torino, an angry Eastwood finds himself bonding with the teenager.

Here's the trailer -

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810038822/video/10360603

grantorinoposter.jpg

Eastwood has stolen Christian Bale's Batman voice. :lol:

I doubt this will be getting the critical adulation many of his films have had of late but I'd put money on it being better than anything else he has made in the last 15 years.

It is down as a Feb 20th release in the UK.

Does any one in film work as fast as Clint Eastwood? The guy shot TWO war flicks back to back/at the same time only a couple of years ago. He's shot The Changeling with Angelina Jolie due for release in the next month and already has this film in post production for a December release, which he's also acting in. Terence Malick, shift your arse! :wub:

He's 78, so is probably trying to make good use of the little time he has left.

Oh, I do hope he gives it a suitably bleak, 'realistic' tone, and especially an unhappy or at least a non-life-affirming ending, although I have a few doubts going by the trailer (it's nicely ambiguous though and contains some promise). It could be another Unforgiven (which I thought was (at the time, at least) a really cleverly unromantic wrapping up of that genre which stood some well-worn expectations on their heads while still managing to exude the Romantic Western feel too. This has at least the opportunity to be the same, as unlikely as it may be to actually do that).

I reckon he can pull a surprisingly left-field classic out of the bag every decade or so, so here's hoping this is another.

• 1 month later...
Wow, just wow.

That was fantastic, a really good film - IMDB have it classed as Action | Drama | Thriller - But I had a fair number of laugh out loud moments.

Yeah, I didn't expect to be laughing as much as I did in the middle of the film but that lightheartedness really adds to the poignancy of the end.

I felt it hit a really sad note at the end, but in a brilliant way provoking your emotion

Eastwood handled the tension of everything after the drive-by perfectly. You knew what was coming but it still shocked. When Thao made the phone-call and just shook his head you absolutely knew what had happened to Sue and felt sick to your stomach but Eastwood paced the direction brilliantly before the reveal.

What makes it even harsher is how you've come to like the character previously - it's a complete destruction of who they are.

Don't quit acting just yey, Clint! He was brilliant. Really funny too, even if everything he said was totally & utterly racist. :lol:

That's one of the more interesting parts about the character. When push comes to shove, he clearly isn't explicitly racist but he does come out with statements that we would, rightfully, view as appallingly racist. The character is clearly a product of his time and the environment he grew up in and the experiences he has had plus the epiphets he uses are more about creating a barrier between himself and the world than anything else yet he ultimately sees beyond that to judge people based upon their character. It's by far the most rounded and deepest character I've seen in film this year.

What a fantastic film, honestly one of the best films I've seen this year.

The story's a bit been there done that but Clint gives a fantastic performance as a character who you should be appauled by what he is saying but come to really like as a character who deep down is a good person. The amount of humour in the film surprised me too, some of it laugh out loud funny.

Great ending too.

Just watch it, good film but it seems that Clint is always playing a similar with his last few roles. Bitter old man whose tender side is shown through a younger character. To be honest I can only think of million dollar baby, I'm sure he has done more or maybe he is so damn good at that sort of role that it just feels like he has been doing it for ages.

Loving his MGS4 Old Snake grunting, SURELY it was inspired by that character. It's uncanny!

Loving his MGS4 Old Snake grunting, SURELY it was inspired by that character. It's uncanny!

Biggest. Rolleyes. Ever. And an added shave for good measure.

I take it you bastards are yarring this, damn your eyes. I really fancy seeing it sometime before next Spring.

*grunt*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched this earlier. I've never really been a fan of Clint Eastwood (*GASP* Shock horror) and was put off watching it sooner due to not really feeling the love for Million Dollar Baby - but yah, despite being a ridiculously over-the-top anti-racism flick, it's pretty good.

Yeah, some of the acting was a bit rough - that Toad couldn't act in a fit - but otherwise it was excellent.

Agreed - but according to Wikipedia; Bee Vang (Toad) had no prior acting experience.

I liked this, it started off slowly but really got going.

I was wondering about Clint's role, when he was doing his "grumpy old man" thing he seems to be a bit OTT. Like a pastiche, I kept wondering if he was doing it badly or whether thats what he looked like when he was angry.

"what are you spooks doing" made me piss.