Arcade Joysticks. Breathing life into the M.A.M.E

I think it's more silly you were going to bill £2 to your card, nevermind not having the right one :)

I haven't used cash for weeks. Why bother with it, one card is more convenient.

I've got to say, I'm really impressed with people's enthusiasm and work so far. I found it a right nightmare but it's one of those things I am damn glad I did.

• 2 months later...

I know it's been a while, but... I'm still planning on making a stick and having found myself today with no project to occupy my time I decided to return to it! I'm still in a dilemma about what route to follow. I picked up one of the Mad Catz Arcade Gamestick jobbies for the 360 with a view to ripping it apart to use in my arcade stick but am really scared of doing all the soldering and stuff.

One option for me would be to pick up SF IV for either my PC or my PS3 instead of my 360. If I was to do that then I could get the stick in the first post and use that with new buttons, custom case, etc. Barnard - have you been able to test yours with a PS3 and does it work?

Decisions, decisions...

Cheers,

Ryan

i made my arcade joystick (and cab) back in 2003. For the joystick panel i used MDF, i also had proper arcade buttons/joysticks and i wired it all together to a ipac. Probably the joystick part of the cab cost 100 quid but its really cool (2 player 6 button each with a credit and start button).

its a shame its all sitting in the attic now..

I know it's been a while, but... I'm still planning on making a stick and having found myself today with no project to occupy my time I decided to return to it! I'm still in a dilemma about what route to follow. I picked up one of the Mad Catz Arcade Gamestick jobbies for the 360 with a view to ripping it apart to use in my arcade stick but am really scared of doing all the soldering and stuff.

One option for me would be to pick up SF IV for either my PC or my PS3 instead of my 360. If I was to do that then I could get the stick in the first post and use that with new buttons, custom case, etc. Barnard - have you been able to test yours with a PS3 and does it work?

I've not finished it yet, it seemed to go on hold unintentionally. I will finish it this week and then beg my mate to let me plug it into his PS3, I imagine the reply to be along the lines of 'You're not even putting that anywhere near my really expensive bit of kit' :)

Expect a flurry of updates!

3203825032_77ffca8184_o.jpg

3202974683_6d8a12d193_o.jpg

My second Mad Catz Retro Arcadestick thing arrived today, so I can get on with modding both of my Gamecube sticks into 360/PC sticks.

I am going to order buttons tomorrow. I'm sticking with Sanwa OBSN-24's. I know they are smaller than the usual 30's, but they will fit in the existing stick better. I'm going to retain the existing joystick for now and see how it works. I can always replace it later and I'm intending to try and wire it up in such a way that it will make it easier to replace later!

I just hope I won't be absolutely hopeless at using my stick when it's finished!

Cheers,

Ryan

P.S. Is it a sign of how little faith I have in myself that I've just ordered two of those Mad Catz SFIV pads?!

I have a quick question; if I wanted to replicate the feel of the Japanese arcade cabinets I used whilst over there, which one of the Sanwa buttons do I want?

Also, I want to fit them to my Xbox 360 EX2; the Dead or Alive stick. Olly said something about needing to bend the pins back on the buttons?

I think what I need is a tutorial. I've not soldered anything since school so I need to know what kind of solder, iron, and guage wire I need.

I think what I need is a tutorial. I've not soldered anything since school so I need to know what kind of solder, iron, and guage wire I need.

Most arcade controls aren't soldered... you should do what the cab manufacturers do, and terminate your wires with crimp connectors (you attach these to the wire with a special tool - takes seconds; much less faff than soldering!), and these connectors plug straight onto the terminals of arcade sticks / buttons / etc. This makes it *much* easier to swap out broken components, upgrade bits later, or to generally re-arrange your wiring when you discover you've made a mistake :unsure:

You used to be able to buy an all-you-need kit (wires, terminators, and crimping tool)

wirekit.jpg

from http://www.ultimarc.com/ (a company that supplies MAME hobbyists with arcade bits) ... but I can't find a link to it in their catalogue any more ... though I suspect you can pick up exactly the same bits cheaper at somewhere like maplins. This is the kind of crimp terminator you want:

jh87.jpg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42725

(I'm sure that price must be for a box, not a single connector!!!!)

I've decided that the PCB will be going in to a seperate project box of is own, I am finding it a little too fiddly to mount the whole thing in the main case. It'll be good in a way, the main box should not have to be tampered with again and should allow me to make interchangable project boxes with various other types of pcb inside i.e wii and 360 controllers.

I hope that made sense.

jh87.jpg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42725

(I'm sure that price must be for a box, not a single connector!!!!)

Hey Shep, the soldering I've been doing is to an actual PCB. If only it was as easy as quick connects!

Argghh, went to maplin to day to buy the quick connects and found out they don't sell the ones small enough for the Sanwa buttons!!"!"

Gremlin Solutions do them, but not ready crimped to a piece of wire like they do with the bigger quick connects.

I really don't want to solder to the buttons:(

I didn't do the seperate box thing. I got home at 1am and finished all the soldering 15 minutes ago, I used the USB connector connected to a PC to test the joints as they were made and they all work perfectly. I even plugged it into the old xbox with the xbox connector and had a round of sf2 on MAME. All that needs doing now is to figure a way to secure the pcb firmly in the box and a hole made to pass the cable through!

Hey Shep, the soldering I've been doing is to an actual PCB. If only it was as easy as quick connects!

Doh! Of course... I'm too used to wiring my arcade stuff up to an IPAC / JPAC :unsure:

Argghh, went to maplin to day to buy the quick connects and found out they don't sell the ones small enough for the Sanwa buttons!!"!"

I didn't realise Sanwa buttons had smaller terminals on them... that's one to remember. All my arcade bits seem to have quarter-inch disconnects, so I assumed that was the standard.

• 4 weeks later...

Aw Shit man,

I found this thread about 3 months too late it seemed! I built my own mame cab about 4 years ago, and I built my joystick from scratch with Happ controls running through a PS1 controller. I scoured the web for the fairly sparse information available at the time, and made a lot of mistakes, but I got there in the end and it was robust, responsive and slick. My second joystick build went really well, much more quickly in fact, and I used flexible wires to aid the build. The process was amazing, but I could have given you loads of pointers along the way, the spade terminals, the common grounds, etc etc etc. I guess that's part of the process though :angry: I tried a couple of different methods - using a busted keyboard, using a sidewinder, and settled on using PS1 joysticks as they were cheap.

Sorry!

I'm going to make another joystick for another cabinet, but I'm thinking of building it around an old xbox 360 pad - That way it's wireless, it's got shitloads of buttons, and you can actually use the d-pad. The 360 pad is a dream to solder onto, and there's loads of pin-out diagrams on xbox-scene forums. If you need any help with the soldering onto the 360 PCB, drop me a line.

Websites I found useful:

www.byoac.com

www.slagcoin.com

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html (The ipac is a nice interface that is now usb that allows you to connect up your buttons directly - quite nice for custom cabs and stuff.)

I had to get rid of my mamecab, as I moved from a massive flat to a tiny one, which didn't have the space for the 25" TV, let alone the monster 2 player cabinet. I think I sold my buttons and sticks to someone on the forum a couple of years ago (with a tear in my eye, I might add).

I actually started a thread in Creative Design about stuff like this: hacking things up and fixing up joysticks/pedals/hardware but it's getting no love in there.

i made my arcade joystick (and cab) back in 2003. For the joystick panel i used MDF, i also had proper arcade buttons/joysticks and i wired it all together to a ipac. Probably the joystick part of the cab cost 100 quid but its really cool (2 player 6 button each with a credit and start button).

its a shame its all sitting in the attic now..

I remember seeing the pics of yours - didn't you have a sweet SFII Marquee or something?

3217915246_1d9a5bed38_b.jpg

An image from last night. All that needs doing now is the PCB mounting.

Hey, once those joints are made, you might want to whack a blob of hot glue on top of those mounts to ensure they don't come off in a hurry. If one of the wires snags by accident and rips the copper off of the PCB it can be a pain in the arse to trace around and repair it.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend an all round stick for my MAME cabinet? I took the easy way out a while back and got someone to build the control panel for me originally but I'm not sure I like the sticks on it.

I guess I'd like it to play SF2 etc. well but also be good for some of the other classics like GnG and Donkey Kong etc. Would prefer for it to have a 4 way only option (my current sticks have them for games like Pac-man etc.) but that's not a requirement.

Looking at this thread, a lot of people seem to be going for the same sticks with the ball on the end (something like my spare Dreamcast arcade stick perhaps?). What make are they? Sanwa? Could anyone provide me with a model number or a URL?

Cheers...

Can anyone recommend an all round stick for my MAME cabinet? I took the easy way out a while back and got someone to build the control panel for me originally but I'm not sure I like the sticks on it.

I guess I'd like it to play SF2 etc. well but also be good for some of the other classics like GnG and Donkey Kong etc. Would prefer for it to have a 4 way only option (my current sticks have them for games like Pac-man etc.) but that's not a requirement.

Looking at this thread, a lot of people seem to be going for the same sticks with the ball on the end (something like my spare Dreamcast arcade stick perhaps?). What make are they? Sanwa? Could anyone provide me with a model number or a URL?

Cheers...

You could just get the sticks swapped out, shouldn't be to hard with a custom panel.

I myself have an x-arcade tankstick, only had it for a week but love it already.

Have discovered a few problems with multiple key combinations (i'm working on it) but thats been the only downside.

Anybody modded a DC stick? Fancy giving it a go, or at least using the shell of one to house a PSX pcb so I can use it to play mame on the pc...

If all you want is to use the DC stick "as is" on MAME and not replace the buttons/stick then you just need one of these.

I notice that they're discontinued which is why my initial search only showed up a later revision with Xbox and GC ports instead of DC & Saturn ones.

It works well, but if you're tacking down a second hand one then don't get this black one's predecessor (which looked the same but was white/cream coloured) as it didn't work with the two buttons on the DC stick that were the equivalents of the triggers on the DC pad. The black ones work with all six button on the DC stick though.

• 11 years later...

https://www.tested.com/art/makers/464539-choosing-buttons-and-joysticks-custom-arcade-cabinet/

Article about the various buttons and sticks you can customise with - lots of good info in there. 

Just picked up a arcade stick (Venom PS4 version) that has been modded with Sanwa buttons and stick. Feels really good but haven't had chance yet to plug it in and give it a go! :)

Apparently it has "bespoke artwork" on it and £70 worth of upgrades. Seems to fit the bill in terms of weight, size and feel. Looking forward to testing it out on Salamander on PS4 later today and then MAME on the PC at some point. Defender is going to feel great with this! :) 

Here it is:-

image.thumb.png.d4079142cec2168272b320a1a9c435d3.png

• 2 weeks later...