Sign in to follow this  
ClassicReplay

Wipeout HD Strategy Guide

This Strategy Guide hasn't started yet, but could use everyone’s help!

So how do we get started: people post comments on the best strategy, best places to barrel role, and how to tackle time trials, as well as quashing rumors about what can and can't be done?

Everyone can contribute... post videos and images, or maps. It just seems like an easy way to share your strategies with the rest of the Wipeout community and forum as a whole. :wub:

Thanks in advance for helping share your game tips and strategies!

Ok, if you wanna speed boost at the beginning of the race. Hit the acceleration button when the countdown reaches "0"

This one I find difficult, as I haven't managed to pull it off with 100% accuracy... skipping corners, Using the "Turbo" to power yourself up at a Upwards slope and gap over a tight corner.

And apparently, Using only "Air Brakes" in "Zone Mode is the key to success... I will try this tonight.

Above subsonic I don't think the airbrakes alone will get you past the final two corners prior to the elevated section (Anulpha Pass).

Apparently, and I'm only basing this on a one time glimpse of a screen somewhere in the game so I'm not sure, but if you are having trouble you can turn on something called "Pilot Assist" to steer you away from the sides of the track.

(sorry, if I can think of a genuine tip I will help out. So far I'm way behind the leaders on things like finding out ideal boost spots)

Ok, if you wanna speed boost at the beginning of the race. Hit the acceleration button when the countdown reaches "0"

Um, when it says "Go", yes.

The command input's quite long. About a second. Basically, when the voice says the word 'go', you can kinda dawdle and it'll still work. Maybe you're trying to go dead on 'go' and are going just before? Actually hear the word spoken before you press accelerate.

On the higher speed classes, analogue air brakes are you friend. Applying full airbrake is a bit like hitting full brakes in a driving game; makes you lose control and skid.

Also, use Asegai until you unlock Icaras. Then stick with Icaras til the bitter end. :)

• Downvote 1

- Get into position for your corner, on the outside of the track

- Start turning with just the analog stick

- If you feel you're not going to make it, slowly squeeze the airbrake (same side as the direction you're turning)

- Once you hit the sweet spot, hold the trigger in position

- Straighten out a little earlier than you think

That's pretty much it :ph34r: the main bit is practicing reactions to tell when you're not going to be able to jsut steer regularly, and learning the corners of the tracks, and then learning how hard you need to airbrake generally in relation to the speed class.

Another mistake I used to make was tap-tapping the air brake to make corners while steering. What I've found works a lot better is to hold the brake and tap-tap the steering instead.

- Get into position for your corner, on the outside of the track

- Start turning with just the analog stick

- If you feel you're not going to make it, slowly squeeze the airbrake (same side as the direction you're turning)

- Once you hit the sweet spot, hold the trigger in position

- Straighten out a little earlier than you think

That's pretty much it :ph34r: the main bit is practicing reactions to tell when you're not going to be able to jsut steer regularly, and learning the corners of the tracks, and then learning how hard you need to airbrake generally in relation to the speed class.

cheers dood, ill have to try that tomorrow

no worries :ph34r: the next bit is trying to work out which corners you have to take in a certain way that leaves you in a position to take the next corner again... agh it gets tough :lol:

At no point at any speed level will you need to apply both airbrakes or reduce speed (I've got to pad these out a little, they come across as koans).

I'd love to know why the other racers in single player seem to be about three times faster than me. I break my lap record constantly, and yet I don't even see the other craft after the first lap. It's very weird. I'm pretty good at wipeout too! Starting to think the analogue X button is buggered and I'm only going at half speed.

what skill level? I've not had that problem so far. And set your analogue button sensitivity to 10% on the accelerator (but leave airbrakes 100% sensitive).

what skill level? I've not had that problem so far. And set your analogue button sensitivity to 10% on the accelerator (but leave airbrakes 100% sensitive).

I've got my airbrakes on 80% to reduce the accidental side shifts! Acc is on 10% as recommended by the forum :lol:.

I'd love to know why the other racers in single player seem to be about three times faster than me. I break my lap record constantly, and yet I don't even see the other craft after the first lap. It's very weird. I'm pretty good at wipeout too! Starting to think the analogue X button is buggered and I'm only going at half speed.

No, it's just the shitty analogue face buttons on ps3.. just stick accel sensitivity to 10% as others have said. Why on earth you'd want analogue acceleration in this game is beyond me...

No, it's just the shitty analogue face buttons on ps3.. just stick accel sensitivity to 10% as others have said. Why on earth you'd want analogue acceleration in this game is beyond me...

I don't thinks this is true I think this is how they make the races more difficult by boosting the AI opposition at the start to give you a pack to race through and remove the need for rubber banding. After all if you remove rubber banding from the AI you need to give them some kind of advantage to give the player a pack to race through.

It's a pretty good compromise if you ask me.

I don't thinks this is true I think this is how they make the races more difficult by boosting the AI opposition at the start to give you a pack to race through and remove the need for rubber banding. After all if you remove rubber banding from the AI you need to give them some kind of advantage to give the player a pack to race through.

It's a pretty good compromise if you ask me.

Nah, the dude I quoted said he didn't see anyone after the first lap.

d yet I don't even see the other craft after the first lap

I dunno about you, but getting into the front of the pack isn't that hard to do in the first lap :)

I always just felt it was me starting in 8th that gave the other 7 a bit of a headstart...

Yeah you and dood could be right that's that last time I quote from memory, although sat here right now it does feel as if positions 1,2 and 3 get more speed of the grid that I do even with Goteki and a speed start...

Man Meltdown is handing me my arse :)

Well I just finished it, satisfied. I've probably got about 80% golds, am going to work on clearing them while I wait for LBP and the other amazing games coming soon.

I also am amazed at how quickly I went from being afraid of Phantom to REVELLING in it :) beautiful game.