rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gingerling

Tales Of Vesperia

Really not feeling the love for this and I'm about 15 hours in ;) The difficulty is way off with each boss requiring silly amounts of levelling before you can continue. The problem then is that all the battles in between are far too easy until you get to next boss which requires an hour or so of levelling. The Ehmead Hill boss was a nightmare and only button bashing seemed to get me through that and I was lvl 22 at this point. It's just messed up in my eyes and will be tradin git on ebay later today :)

It doesn't help that my team mates are pants. A lot of the time the magic users end up just hanging around doing nothing with Estelle seeming to heal once every so often hiding round the edges.

Lorfarius, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. I didn't have any real troubles so early on in the game. Nor have I had to grind to beat any bosses (so far). Are you just dodging every fight out in the field, and racing through it? I always tend to take on as many fights as possible en route to my next destination. I suppose in a way, you could call it pre-emptive grinding, but that would be unfair, as it's never really felt like grinding to me. It's not like I've just hung around in one area, levelling up. I'm always moving forward.

As for my teammates, they've been nothing but outstanding. They're a real help.

I'm really not feeling the love for this one either. I beat the boss I was having difficulty with and the next couple were dead easy in comparison, thus confirming in my eyes an unreasonable difficulty spike. I have now got to a section where I have just beat a boss and have no healing items left - OK I can heal using the magic spell and save my game but I now have to have numerous conversations and fight tweedledum and tweedledee again solo in the next town before the opportunity to rest or shop. Being low on SP and with no healing capability I cannot win this fight. I accept I am probably not too good at the combat which has not really clicked, and is hideously imprecise although the tactics screen gives a good illusion of sophistication, but this still seems poor design.

Since many people seem to have complained about the Gatusso fight at Ehmead Hill being a ridiculous difficulty spike and requiring a ton of grinding to beat, I thought I'd check it out.

The difficulty was normal. From the start of the game, I fought every enemy I came across in dungeons once, unless the game took me back past the same enemies. I avoided every fight on the world map (bar two which back-attacked me). I reached Gatusso at level 14, and beat him. So basically, if you don't skip all the fights, there's no need to grind at all.

Since many people seem to have complained about the Gatusso fight at Ehmead Hill being a ridiculous difficulty spike and requiring a ton of grinding to beat, I thought I'd check it out.

The difficulty was normal. From the start of the game, I fought every enemy I came across in dungeons once, unless the game took me back past the same enemies. I avoided every fight on the world map (bar two which back-attacked me). I reached Gatusso at level 14, and beat him. So basically, if you don't skip all the fights, there's no need to grind at all.

Thing is, with the style of game it is, You can reach that point at a much lower level through no fault of your own.

I did normal, didn't skip a fight, arrived there at lvl 12, and had to grind to 15 to beat him.

I have bought the last remnant, and shonky graphical glitches aside, it's very good.

Should this be changed to a general RPG thread? Lots of talk about other games in here :blink:

So I wanna buy this game, is this definitely an English language version? I can't see an 'Asian edition' with that cover, but there is a US one, that apparently doesn't work on PAL. Confused.

That's a Canadian cover variant of the US edition, the french on the back cover combined with a ESRB logo gives it away.

Play Asia (who generally check the games) says it's locked. For the record Japanese developed games are region locked on their Asian versions, it's the western developed games that are region free on Asian editions

I wonder if the images are his own.

It's been a few years since I worried about region locking on 360 and I still had to look it up just to check. Someone is going to end up very disappointed.

I think I'll message the guy under the pretense of being interested and see what he says.

It's £21.85 on Shopto just now.

It used to command ridiculous prices until fairly recently when for some unknown reason it got a reprint.

CaRsB3J.jpg

It might also still be £20 on Games on Demand as well.

I've sent a long question about confirming what region machine he is using and if the cover is correct it but only then checked his listings.

He's selling a Japanese machine so he's surely talking bollocks without checking it and uploaded the wrong cover.

It's £21.85 on Shopto just now.

It amazes me how Namco and people like NIS can reprint a game years later for half the price instead of fulfilling demand when it's actually released. Atelier Rorona as an example was out of print 2 years ago and £40 used 18months ago, now it's £16 new. I could understand the issue with ...Abyss at release as the carts have to be ordered and shipped from Japan, but all 3 platform holders print their optical discs in Europe with the shorter lead times and other benefits that come with it..

Listing: ITS DEFINITELY THE ASIAN REGION FREE VERSION!

answer to my question:

You're absolutely right - I'd forgotten I'd bought the US version and not the Asian one. My XBOX is Japanese. Thanks for pointing this out - I've relisted it with the correct details.

:lol::facepalm:

What a prat. :P

Finished this a few days ago with 37 hours on the clock. It's probably the easiest-going JRPG I've played in a long time, and while it's definitely the sort of game that wants to be completed, there's a ton of replay value in the battle system alone.

The momentum killers typical of the genre aren't a big problem in Vesperia. Dungeons strike a very nice balance between labyrinthine and navigable, battles aren't random, and there's zero need for grinding. The number and frequency of skits can be a bit overwhelming sometimes, but they're completely optional (albeit unskippable if you do choose to watch them).

But man, unskippable cut-scenes? They killed me. It got to the point where I became much less adventurous in boss battles - spamming azure storm from a distance and setting my party to heal - just so I didn't have to sit through the same cut-scene ad-nauseum. Also slightly annoying that boss characters can just tech out of your combos. What's the point of having combos if they aren't guaranteed damage? Maybe there's a skill that stops that, or I'm just not as familiar with the battle system as I ought to be, but it's still counter-intuitive.

I really enjoyed it a lot though. The story was entertaining and moved along at a nice clip, the characters were mostly very likable, battle system has a lot of depth, and it's well-built for replay value. The occasional difficulty spike aside (Yeah, I had trouble with Gattuso too), I think folk with only a passing interest in the genre MIGHT enjoy this, providing they can get their head around the various intricacies in the early going.

So yeah, a pretty well-rounded package, I'd say.

37 hours on the clock is different from how long it actually took...which I wasn't keeping track of, to be honest, but it couldn't have been much past 50 hours in real terms (which is still quite short).

I didn't skip any cut-scenes (indeed, I was occasionally forced to watch them several times over), and I watched every skit that came along. I also cut corners in dungeons by avoiding enemies I'd already scanned, and I bypassed pretty much all the optional stuff (as I'm prone to do on my first playthrough of any game). The downside being I've hardly got any grade points to spend on EX game as a result (just over 1440, IIRC),

Not that it'll deter me from a second playthrough, or anything.

Thread ressurection!

So the Definitive Edition of this is out tomorrow on pretty much everything. My Switch copy has turned up this morning, so that's this evening sorted. Anyone else getting this?

I stupidly replayed it last year on 360, so I'll have to pass for the time being.

It's still one of the very best JRPGs though, so I hope this re-release does well.

I'm seriously tempted to buy the Switch port of this, despite just reading a  ten-year old post in this very thread I wrote bemoaning the game and saying how I got bored with it.

But still! Maybe I'll enjoy it on Switch more...

This game is like slipping into your favourite old jumper still warm from the dryer.

Something about the blue skies, great characters and voice work (I only just found out Joel was Yuri!) and perfect branching adventure just feels so right. Such a good game. I'm about ten hours in. Just crossed the first bit of sea.