rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gingerling

Tales Of Vesperia

Got to the desert section about twenty hours in and got fed up. Too repetitive and far too easy. I never needed to change my battle 'plan', not even for the boss battles once I'd reached a certain level, and the system wasn't customisable enough to be effective or fun on the harder difficulty level. Traded it in for Saint's Row II and Tomb Raider Underworld, both of which I'm enjoying a lot more.

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

Lost Odyssey

The Last Remnant

Tales of Vesperia

My list of 360 JPRGS that didn't have the stamina to remain interesting. I think I'm pretty much done with the genre. While the Playstation era of FFs were among some of the best games I've ever played, I haven't completed one since FFX. They really do have to be very, very good to keep you playing for the amount of time it takes to complete them.

Got to the desert section about twenty hours in and got fed up. Too repetitive and far too easy. I never needed to change my battle 'plan', not even for the boss battles once I'd reached a certain level, and the system wasn't customisable enough to be effective or fun on the harder difficulty level. Traded it in for Saint's Row II and Tomb Raider Underworld, both of which I'm enjoying a lot more.

Blue Dragon

Eternal Sonata

Lost Odyssey

The Last Remnant

Tales of Vesperia

My list of 360 JPRGS that didn't have the stamina to remain interesting. I think I'm pretty much done with the genre. While the Playstation era of FFs were among some of the best games I've ever played, I haven't completed one since FFX. They really do have to be very, very good to keep you playing for the amount of time it takes to complete them.

Before you write off the entire genre, you should play Persona 4. There's lots of complexity to take in, but once you do, it's far and away the best JRPG of recent times - oh, and it's quite short, too, clocking in at around 60-70 hours (with lots of incentive for a second playthrough).

Unsuprisingly for a JRPG, the demo of Tales is really, really bad - but worse than that, it's enough to put me off the game completely. Still, I'd be interested in picking it up cheap someday, and until then, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Before you write off the entire genre, you should play Persona 4. There's lots of complexity to take in, but once you do, it's far and away the best JRPG of recent times - oh, and it's quite short, too, clocking in at around 60-70 hours (with lots of incentive for a second playthrough).

You call 60-70 hours' quite short'? :lol:

You call 60-70 hours' quite short'? :lol:

Ok, Lost Odyssey clocks in at around 40-50, but compared to some which run well past 80 and into the 100's, yeah, I'd say it's short (and it's definitely shorter than Persona 3).

Ok, Lost Odyssey clocks in at around 40-50, but compared to some which run well past 80 and into the 100's, yeah, I'd say it's short (and it's definitely shorter than Persona 3).

I think I clocked Skies of Arcadia in around 50 hours - FFVII a few hours short of that, and Grandia II weighed in around 37/38 hours iirc...

I'm at around 37 hours on ToV now and fully expect to have it done by the 50 hour mark...

Final Fantasy XII took me in the region of 80 - 90 hours, but a lot of that was MMO-style grinding to get my party up to speed.

I'd definitely say that between 40 and 50 hours is optimum for a straight run-through of most JRPGs.

That is, taking in a few of the sidequests and such on the side and getting a good feel for the experience, without going nuts on clearing every last mission, fighting every hidden boss and collecting a full quota of epic weapons.

Still loving this, approaching the 20 hour mark,

and just left the Guild city, after the giant dragon thing tore holes in everything, after defeating Barbos

I love how un-hero like Yuri can be, he's a very good lead I'd say.

Bloody excellent!

I think I clocked Skies of Arcadia in around 50 hours - FFVII a few hours short of that, and Grandia II weighed in around 37/38 hours iirc...

I'm at around 37 hours on ToV now and fully expect to have it done by the 50 hour mark...

Final Fantasy XII took me in the region of 80 - 90 hours, but a lot of that was MMO-style grinding to get my party up to speed.

I'd definitely say that between 40 and 50 hours is optimum for a straight run-through of most JRPGs.

That is, taking in a few of the sidequests and such on the side and getting a good feel for the experience, without going nuts on clearing every last mission, fighting every hidden boss and collecting a full quota of epic weapons.

Skies, FFVII and Grandia II aren't exactly contemporary JRPG's though, are they? Things have changed since then, and there's at least a half-dozen, recently-released JRPG's that run close to or past the 100 hour mark. Besides, I don't know anybody who finished FFVII in under 50 hours on their first playthrough, unassisted - it's probably just me, but I find that really, really hard to believe. Skies took me over 70 hours, IIRC, and I don't think I was overdoing it, either.

Skies, FFVII and Grandia II aren't exactly contemporary JRPG's though, are they? Things have changed since then, and there's at least a half-dozen, recently-released JRPG's that run close to or past the 100 hour mark. Besides, I don't know anybody who finished FFVII in under 50 hours on their first playthrough, unassisted - it's probably just me, but I find that really, really hard to believe. Skies took me over 70 hours, IIRC, and I don't think I was overdoing it, either.

FFVII was around 40, with idle time, for me.

The Persona games are taking 80, and the last 2 tales games have taken the same.

I do find the FF games shorter, X and X-2 included, and Lost Odyssey was over in about 40 too.

I could understand finishing VII in 50 today, but back in 1999, being only the second JRPG I'd ever played, it took me well in excess of that, and I imagine that's true of a lot of people who bought it on release with no prior experience in the genre.

Anyway, I don't wanna take this thread off on a tangent, so I'll rest my case!

I'm only a few hours in so far (finished healing the tree and a bit more afterwards), and I'm still undecided. The story seems promising, but hasn't really got going yet. It looks lovely, would look even better if on a good TV though. I'm not sold on the battle system though, as it feels very repetitive, however that might be a problem with how I'm playing it, so I'll read the manual and see if I'm missing something. It's also too easy at the moment, but that might just be because it's early on in the game. It's fairly enjoyable, though I may not play it through to completion if I don't click with the battle system,

I'm only a few hours in so far (finished healing the tree and a bit more afterwards), and I'm still undecided. The story seems promising, but hasn't really got going yet. It looks lovely, would look even better if on a good TV though. I'm not sold on the battle system though, as it feels very repetitive, however that might be a problem with how I'm playing it, so I'll read the manual and see if I'm missing something. It's also too easy at the moment, but that might just be because it's early on in the game. It's fairly enjoyable, though I may not play it through to completion if I don't click with the battle system,

As you get more skills, the battle system comes into it's own, trying to get huge combos, and air juggling the enemy.

The story takes a long, long time to get going. Im roughly 15-20 hours in, I'm not quite sure who the main badguy is yet. But it's certainly been entertaining so far!

The difficulty is deceptive. Random battles = easy. Bosses = muuuuch harder :)

I am very suprised GamesTM gave this a 5. Rather harsh I would say.

Par for the course I would say - JRPGs generally seem to score 5 or 6 these days unless they are FF or DQ or something a bit querky. I've got this game but needed to put space behind Star Ocean 4 first.

Par for the course I would say - JRPGs generally seem to score 5 or 6 these days unless they are FF or DQ or something a bit querky. I've got this game but needed to put space behind Star Ocean 4 first.

It's strange that, JRPG's get so much grief for being games of their genre - they always get marked down for having a 'spiky haired kid that's a bit emo who by sheer circumstance ends up having to save the world, some sort of princess along the way and some annoying kids' and yet no shooter hardly ever gets marked down for being full of space marines and a bit grey / brown.

It would be a bit dull if there was a JRPG where you didn't save the world though surely, wouldn't it? I do like the way in this you are the one doing it all but it's Flynn and the Knights that are actually the ones that get the credit etc... bit like Starshipi Troopers in a way.

It's strange that, JRPG's get so much grief for being games of their genre - they always get marked down for having a 'spiky haired kid that's a bit emo who by sheer circumstance ends up having to save the world, some sort of princess along the way and some annoying kids' and yet no shooter hardly ever gets marked down for being full of space marines and a bit grey / brown.

It would be a bit dull if there was a JRPG where you didn't save the world though surely, wouldn't it? I do like the way in this you are the one doing it all but it's Flynn and the Knights that are actually the ones that get the credit etc... bit like Starshipi Troopers in a way.

It is odd - it's almost as if they start with minus 3 points for not doing anything "new".

On the plus side the games are always highly polished and never seem to suffer the myriad glitches and bugs which afflict my favourite genre (WRPG). To some extent you have to accept the conventions and roll with it - then you can distinguish the games based on your personal preferences for combat type etc. The only convention I would like to see changed is that of saving - it can be daunting to know you face a big dungeon, possibly a boss fight / escape / cut scene sequence before another opportunity to do so. Possibly also to have some sort of journal or record of tasks - very hard to pick up again after a spell away.

My thoughts on the games out on the 360 are as follows:

Lost Odyssey - the cream of the crop in production values, scope and relative maturity of characters and story telling.

Last Remnant - a gem if you like turn based combat and dislike, relatively speaking, the sundry mini games, stealth sections etc which often clutter up the adventure. relatively tactical and a decent challenge.

Star Ocean - one of the best looking games bulked out to an absurd degree by cut scences and private actions. Lead character is an extremely irritating emo loser who moans ad infinitum whenever he does anything bad. Redeemed greatly by the combat system - probably the best real time example.

Eternal Sonata - worthwhile experience because slightly unusual - looks and sounds great but combat is rather dull and there are one or two really irritating dungeons.

Blue dragon - classic turn based combat but I found it dull, not managed to complete this one after two attempts.

Enchanted arms - worth a look, fairly interesting combat. Save anywhere function.

Infinite Undiscovery - worst of the lot - dull and at times confusing real time combat, tries to do lots of things but does not really succeed.

Possibly also to have some sort of journal or record of tasks - very hard to pick up again after a spell away.

Vesperia has a pretty thorough journal which gives you a well written synopsis of everything that has happened, and where you're heading off to next. It's great, as is the game in general. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Vesperia has a pretty thorough journal which gives you a well written synopsis of everything that has happened, and where you're heading off to next. It's great, as is the game in general. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Good to hear.

Game is next in line to be played here.

It is odd - it's almost as if they start with minus 3 points for not doing anything "new".

-snip-

My thoughts on the games out on the 360 are as follows:

Lost Odyssey - the cream of the crop in production values, scope and relative maturity of characters and story telling.

Last Remnant - a gem if you like turn based combat and dislike, relatively speaking, the sundry mini games, stealth sections etc which often clutter up the adventure. relatively tactical and a decent challenge.

Star Ocean - one of the best looking games bulked out to an absurd degree by cut scences and private actions. Lead character is an extremely irritating emo loser who moans ad infinitum whenever he does anything bad. Redeemed greatly by the combat system - probably the best real time example.

Eternal Sonata - worthwhile experience because slightly unusual - looks and sounds great but combat is rather dull and there are one or two really irritating dungeons.

Blue dragon - classic turn based combat but I found it dull, not managed to complete this one after two attempts.

Enchanted arms - worth a look, fairly interesting combat. Save anywhere function.

Infinite Undiscovery - worst of the lot - dull and at times confusing real time combat, tries to do lots of things but does not really succeed.

I see we're in aggreement...

Good breakdown too and I'd generally agree with those points on them too, Star Ocean and Last Remnant I haven't played out of those but I'm with you, I did enjoy ES because of the slightly ridiculous fact you're playing as Chopin, Blue Dragon I did get through as it was so old skool and had a nice sort of 'playing a SNES RPG in HD' feel to it but I do see your point, it was possibly too cliche. Infinite Undiscovery I just really didn't get that far on, it was actually the real time combat which got on my tits but I am actually enjoying it in Vesperia, so perhaps I should attempt it again.

I might do Last Remnant next from the sound of it though.

I do personally really miss the battle system of Grandia 2 (iirc) where you saw the time line of all chars and could delay an enemy's attack with the right move etc, still my fave real time battle system, in fact any battle system, to date. The news of a potential Skies 2 is making me :lol: as well.

Would you recommend Last Remnant over Star Ocean? I'm not really familiar with the Star Ocean series and the main guy does seem like a penis in vids I've seen...

From what you've written, I think you should like Vesperia too, it's probably a bit inbetween Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, very generally speaking.

5 out of 10? Seriously, Games TM can fuck right off.

If ever there was any proof that games magazines don't have half a clue how to review stuff, Saints Row 2 is it.

Oh, and this Vesperia review is a close second.

Would you recommend Last Remnant over Star Ocean? I'm not really familiar with the Star Ocean series and the main guy does seem like a penis in vids I've seen...

Yes because I found the approach to combat really satisfying and virtually all the game is taken up with it. There is a story and some cut scenes etc but the bulk of the game is spent taking on quests and building teams which replace the traditional individual characters (each team has a captain, often available after completing a quest, and a number of soldiers you can recruit and who have different skills). I was sitting close up to the screen to micro manage the instructions given to each team and really dug the experience - a decent challenge and gradation of difficulty. The idea is to match your teams up against the enemies' teams so as not to be surrounded and blindsided, but the catch is you can't give 100% specific instructions - they are more general commands but a tap of a button shows how they will be interpreted by each team member so you can switch to something else if you wish before implementing. Randomly your choices will include access to special attacks. It's a bit difficult to describe.

On the other hand Star Ocean is one of those games you can relax from the sofa with and enjoy as a big baggy adventure story (ultimately nonsensical but it has it's moments earlier). It's almost ridiculously easy at normal difficulty level using balanced teams - there is only one boss which requires a particular tactic to be used. There are immensely long cut scenes (which can be skipped and summarised), you have to chat to everyone in new areas to move the story along in traditional style, and you will need to spend time between planets also chatting with your team members to develop relationships and influence the possible endings. The game is visually gorgeous and copes well with your team flinging magic and special attacks around the board. Each team member has one or more additional skills such as cooking, blacksmithing etc which when developed yield many useful items. As is traditional with SO games there is a colesseum where indvidual characters or teams can do battle for prizes.

I've got up to THAT Spike. Bloody hell. I thought the game was doing a generally good job of gradually introducing different elements of the battle system up to that point, but now I really have to look at the tactics to be used by each of the characters to try to keep them the hell away from the beast, consider mapping other character's artes etc. So far I dislike the infexibility of combat - no swapping - and the hugely clunky 2D movement system. Often I seem to make zero contact with enemies which are apparently just in front of me. Having the enemies constantly respawn in the field gives you no indication of progress either. Hopefully I will get through this pinch point and gain a better understanding of the battle mechanics (and the skill set of other characters) becuase in other respects the game looks very promising - short skits are entertaining and don't drag, the laconic hero makes a pleasant change from the norm. I know I have moaned like hell about some other recent games being too easy but this sudden ramp up in difficulty seems a design flaw - by all means lead up to it but take an intermediate step or two first.

Phew, I'm way past that. That's the only time I've died though. I was a pretty high level for the section (I assume, I spent ages fighting in the field for no real reason), and it still kicked my ass. 2nd attempt was a breeze, oddly.

Gattuso and cubs in Ehmead Hill.

That's where I'm stuck at the moment as it's a pretty unfair battle. Pretty much put the game down since I got stuck as dont have the time for mass levelling at the mo.

That's where I'm stuck at the moment as it's a pretty unfair battle. Pretty much put the game down since I got stuck as dont have the time for mass levelling at the mo.

Got him but it was a brutal fight - a little bit of levelling up (to 17) and then basically keeping my distance more than I would like. Main problems:

Immediate use of overdrive knocks you for six as you target one of the cubs

Poison

Speed of attack / movement

Flowers impact your team as well as him

Glad it's over with.

Full auto + static camera for routine encounters from now on I think - although Yuri under auto control misses as often as under mine it seems.

Enjoying this a lot. Don't remember hitting that difficulty spike at Ehmead Hill though. I must've been levelled up a bit more by that point.

After battle, Estelle's comment about

Judith's tits bouncing, and wishing hers would bounce

is quite amusing.