rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gingerling

Tales Of Vesperia

How do the Fatal Strikes work? Do they just pop up at random after you've hit an enemy a bunch of times or do you have to knock them over or make them stumble or something? Have only seen about three in ten times as many battles.
I'm enjoying the fights generally too but I'm really not very good at the fatal strikes, I still don't really get how you trigger them....

If you look at an enemy, it'll have 3 bars (green, red, blue). If you deplete one of those and use another one of the same type arte, a FS chance will appear.

Finally the whole linking artes/blast things/overlimits/etc has started to become much more , i dunno, graceful.

The boss battle i just had went so well as a result. I totally kicked his cel shaded behind in what was effectively 2 moves.

Once again, If anyone does download the ps3 demo, don't be put off, the 360 demo was awful and doesn't do the game justice one little bit.

Playing as Judith on semi-auto, does anyone know if you can link into her first arcane arte? I forget what it's called, looks like a Spinning Bird Kick. I knock an enemy into the air using regular attacks, do a Cresent Moon (base arte) and then try and follow into the arcane but nothing happens, whereas with Yuri I can go attack x3->Azure Edge->That flipping slashing arcane arte he's got.

And thanks to Piro for clearing up the Fatal Strike thing. Liking this game a lot, just think things could be a bit clearer at times.

Also, how do people rotate their characters? At the moment I'm keeping Estelle on all the time, then swapping between Yuri and Judith on manual, then it's auto on Rita/Raven and Repede/Karol. Repede's a bit of a non-character really isn't he? Awesome pipe though.

Fucking awesome pipe indeed. I just had Yuri and the three women, really. 1 Healer, 1 Long ranged Nuker, two melee seemed like the best set up.

But fucking hell is

stage 3

of the final boss hard.

I have now reached a little above the middle I think and I have become a bit disgusted at a design decision.

There is no near save before a boss fight (which I have now lost to 4 times) and I have to endure some fights before reaching the boss arena, plus I have to sit through all the dialogue.

These kind of decisions are unforgivable and usually stop me from enjoying a game. I can't believe that developers can be such idiots.

I am now officially disgusted with this and I'm hoping to get my sanity back soon enough.

I have now reached a little above the middle I think and I have become a bit disgusted at a design decision.

There is no near save before a boss fight (which I have now lost to 4 times) and I have to endure some fights before reaching the boss arena, plus I have to sit through all the dialogue.

These kind of decisions are unforgivable and usually stop me from enjoying a game. I can't believe that developers can be such idiots.

I am now officially disgusted with this and I'm hoping to get my sanity back soon enough.

This has always irked me a bit, but it's pretty standard RPG fair so maybe I'm just used to it. Even the almighty mother 3 suffers from similar problems.

Guys, how does the story hold up? At the moment I'm a few hours in, and I'm enjoying it to a point, but I'm not sure if this is going to have legs for me unless the story really grabs me and keeps it's hold. What's the general consensus in that regard?

Guys, how does the story hold up? At the moment I'm a few hours in, and I'm enjoying it to a point, but I'm not sure if this is going to have legs for me unless the story really grabs me and keeps it's hold. What's the general consensus in that regard?

The story gets a bit nonsensey later on, confusing as hell. It's the characters that carry it, because even when you lose the plot a bit, you still want to see what they're going to do/how they're going to react.

It'll be someone trying to bring about the end of the world(s) in the most complicated way possible with fusing things, and alternative things, and frequencies, and resonances and shit.

This is a Tales game. Batshit mental. and I can't wait til my copy arrives the morrow!

Grrr, this always happens. I always want to like these games, but I don't ever ever get on with the battle system, any tips? I can't get a grade at all, it took me ages to work out that I couldn't use an arte as it was just A and not touching a direction at all. I mean, i'm getting through the fights fine, but just by hitting B, the occasional arte and that's it. I block sometimes but as the enemies aren't hitting me for hardly any damage I don't bother that often.

Tips to make it more fun?

Grrr, this always happens. I always want to like these games, but I don't ever ever get on with the battle system, any tips? I can't get a grade at all, it took me ages to work out that I couldn't use an arte as it was just A and not touching a direction at all. I mean, i'm getting through the fights fine, but just by hitting B, the occasional arte and that's it. I block sometimes but as the enemies aren't hitting me for hardly any damage I don't bother that often.

Tips to make it more fun?

Make sure you've got all of your artes linked to directions and link the other character's artes to the other analogue too (which it doesn't really show you very well but you can go down on the artes screen. Also getting your combo's together in regards to base -> arcane -> altered and so on.

Then again, it depends on where you are, I was getting almost no grade at all until I'd played it for a while, which was more down to my lack of artes and power (as you get a lot of points for finishing within 30 secs or whatever it is, maybe 10 secs...)

Then again, having said all that, a few of the 'big' fights, I've had to put into auto and then just jump in to fire off a burst arte because for whatever reason I was just getting battered and on auto, the CPU can use all of your artes at any time (which I suppose you can do using the menu but it doesn't flow as well in comparison to the shortcuts)

Later on you will also need to do more things like free-running round to a particular enemy, or to get out of the way of things and stuff like the ghost wolf arte becomes incredibly useful.

I'm really liking it and I'm on about 50 hours now, the characters are actually all pretty good but I'm not sure if anyone is around the same area but when Raven gets his 'immortal one' title - there's a really weird bit of story that to me didn't make any sense, anyone else up to there, or finished already and maybe understands it a bit better?

I'm still undecided which JRPG has been my fave so far but I really didn't get on with Infinite Undiscovery and some of the chars in Blue Dragon were just a bit annoying somehow... Even Karol isn't the usual typically annoying kid, well, all the time anyway.

Am not too far in, I just cured the big tree, and am off somewhere east.

I think I worry about taking my time, I feel l ike I need to constantly be hitting something, maybe I just need to slow it down a bit. I didn't know about my teams artes, so thanks for that.

I'll just keep practicing.

I was doing ok for grades when I was on my own, especially for having max TP at the the end of a fight, but that was only because I couldn't get Azure Edge working, hehe.

Am not too far in, I just cured the big tree, and am off somewhere east.

I think I worry about taking my time, I feel l ike I need to constantly be hitting something, maybe I just need to slow it down a bit. I didn't know about my teams artes, so thanks for that.

I'll just keep practicing.

I was doing ok for grades when I was on my own, especially for having max TP at the the end of a fight, but that was only because I couldn't get Azure Edge working, hehe.

Have you got an arte on all directions? Up, left/ right, down and no direction?

You also have a 'wait' period as well in regards to what you can do, the basic combo (and sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here) is three hits and then a base arte, you can also push directions when using B to knock people down or up to start a juggle (or to hit flying enemies better) sometimes two 'normal hits, then an upwards B to get them in the air and then some sort of arte can also trigger longer combos for your other team members. Again though, I've only ever managed a 41 hit combo, the majority of the time (even at level 50 or whatever it is) I'm getting 15's or so. Tbh, I think there's probably quite a bit I'm still missing but I'm still enjoying it.

I also love using auto when I need to grind, which thankfully isn't that often but occasionally the difficulty spikes like nobody's business.

It gets a lot better as you go along IMHO but some stuff just really isn't explained that well, the battle book is always worth checking, as is the 'casual ear grabber' info from the person that tells you about synthesising that always lurks about outside the shops.

I only discovered this morning I can use B and a direction when I read the manual on the way to work!

I have two artes, one was set on just A and as I have a habit of always pushing a direction the one set to just A wasn't working!

Will do some practice grinding later.

I only discovered this morning I can use B and a direction when I read the manual on the way to work!

I have two artes, one was set on just A and as I have a habit of always pushing a direction the one set to just A wasn't working!

Will do some practice grinding later.

To be honest, I'm more often than not pushing right to run at the bad guy, so the 'no direction' one often escapes me too, you just need to stop and hit every now and then.

I can't remember when it is but have you fought that stupid wolf boss thing already? That's one of the few places where you actually need to grind, more often than not just playing it manual is the best way (and less boring, as otherwise you're just watching everyone have a fight)

You'll eventually get more artes than you'll know what to do with though, which is good, some of them are pretty bloody cool.

On a general note and again not trying to be patronising, don't ever sell your weapons (just armour) and buy shit weapons in shops if they have skills attached you haven't used because not only is some content local to specific shops, you also will learn those skills which you won't be able to use elsewhere and you can then also use them for synthing.

Just finished my adventures in the mage city, after starting this last night, and met Rita (What? She's in the manual, I not spoiling!) and now off to some port.

Have been loving this so far, liking the fact that I need to learn all these different skills in a FFIX weapon equip learning stylee.

I find Yuri not as good in battle to play as, as Lloyd or Luke of previous games, but this is still entertaining me muchly, and I can't wait for the story to get a bit more interesting :(

Just finished my adventures in the mage city, after starting this last night, and met Rita (What? She's in the manual, I not spoiling!) and now off to some port.

Have been loving this so far, liking the fact that I need to learn all these different skills in a FFIX weapon equip learning stylee.

I find Yuri not as good in battle to play as, as Lloyd or Luke of previous games, but this is still entertaining me muchly, and I can't wait for the story to get a bit more interesting :(

It does, the storyline is actually pretty good and I do actually enjoy the 'skits' when initially I thought they would be a right ball ache full of complete bollocks.

Although Yuri is a bit aloof generally, I'm actually quite glad he isn't as emo as say, Cloud and there's some stuff that happens later on that genuinely surprised me, whereas normally in JRPG's they seem to think the audience is about 10 and feel the need to spell everything out and signpost any twists about 10 hours before they happen and expect you to be shocked.

Well, against my better judegment, I gathered some games together and traded them in at Gamestation. Got it for about £25. I found Call of Duty 2 in a drawer, and got £10 for it. Amazing. I don't understand trade-in prices sometimes.

It's been a while since I played Symphonia on the Cube, but the graphics in Vesperia don't seem a massive leap. I guess there's only so far you can go with those style of visuals.

Gave this a good ten hours solid yesterday and the previous Sunday I did the same. Officially into the last quarter of the game now and I'm bloody loving it. :lol:

Really like the way the story has ramped up and gotten quite a lot darker. Won't say any more as I don't want to be posting spoilers, but in all it's easily the best non Final Fantasy JRPG I've played since Skies of Arcadia.