rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gingerling

Tales Of Vesperia

The demo is shit. The characters are annoying, and because there's no tutorial for the combat system I got owned by the boss and you have to restart the demo! :(

It hasn't put me off that much, as I know these type of demos are rubbish.

The graphics are lush though.

I played the demo off the US Marketplace - like forever ago. It was a bit cack. The general consensus is that the game is a lot better. I doubt this'll be earth shattering, but I played Tales of the Abyss and thought it was pretty decent.

Yesterday my mind was wandering - as it does - and I was thinking - When is the one RPG per gen that I totally fall in love with going to appear? There's been some decent ones for sure - Lost Odyssey is great but not OMG I love this game more than life itself. Previous examples - Final Fantasy VI, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia.

Friday?

How annoying, that's when I go on holiday.... well, it might be cheaper when I get back I spose... been looking forward to this for a while, I almost even bought Star Ocean 2 to tide me over but I heard it wasn't that good...

Anyone get this today? It came early from Gameplay. \o/

Gorgeous as anything. Also, the voice acting is surprisingly good. I'm about 3-4 hours in and loving it. They pile new stuff on, like skills and artes, surprisingly well, to the point where i doesn't even feel that complex. The battle system is amazingly fun, too.

I'm in two minds to go for this or Star Ocean. More gameplay impressions please people! :wub:

I'd heard Star Ocean was a bit shitty, although I don't really agree with them much these days, EDGE gave it a 6 or so I think it was...

And I like the Tales games, so I was going to wait for this... do we even have a star ocean thread?

This is very satisfying. It doesn't feel like a chore to fight enemies, even when grinding. Not that I've felt like I have to grind - so far (about 4 hours) it seems very balanced. his might be because I've been keeping on top of upgrading items, and synthesising upgrades, and whatnot, but I'd say even if I hadn't it wouldn't be too bad.

A lot of it comes down to how skilled you are at fighting. The system really rewards those who put the time in to learn it.

I really want this, but will resist the urge to buy it on release day.

Star Ocean is already £25 at Asda, and that's not been out a month has it?

I'll wait for the inevitable Tales reduction.

This is such a great game. I can't stop playing. Despite it being repetitive (just by being an RPG by nature) it never feels it, as it keeps chucking stuff at you to keep at, and you'll be upgrading weapons, learning new skills and new moves practically every other battle.

Played it all day. In game clock tells me 7 hours. Turned it off for the night.

The difficulty level feels great. There's been one boss that killed me once, but with a bit of preparation I got him the second time.

Grinding isn't a chore at all, not that you need to. Don't actively avoid encounters in dungeons and that seems to keep you on the right level.

The skill system is great. Each weapon allows the character to learn a skill or two, let's say "Move while blocking". While the weapon is equipped you can move while blocking, but equip the weapon for long enough and you'll be able to use "skill points" to move while blocking with any weapon. This is great because it means you have to choose between immediately moving on to a more powerful weapon, or keeping your weaker one to learn the skill, and then get the better weapon with its own skill.

Trying to learn some more recipes, but don't really know where to look. Only seen the Wonderchef twice, nd upgraded my sorbet recipe. Woo!

The difficulty level feels great. There's been one boss that killed me once, but with a bit of preparation I got him the second time.

Not the boss from the demo, perchance? The big wolf with two little wolves?

Trying to learn some more recipes, but don't really know where to look. Only seen the Wonderchef twice, nd upgraded my sorbet recipe. Woo!

A lot of new recipes are learned when you cook/level up certain foods with certain characters, so you need to have everyone cook everything, really.

How doe sit compare to Tales of Symphonia?

It's better than Tales of Symphonia, but if you didn't like Symphonia you won't like this.

Not the boss from the demo, perchance? The big wolf with two little wolves?

Yes! That's the one. Dies a couple more times since then, but I've been okay.

What I like about it is the simplicity. They've got rid of everything they can. They've even got rid of stats as much as possible. When you go to equip a new item, you'll see either an up or down arrow next to the equivalent character's face, with a number next to it, signifying the size of the increase or decrease. Simples.

Also, upgrading items is much easier now. You don't even need to unequip them first. Merely upgrade, and the item is automatically reequipped. Lovely.

I really think this would capture a lot of new fans, but I think people that have tried worse versions of this series would steer clear.

I too am really enjoying this. The only Tales game I've played previously was Symphonia, and that wasn't for long, so I'm not sure what they've changed. It's all very fluid and enjoyable. I could spend ages just fighting on the world map, the battle system is great fun.

I too am really enjoying this. The only Tales game I've played previously was Symphonia, and that wasn't for long, so I'm not sure what they've changed. It's all very fluid and enjoyable. I could spend ages just fighting on the world map, the battle system is great fun.

I just spent an hour fighting on the world map and cooking to try to level up my party and recipes. My combo making skills are getting better too, and they've just introduced the

Right trigger instant death thingy

which makes fighting even more fun.

The script is great too, though sometimes the odd word they use kind of jars with the vibe they've got going. Two examples:

"I'll get that bugger"

"Am I really that emo?"

I remember Symphonia had that too, but it's not a problem. The latter made me do a Lol out loud.

PS. Please come back to GR raze. kthx.

huzzah! my copy of this just arrived from amazon - actually completely forgot it was out, even though i was looking forward to it.

Still, good timing really, seeing as i'm just about to finish red faction.

I am right in the mood for some good ol' JRPGing. And i've got most of the afternoon free to get into it too. yay!

I'm stuck. On my way to Nor Harbour,

passing through some woods and this giant wolf boss attacks. He's got 25 000 HP and I just don't see anyway of overcoming that.

Is there a trick to beating him or is it just a case of me not having grinded enough prior to the battle? Halp!

Game's great by the way. 7 hours over 2 days suggest this might be the first J-RPG I see through to the end.

Everyone gets stuck there, don't worry :lol:

Level up, or keep trying, it is possible at lower levels. Just have everyone heal as much as possible

phew, i'm stuck there too, and i thought i was levelled up enough, but that monster just hit my face right off.

I thought i was getting somewhere by

hitting the sleeping gas flowers

but that only worked once on the little ones.

back to the grind, for a while.

phew, i'm stuck there too, and i thought i was levelled up enough, but that monster just hit my face right off.

Hopefully you've done it now, but try playing around with the battle strategy menu. You can get Estelle to keep her distance and heal you all the time. Also you can set a shortcut for her to cast whatever spell you want, which is handy for things like sharpness.

I'm 20 hours in, and played it a fair bit in Multiplayer. It's still damn good fun, but Yuri is nowehere near as fun to play as as Lloyd was in Symphonia. Still, Yuri is 76% more badass, so that's okay.

Hopefully you've done it now, but try playing around with the battle strategy menu. You can get Estelle to keep her distance and heal you all the time. Also you can set a shortcut for her to cast whatever spell you want, which is handy for things like sharpness.

I'm 20 hours in, and played it a fair bit in Multiplayer. It's still damn good fun, but Yuri is nowehere near as fun to play as as Lloyd was in Symphonia. Still, Yuri is 76% more badass, so that's okay.

yep, done it now. :lol: All it took was a small bit of levellingup, and some fine tuning/messing around with the party strategy and so on. I like that the battle system gets more interesting as you play, adding things here and there until you're not just button mashing (as i was at the start) but actually doing things on purpose. good stuff.

I can't believe this game has not only slipped under my radar but then entire series has never entered my knowledge. Any idea when a PS3 version will be out in the UK (or in English)?

It's not been announced for a Europe or America release on the PS3.

Which is good, because it has an exclusive character, and more of it is voiced, so I'd feel like I'd be missing out.

Also, if it were to come out, they'd need to get all the old voice actors back in, so it could be a while.

Speaking of voice actors, i've just had a major WTF moment playing this, after just having finished Persona 3 - got to Aspio and hooked up with Rita, then she starts talking and she definitely sounds familiar... get a bit further (to the ruins) and i suddenly realise she sounds exactly like Yukari in P3. Check IMDB, and sure enough, same VA. That's going to be bugging me all through the game.

edit: and looking at the rest of the voice cast, it turns out that Estelle and Yuri are played by the same people as Chie and Kanji in P4, which i played immediately before P3. At least they seem to have enough range that they're not as immediately noticable.

Got this, clocked 27 hours so far! Really enjoying it! It hasn't quite beaten Symphonia for me, that might change by the end though.

I'm stuck. On my way to Nor Harbour,

passing through some woods and this giant wolf boss attacks. He's got 25 000 HP and I just don't see anyway of overcoming that.

Is there a trick to beating him or is it just a case of me not having grinded enough prior to the battle? Halp!

I didn't even notice the flowers until a character mentioned it in passing 2 hours later :) I beat him first time but then foolishly forgot to save and lost about 20 minutes worth of playtime, and found myself all the way back to save point before the fight. It took me about 15 tries after that to get him (still not hitting the plants)

You can get Estelle to keep her distance and heal you all the time. Also you can set a shortcut for her to cast whatever spell you want, which is handy for things like sharpness.

I agree, that's Lloyd's two sword style was a lot more fun, and I liked the old system where you could combine attacks. But Yuri is much better as a protaganist.

Also, I really need to learn how to get Rita and Estelle to stay the fuck away from enemies and spam their moves more.