Sign in to follow this  
gingerling

Tales Of Vesperia

It's not been announced for a Europe or America release on the PS3.

Which is good, because it has an exclusive character, and more of it is voiced, so I'd feel like I'd be missing out.

Also, if it were to come out, they'd need to get all the old voice actors back in, so it could be a while.

Wait! It hasn't been announced for Europe, but it IS getting a US release. I think I'll be importing. :blah:

People who own this, did you try the demo as well? I love these kind of games, but I found the demo to be dreadful. Is the demo really representative to the full game?

The demo is terrible. I would recommend that nobody plays it. Not at all representative of how much fun the game is.
[the demo is] rubbish. It'll just make you not want the game.

Ignore the demo, buy the game.

I played the demo off the US Marketplace - like forever ago. It was a bit cack. The general consensus is that the game is a lot better.

Demo shit. Game awesome.

Wait! It hasn't been announced for Europe, but it IS getting a US release. I think I'll be importing. :)

Where did you hear this, as I can't find confirmation of a western release anywhere?

I had the feeling it was going to remain in Japan, as the PS2 version of Symphonia did.

Where did you hear this, as I can't find confirmation of a western release anywhere?

I had the feeling it was going to remain in Japan, as the PS2 version of Symphonia did.

?

I'm sure I played Symphonia on the PS2... :):excl:

Wow, it's lasting longer than I thought it would, which is a good thing. Spoilers:

I thought Alexei would be the final boss. Although I predict a fight with Flynn coming.

Also, I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE THAT BITCH STABBED ME, WHAT THE FUCK! Please universe, give me the chance to kill her and finally make her shut the fuck up!

How do I unlock overlimit lvl 3, and how do I get it so altered arts can be part of a combo chain?

Impressions after two hours are ok. The environments so far have been a bit bland and the battles are leaning a tad too much on the clusterfuck side, but I can see the battle system getting really tactical after a while and like the cinematic feel to it. I also like how, so far at least, you're not a boy wonder suddenly embarking on a mission to save humanity like in most other RPGs, just a bloke trying to get something back for his town.

Anyway, questions -I've just left the starting city, on my way to...something Hold:

-Am I supposed to know who this Flynn bloke is at this point?

-Are there tutorials for the arts/skills/strategy menus as the game opens up, or do I just have to RTFM?

-Are you just supposed to have one character on Manual or Semi-Auto and everyone else on Auto? I tried putting everyone on manual to see if I could play it in a sort of turnbased way, but everyone just stood there and there's no 'attack' command on the menu that I could find, just arts.

Impressions after two hours are ok. The environments so far have been a bit bland and the battles are leaning a tad too much on the clusterfuck side, but I can see the battle system getting really tactical after a while and like the cinematic feel to it. I also like how, so far at least, you're not a boy wonder suddenly embarking on a mission to save humanity like in most other RPGs, just a bloke trying to get something back for his town.

Anyway, questions -I've just left the starting city, on my way to...something Hold:

-Am I supposed to know who this Flynn bloke is at this point?

-Are there tutorials for the arts/skills/strategy menus as the game opens up, or do I just have to RTFM?

-Are you just supposed to have one character on Manual or Semi-Auto and everyone else on Auto? I tried putting everyone on manual to see if I could play it in a sort of turnbased way, but everyone just stood there and there's no 'attack' command on the menu that I could find, just arts.

You're meant to have 3 on auto and yourself on manual. You can choose to play a different character if you want, but Yuri is the beginners/standard choice, I assume. You can assign their attacks to your right stick though, like Estelle's healing moves which are useful, or a certain attack.

The full extent of the battle system is slowly unlocked over time. More details about Flynn are revealed as you go along.

Edit: Personally, i'm looking forward to the things i'll unlock after the main game. Think i'll go and tackle all the side quests as well. Also, I hear something about swimsuit outfits...

I've become pretty addicted now, it's sunrise and I spent all night just doing random sidequests and unlocking alternate costumes, learning artes and doing lots of cool stuff before the final battle :(

This is definitely going to be replayed several times through. I've done it the first time with no outside help, so i've missed lots of easter eggs and such like that i'll get the next time round.

Also, 10 million gald thanks to poker. I am stonking rich.

You can assign their attacks to your right stick though, like Estelle's healing moves which are useful, or a certain attack.

really?! I've been playing for nearly 20hrs now and I didn't even know that!! I assume this is throuh the artes bit of the menu then? I've only been asigning my own moves to the right stick til now...

really?! I've been playing for nearly 20hrs now and I didn't even know that!! I assume this is throuh the artes bit of the menu then? I've only been asigning my own moves to the right stick til now...

Yep. You can also go to the artes menu in battle and tell them what to do from there too. I've used to it to tell Rita to use certain type magic that's strong against some enemies, and to actually make Estelle use the right fucking heals. She ignores me somtimes when I have no HP to go off and do useless damage, or maybe she casts a TP expensive full party heal to give me a whole 20HP back. I think this is image is brilliant:

a597d25f05e971e1a821296bf6839847.png

50+ hours i've done now.

Also, if you haven't already, remember to synthesize stuff at the shop! There's some good stuff in there like character accessories, and more importantly, the item that makes you run a lot faster. (I say this after learning about it when i'm about to head into the final dungeon)

Yep. You can also go to the artes menu in battle and tell them what to do from there too. I've used to it to tell Rita to use certain type magic that's strong against some enemies, and to actually make Estelle use the right fucking heals. She ignores me somtimes when I have no HP to go off and do useless damage, or maybe she casts a TP expensive full party heal to give me a whole 20HP back. I think this is image is brilliant:

50+ hours i've done now.

Also, if you haven't already, remember to synthesize stuff at the shop! There's some good stuff in there like character accessories, and more importantly, the item that makes you run a lot faster. (I say this after learning about it when i'm about to head into the final dungeon)

Fair point on this actually, I'm currently leaving everyone on Auto but I do realise some odd decisions, Repede keeps on using thievery, even against bosses, which is idiotic really.

What's the point in having your auto characters learn the movement skills? The ones like backstep or running guard which aren't automatic and require you to actually do something. Do they just do them automatically anyway?

And also, seemingly everytime I go to the characters' skills menus I get a message popping up telling me that certain skills have now been learnt or are available to be junctioned or whatever, even after I've inspected them, selected them, unselected them repeatedly. How do I get these to go away?

Apart from that, I'm quite enjoying this. I'm finding that I'm not playing it for hours at a time for some reason, but forty or fifty minutes or so here and there are rather relaxing. The characters are fairly likeable too, cliched and with horrible accents for the most part, but fairly unoffending and occasionally funny. Rita's great :(. The battles for me are still a bit of a button mash affair though. At the moment I have my dog attack whoever I'm attacking and Karol/Rita off doing there own thing elsewhere so it doesn't get too crowded, with Estelle healing from afar. Normally though it's just *Azure Edge, attack, guard, wait, attack, guard, wait* rinse and repeat. Am I supposed to be juggling enemies DMC style with the launching artes, or is the battle system not that advanced?

Do they just do them automatically anyway?

I think so.

And also, seemingly everytime I go to the characters' skills menus I get a message popping up telling me that certain skills have now been learnt or are available to be junctioned or whatever, even after I've inspected them, selected them, unselected them repeatedly. How do I get these to go away?

The popup means that you have put points into a talent that you get free anyway because your weapon has it. Unselect it and the popup should go away.

Apart from that, I'm quite enjoying this. I'm finding that I'm not playing it for hours at a time for some reason, but forty or fifty minutes or so here and there are rather relaxing. The characters are fairly likeable too, cliched and with horrible accents for the most part, but fairly unoffending and occasionally funny. Rita's great :(. The battles for me are still a bit of a button mash affair though. At the moment I have my dog attack whoever I'm attacking and Karol/Rita off doing there own thing elsewhere so it doesn't get too crowded, with Estelle healing from afar. Normally though it's just *Azure Edge, attack, guard, wait, attack, guard, wait* rinse and repeat. Am I supposed to be juggling enemies DMC style with the launching artes, or is the battle system not that advanced?

You can do some mad combos, but it depends how far you are into the game. Button mashing = bad! Do you have any arcane artes? You can link arcane arts and base arts so a standard combo would be Attack > Attack > Attack > Base Arte > Arcane ArteYou can add more attacks later on as well, and you get something called overlimit as well as mystic artes and overlimit burst artes. Also, there are skills that change certain artes and they become "Altered Artes"

I like Yuri/Raven/Rita's voices the most.

Right, haven't had any of that yet so I'm guessing it gets more complicated later on. Just defeated the

Golem

boss in the ruins near the cave city, about 6 hours in. It seems to be whizzing by at the moment, I don't think any location's taken more than an hour of exploration so far. Am I going too fast? I fight every enemy I encounter in dungeons, and every one that chases after me on the worldmap. Don't think I've found any sidequests yet, and for the time being the world map has only been worth exploring for those tree stumps that give you items...

Sidequests are usually found by sleeping at inns, talking to people in the towns, going back into a town afterwards. Probably not a lot of them available till a bit more in from where you are.

You're not going too fast, fighting every monster you see is certainly more than me!

About ten hours in and really starting to enjoy this now. Once the battle system hits its stride, lining up combos and issuing orders with a flick of the thumbstick in the middle of an intense fight becomes very satisfying. Apart from that the frequent (but short) cutscenes keep the story flowing at a nice pace and the cast of characters are a lot better than in some other JRPGs I could care to mention. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more interaction with the towns that break up the dungeons, and things can seems a bit too...chunky at times, but these minor things didn't stop me from playing it for three hours this evening.

Good stuff so far <_<.

I am half way through the final dungeon, and i'm pretty glad I stopped and took two whole days going around doing sidequests and lots of the bonus stuff, having Karol dressed up like a frog or a little girl is class <_< Also, kitty cat waitress outfit for Rita is genius. Also, all the travelling around and fighting gained me ten or so levels along with a whole variety of new moves (Rita's best spell,

Meteor Storm

, as well as Yuri's mystic arte).

Final Boss defeat! It took bloody long as well, an hour and a half from the save point beforehand :(

60 hours played time, level 65. Although about 10 of those hours are probably wasted from leaving the xbox on doing nothing.

Fuck yeah bonus stuff, replay value is massive! I barely did a fifth of the sidequests at that!

How do the Fatal Strikes work? Do they just pop up at random after you've hit an enemy a bunch of times or do you have to knock them over or make them stumble or something? Have only seen about three in ten times as many battles.

Juat cleared the woods with the big scorpion boss, still enjoying it :(. One thing that does annoy me though is the lack of control I have over the automatic characters, when an enemy has a weakness for example but Rita uses elemental spells that don't exploit it. There's only so many shortcuts you can assign and pausing the game mid battle to go quasi-turn-based is just annoying when the pace of the fights are so fast.

:) I beat him first time but then foolishly forgot to save and lost about 20 minutes worth of playtime, and found myself all the way back to save point before the fight. It took me about 15 tries after that to get him (still not hitting the plants)

The same thing happened to me - got to Nor Habour and got whacked by 3 assassins!

I'm really enjoying this, surprisingly the skits aren't making me want to gouge my eyes out either, they're actually quite watchable and the characters quite amenable. I do like the fact that some things which are screamingly obvious

like Estelle being a princess

aren't revealed like some amazing shock (which a LOT of JRPG's do, for some reason) aside from shock from Karol, who's young and an eejit, with Yuri pretty much understanding what's going on around him but not spelling it out for all the 'tards out there.

The 'growth' of it all is also quite good too, with things being fairly well explained and not too OTT

I've just started the guild with Karol etc

in regards to the reasons you're now out saving the world.

I'm enjoying the fights generally too but I'm really not very good at the fatal strikes, I still don't really get how you trigger them....