Sign in to follow this  
gingerling

Tales Of Vesperia

It's at times like this I wish devs would switch to the PS3 for RPG's. All this region locking that MS have been pulling lately with games I have wanted is pissing me off.

It's at times like this I wish devs would switch to the PS3 for RPG's. All this region locking that MS have been pulling lately with games I have wanted is pissing me off.

Namco region locked it, not MS. I hope this sells well, it sucks when stuff like this doesn't come to Europe. Unfortunately I completed it months ago so I guess I'm part of the problem :wub:

For the record, you can get a Japanese and PAL 360 for less than a PS3 costs ^_^

Publishers choose to region lock games if they want, not MS

Publishers choose to region lock games if they want, not MS

Correct, but it's nice that Sony doesn't even give the publishers the option of region locking games. One of the few things Sony did well this gen imo, Nintendo and MS really need to do the same for their next consoles.

Correct, but it's nice that Sony doesn't even give the publishers the option of region locking games. One of the few things Sony did well this gen imo, Nintendo and MS really need to do the same for their next consoles.

Definately.

Bumpety bump.

Eurogamer review of the NTSC import is up since this morning. Really can't wait for this now, I reckon it's the only new videogame I'll pick up until the winter line-up. At the same time though I've got this anxious reluctance to play it at all cause I know that if it turns out to be shite I'd have lost my faith in JRPGs forever. They've broken my heart so many times before.

Still, 'refreshing', 'nuance', 'depth' and 'soul' in terms of the story and characters are keeping me hopeful.

Anyone got a cheap preorder on this? £40 seems the minimum in all the usual places.

Bumpety bump.

Eurogamer review of the NTSC import is up since this morning. Really can't wait for this now, I reckon it's the only new videogame I'll pick up until the winter line-up. At the same time though I've got this anxious reluctance to play it at all cause I know that if it turns out to be shite I'd have lost my faith in JRPGs forever. They've broken my heart so many times before.

Still, 'refreshing', 'nuance', 'depth' and 'soul' in terms of the story and characters are keeping me hopeful.

Anyone got a cheap preorder on this? £40 seems the minimum in all the usual places.

The latest Tales games have been much of a muchness (bar odd ones like Legendia) and so if you've played any, you'll know what to expect.

There is a demo up on the JP marketplace that runs in English, if you fancy a look at that. Good combat, interesting (yet long) dungeons, good sidequests, and usually very fleshed out stories. Full of mad japanese cuteness, and all the rest. I love them, and shall be picking this up, at a cheap pricepoint when it drops.

Hopefully secondhand if I can, fuck you Namco for STILL taking so long to release these games.

At the same time though I've got this anxious reluctance to play it at all cause I know that if it turns out to be shite I'd have lost my faith in JRPGs forever. They've broken my heart so many times before.

It's awesome, don't worry.

I wonder how long the EG reviewer played for, etc

Quite looking forward to this, it looks actually quite good and for some reason I never got on with Infinite Undiscovery... I should really try and go back to it...

There's a demo of this on the US marketplace too.

Tried it out- art style is gorgeous, lots of charm. The demo had a brief cutscene and then a dungeony section. It's alright, doesn't do anything crazily new.

The strength will be on the story/characters so in the full release, that stuff should hopefully shine. Boring demo though!

The only question in my mind is whether playing the game will cause me to bleed sugar water from the eyes and mouth. I couldn't get on with Tales of Symphonia at all as after 6 or so hours play I'd have been quite happy for every single character to die in a fire, hopefully being replaced by a cast with a fraction of the personality of the Skies of Arcadia crew or Persona 4 classmates.

If you didn't like Symphonia, the chances are you won't like this. Yuri is infinitely better than Lloyd, but there are some irritating characters here.

Definitely. Symphonia/Abyss and Vesperia are all much of a muchness, character and art style wise.

I heard us 360 owners got the short end of the straw as this is getting released for PS3 as well, with added content that was apparently imprinted onto the 360 disc anyway but unusable. And us Euro-360 gamers got the ultimate short end what with it being A YEAR LATER and everything.

Still, i'm pleased just to have it anyway. I watched the Tales of the Abyss anime, it was subpar. Not too fussed the game didn't really get released here.

I haven't seen the anime so can't possibly comment on that, but yeah, the game itself is brilliant. I honestly wouldn't have a clue which to choose between it and Vesperia. The Abyss certainly has a better cast/story, but I loved the achievements in Vesperia, they add loads to the experience.

Tales of the Abyss is great though, and well worth getting if you're a Tales fan, one of the very best in the series.

Shame it never got released here and I don't know how to aquire it for my region locked 360/PC

Abyss was a PS2 game, and very good it was too.

I love Symphonia. So much that i remember laughing every time angel girl face tripped over.Cant believe it`s been such a long wait but amazon have this up now for june 30th!

Aside from the infamous Panzer Dragoon Saga one has there ever been a good demo of a JRPG? I liked looking at the dance scene in the Final Fantasy VIII demo but I remember the gameplay being horrible, plunging me in part of the way into the story, giving no indication of how the battle system worked, and not having a clue how to do anything - the Blue Dragon one was similar.