Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels

First two episodes are out there. Have been for a couple of days, so there doesn't seem to have been much buzz around it. I've not watched them myself yet, but a friend, who hated the movie, says these two episodes are decent enough.

I'm not fond of the style. It worked well in the Tartakovsky series, but here it makes the characters look like action figures.

As to the episodes themselves, I thought the first one was awful while the second one was okay. The battle droids in particular are a low point, and that's coming from someone who thought they were one of the best things about The Phantom Menace.

The stories are so simplistic, even compared to the ten minute shorts from the Tartakovsky series. The first episode consists of Yoda outsmarting battledroids, and nothing else. The second episode has Anakin and his gawky adolescent, painfully bland apprentice looking through a windscreen for three-quarters of the episode.

The creative team has also made a huge mistake trying to give the clone soldiers personalities. I don't care about these clones, because I know they're going to turn on the Jedis and slaughter their children, so stop turning them into secondary characters. Leave them as faceless cannon fodder, as they were in the original cartoon and the movies.

It's easy to say that it's just a Saturday morning cartoon, and that it's for kids. Well, look at Wolverine and the X-Men. It's a Saturday cartoon, it's aimed at the same audience, and the last episode was a stand alone 'skirmish' episode, but it's doing all the things The Clone Wars does only it's doing them a lot better.

The first one wasnt a particularly good way to start a series,

Not very exciting, too much yoda, overall too much like watching Battlefront

The second episode was better, maybe because it was more like watching a Rogue Squadron mission.

I have decided "snips" is a racial slur against Twiliks or whatever Ahsoka is, and am suprised that Anakin gets away with using it.

Still its better than Droids or Ewoks and so will no doubt be downloading episode 3 this week.

The film was sooo bad, this'll have to be 20 times better for me to even take interest

isn't there a high budget mature live action series being made?

Yes thats correct, although that is a few years off yet. Well I have managed to watch the first 3 episodes and have to admit that Im enjoying it so far, they certainly get better as they go on and there are so many references to the original trilogy thats its hard not to smile when you see them. For a TV show its really polished and the quality of the animation is superb even if the designs take a little getting used to. Not seen the movie as I had heard it was just three episodes put together as a full feature and figured those episodes would come along later in the series anyway, but with more context as to what was happening.

So for me its so far so good and Im already looking forward to next weeks episode.

Oh I do hate the droids. Very much so, watching the first ep now and I really hate it so far.

Edit: And now watching the second. So the separatists have these ships that are specifically designed to funnel droids to life pod so they can cut them open with blow torches....what exactly is wrong with second out a couple of fighters to blow them up?

Oh wait, no "dramatic tension" that way.

Surely it's in reference to their hair, in which case it's nothing to do with race?

I'm not quite sure who's joking in here, but I think it originated in the film version, after Anakin told her "don't be snippy with me" (or similar), meaning "Sharp-tongued; impertinent".

It makes it far more enjoyable to watch if you think of it as a slur, otherwise Anakins just a bit too wimpy.

I quite liked episode 3, particularly the "new" Ywings, the bubble gunnery turret is reminescent of the preproduction artwork.

I liked the first 2 episodes... although I also enjoyed the film. The droid's will obviously be annoying to some, but I like the fact they're giving the clones personalities.

Ghost, the film is pretty much the pilot for the show; so you won't find the story of the film in any of the later episodes. The timeline of the show is already taking place after the movie, as the film was basically the introduction of Anakin's apprentice; and you see them together in the second show.

hang on, it goes:

clone wars series

clone wars film

clone ware series II

right? Where do they fit into the "timeline"?

I'd imagine The Clone Wars (CG) film and series are sandwiched somewhere inside Clone Wars (2D), because General Grevous gets choked by Mace Windu in the 2D series, and he was choking and coughing in the last episode of The Clone Wars (CG). Clone Wars (2D) leads directly into Revenge of the Sith, so The Clone Wars (CG) can't be set after it.

So it would be something like:

Attack of the Clones

Clone Wars 2D series

The Clone Wars CG movie

The Clone Wars CG series

Clone Wars 2D series

Revenge of the Sith

I haven't seen The Clone Wars CG movie though, so that might contradict what I've said.

Starwars.com, although I gather it doesn't work outside the US, so you'll need to use a proxy. Failing that, it's on Cartoon Network (assuming CN is the same in the UK and US).

I'm really enjoying it. Granted, it's aimed a bit more at kids, but I'm still engrossed. Strangely, I also prefer it to the 2D animated cartoons. I'd better get my asbestos suit for that one.

Don't know about anyone else but i watch it in my living room.

Like your style. :)

Starwars.com, although I gather it doesn't work outside the US, so you'll need to use a proxy. Failing that, it's on Cartoon Network (assuming CN is the same in the UK and US).

I'm really enjoying it. Granted, it's aimed a bit more at kids, but I'm still engrossed. Strangely, I also prefer it to the 2D animated cartoons. I'd better get my asbestos suit for that one.

It's not on in the UK yet, so you'll have to torrent it. Or watch it via the site though a proxy.

Thanks.

Don't know when it's going to be on in the UK do you?

Well, what a pile of crap that episode was. It was basically the factory scene from Attack of the Clones with space trains instead of conveyer belts and added comedy droids.

Man, I hate those droids so much. The scene with the fire team might as well have had some Flintstones-style canned laughed over it.

The only good thing to come out of it was the lovely Padme character design. I kept thinking she'd make a great lead in a video game, and found myself wishing I was playing this imaginary game instead of watching this directionless excuse for entertainment.

I'm basically just watching it because it's Star Wars, now. I don't think I'll make it to the end of the season.