Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels, feat. Bad Batch

12 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Just got up to the Krell section of S4.

Hide contents

Treason it is, then.

Quite enjoyed the last few episodes, though I still really wish there was an option to disable that epilepsy filter, as it's more noticeable as the combat gets increasingly brutal (not long ago saw a bunch of fish-men turned to chum, fyi). I guess its baked into the masters, but it'd be nice if they did a reissue with that corrected for.

Apparently it’s a Disney+ thing. If it really bothers you, you can always buy the Blu-rays...

Rebels season 3 is feeding my extended universe Star Wars nerd like a charm.

Spoiler

They've nailed the temperament of you know who. I also particularly like the music in the background of every scene with him in. Dat organ.

Rebels S3E18 is one of the best slices of Star Wars ever.

Spoiler

I was nerdgasming through the whole thing: Thrawn trap, my favourite ship in the extended universe turns up as a genuinely scary threat (Tie Defender), truly awesome visuals with the nebula stuff, a daring last ditch effort to escape, with even more impressive visuals, and finally a parting shot that is totally the stuff of the best Star Wars can be - about plucky good guys coming together in the face of insurmountable evil. Put a little lump in my throat...

S3E20 long thoughts and BIG SPOILERS

Spoiler

So if there was a criticism I could level at Rebels as a show in general, it's that it's often been all too eager to bring in fan favourite characters from the entire franchise who somehow all end up interacting with the main cast at some point. If this was any other show I think it would be justified to give it a lot of flak for it. However, Rebels does always seem to strike the right balance of using its universe well and somehow never feeling too contrived. So it was with some trepidation I realised who would turn up in this episode as it felt it was really starting to stretch its justification...

But then it completely won me over by just handling it superbly. The "fight" evoked the classic samurai films that were so much the inspiration for Star Wars itself, and it was a joy to watch.

The best thing Rebels does is use its new characters as an engaging cast for everyone, but also acting for us adults as a window into the original trilogy in the way we saw them when we were kids.

It's amazing.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

S3E20 long thoughts and BIG SPOILERS

Reveal hidden contents

So if there was a criticism I could level at Rebels as a show in general, it's that it's often been all too eager to bring in fan favourite characters from the entire franchise who somehow all end up interacting with the main cast at some point. If this was any other show I think it would be justified to give it a lot of flak for it. However, Rebels does always seem to strike the right balance of using its universe well and somehow never feeling too contrived. So it was with some trepidation I realised who would turn up in this episode as it felt it was really starting to stretch its justification...

But then it completely won me over by just handling it superbly. The "fight" evoked the classic samurai films that were so much the inspiration for Star Wars itself, and it was a joy to watch.

The best thing Rebels does is use its new characters as an engaging cast for everyone, but also acting for us adults as a window into the original trilogy in the way we saw them when we were kids.

It's amazing.

Spoiler

A very sudden but very fitting end to a fan favourite character. 

The Rebels art style is a bit strange, isn't it? It looks great for all the new characters

Spoiler

plus Asohka, who genuinely looks like an older version of the same character from the Clone Wars

but every time they bring in someone you're already familiar with, it looks terrible. We've just watched an S2 episode featuring a cameo from

Spoiler

Yoda

and my son wouldn't believe it was actually meant to be the same character, he thought it was a trick on the part of the bad guys or something.

17 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Rebels art style is a bit strange, isn't it? It looks great for all the new characters

Reveal hidden contents

plus Asohka, who genuinely looks like an older version of the same character from the Clone Wars

but every time they bring in someone you're already familiar with, it looks terrible. We've just watched an S2 episode featuring a cameo from

Reveal hidden contents

Yoda

and my son wouldn't believe it was actually meant to be the same character, he thought it was a trick on the part of the bad guys or something.

I had the same problem. But to be honest that was the only character I thought looked bad. As in genuinely bad rather than an interesting change of style.

S4E6 and S4E7:

Spoiler

I love how subtle the affection between Hera and Kanan has been throughout the series. It's nice seeing an example of a deep connection already established when you first meet them but to it to still be able to grow and develop.

As to the episodes themselves: Tie Defender dogfight fuck yeah!

And I thought Episode 6 felt a bit Princess Mononoke with the wolf, only for it to have a scene that was pretty much 100% visually inspired by that film in the next episode. Amazing.

Well, I finished it. That was amazing. The final feature length episode is up there with the best Star Wars has ever been.

Spoiler

I literally did not expect the you know what to turn up, but when you think about the themes of the series of being in tune with the natural Force it makes perfect sense. I practically jumped out of my chair in delight.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Just watched S4E10

I think I need a lie down

Hide contents

You all know why. It felt like something like this was coming, but by Christ the show makes sure it earns it.

I've been waiting for this i come in here every day just for you. 

I think I'm going to go into Mandalorian this week with a newfound respect for what Filoni etc are clearly trying to achieve by tying so many threads together. It's ambitious, but if they pull it off it could work wonders for essentially rescuing the Star Wars saga.

On 07/10/2008 at 11:02, Campfire_Burning said:

The creative team has also made a huge mistake trying to give the clone soldiers personalities. I don't care about these clones, because I know they're going to turn on the Jedis and slaughter their children, so stop turning them into secondary characters. Leave them as faceless cannon fodder, as they were in the original cartoon and the movies.

lol

Spoiler

giphy.gif

On 18/02/2015 at 10:25, Treble said:

As Rebels is practically identical (which is a compliment) suggest we change the title to include it.

Watched the first ep, and it's really good isn't it? Clone Wars was hampered by its characters; the Jedis' characteristics were defined by the prequels, and the clones were - by their nature - pretty samey (heh) but Rebels feels much fresher.

Simply having a rebellion, and that outsiders vs. the baddies dynamic, is such a core SW thing that when it rushes back in, it feels like the universe you know. In a way you can never get with the weird, creepy feeling the prequel-era stuff has, with its ambivalent Jedi, brainwashed troops, corruption and feeling of impending doom!

100% bang on from Treble there, back when the show started!

On 06/03/2017 at 12:10, Matt Defis said:

The through imperial eyes episode was originally planned to all be first person but they decided against it but kept the start. They said they only have models of Kallus in his Imp armour which was why when he woke up at the start he was still in his uniform. 

This was something I had been wondering about: it did feel very much like it opened with something they had originally intended to do and I was a little disappointed it didn't, despite being a cracking episode.

7 hours ago, Benny said:

I think I'm going to go into Mandalorian this week with a newfound respect for what Filoni etc are clearly trying to achieve by tying so many threads together. It's ambitious, but if they pull it off it could work wonders for essentially rescuing the Star Wars saga.

I’m watching it atm, one episode to go in season one and tbh I’m kind of baffled why everyone lost their shit over it.  It’s okay, but it’s yet to reach the heights of Clone Wars or Rebels.  I’ll keep watching, I’m want to see what season 2 does with the characters twitter spoiled for me.

32 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I’m watching it atm, one episode to go in season one and tbh I’m kind of baffled why everyone lost their shit over it.  It’s okay, but it’s yet to reach the heights of Clone Wars or Rebels.  I’ll keep watching, I’m want to see what season 2 does with the characters twitter spoiled for me.

Most people who watch the Mandalorian haven't seen Clone Wars or Rebels (or at least hadn't, when the show launched - the ready availability of all of this stuff on Disney+ and the hype around TCW's final season has definitely led to increased interest).

So for most people it's just a really good Star Wars show that looks the part, ticks all the right nostalgia boxes and does something more interesting with the concept than the last mega-budget movie managed. Plus it's set closest to the Original Trilogy which for most people is still Real Star Wars.

I do think the second season has been a significant improvement on the first, though, and I enjoyed that well enough, so hopefully you'll come to enjoy it.

Up to S6-ish now I think:

Spoiler

The Mandos have just been taken over by the horn-bros.

Oh and btw you'd think bringing that dude back would be cheap fanservice, but the way they use his character is actually really interesting, and ties in to overarcing plot developments way more than I'd have expected. The last season or so especially has done some really impressive worldbuilding that ties in nicely to what were initially tiny incidental details in the movies, but without making stuff feel too small, rather in fact serving to expand stuff out.

Something The Mandalorian show related:

Spoiler

I went back and watched the last few episodes after Rebels and

Spoiler

I think now I know the characters who turn up, I can safely say they nailed them.

• JohnC changed the title to Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels, feat. Bad Batch