Straight to DVD/Low Budget Horror Thread

Goose

Its playing frightfest on Friday, and yeah, it was a brutal shoot according to the Director. the lead actor had malaria throughout!

Its really only for people who truly love the Fulci era of zombie movies. The acting and script let it down somewhat but the story, cinematography and most importantly the internal logic of the movie are all great. I cant wait to see it again.

• 1 month later...

watched Night Of the Demons, its a remake of the 80s classic. been waiting for this one for a while, it was pretty good overall, but as always not a patch on the original. some half decent gore scenes and nudity but overall it doesnt seem to hold together like the original. shame.

watched Night Of the Demons, its a remake of the 80s classic. been waiting for this one for a while, it was pretty good overall, but as always not a patch on the original. some half decent gore scenes and nudity but overall it doesnt seem to hold together like the original. shame.

Didn't realise this had been remade. I loved the original 80's one, so might hunt this down, along with The Dead from further up...

Oh no, wait. I was thinking of another film, not Night of the Demons...

• 2 weeks later...

Night of The Demons

This is a remake of the 1988 film of the same name.

It’s Halloween night in an old gothic mansion in New Orleans there’s a party happening. Just as the party is getting going the cops come and break it up. Everyone is asked to leave but 6 guests (3 guys, 3 girls) and the host get stuck in the house. They get attacked by demons and have to try and hold out until sunrise.

The only reason I grabbed this was because Monica Keena is in it (I’ve had a lot of love for her since her time in Undeclared) but I really enjoyed it. It’s played mostly for laughs, there’s a great horror rock soundtrack, some nice gore, good monsters, it doesn’t overstay it’s welcome and there’s one or two decent scares. Edward Furlong is also in it, he’s a bit of a blob now and in a great bit of casting he’s playing a drugged up waster. The rest of the cast are fine and as far as remakes of old horror movies go this is one of the better ones. 3.5/5

Here's a weird one. Remember big Hollywood director Joel Schumacher? He directed a film for Lionsgate which was promptly dumped faster than a red hot coal. It got screened in about 20 places to fulfil a theatrical release clause and now its vanished again, perhaps to end up on DVD at some point.

It's called Blood Creak (Town Creak) and it features Nazis, occultism and zombie horses. Not to mention starring Michael Fassbender as some kind of Nazi Occult Practitioner. It's basically Nazi Zombies Vs Rednecks. What's not to love? All I've got is quite a positive review which says it's obviously not Citizen Kane but is much better than a lot of stuff that's getting a wide release. Again, no real idea why it was dumped - hell even Schumacher's name might have got someone interested in seeing it.

Here's the review, some minor spoilers

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42411

So, I finally got round to watching this today, it was pretty good to be honest. kept me entertained throughout and I thought the scene were they got into the house was quite well done and tense. a few nice gory bits round this film off and id give it a 3.5/5 definately worth a watch.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big up to a film called 'dread' about a bunch of students who get a bit carried away when writing a thesis on fear. Well acted, uniquely stylish and sick in the head, with an awesome final act. Didnt realise but its actually a UK shot UK produced film with a British cast. Despite them all playing US college students in Pittsburgh

I watched this last night and it was really good. Shaun Evans is excellent and the set-up is clever and well executed. I think it might have been better if

they took out some of the cheap scares; like the noisy, quick cuts to the crazed axe-man. I assume there was no axe-man and Quaid was just a psycho?

Anyway, I think this is probably my favorite adaption of a Clive Barker book or story. Until someone makes a film of In the Hills, the Cities.

Recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't find a thread, and it's probably not worth starting a new one, but just watched the direct to video Paranormal Entity. And you know what? Despite being a blatant rip-off of Paranormal Activity, I thought it was the better film. It addresses some of the problems of Activity by not making the guy with the camera a complete douchebag. It's paced better, with less boring bits, and the shocks are a bit nastier. The woman playing the mother is a bit of a poor actor, but the other two leads are fine.

Cracking pair of tits on the girl who plays the daughter as well. Plus she gets them out. Although...

...at the time, she's getting raped by a ghost. Which killed my boner.

From now on, I shall call this film Paranormal Entitty.