IGNORED

Straight to DVD/Low Budget Horror Thread

Goose

Just watched Dead Snow.

Not really sure what to make of it. It starts off like some teeny flick, full of metal tunes and crazy shenanigans on snow. And then the Nazi zombies appear and it gets crazy. Some nice bits - an excellent POV munchie bit, and some good grue in places. It's not too shabby.

A 7 out of 10 or something. Oh, and sex on the shitter!? WTF!?

I thought it was alright. It's more of a horror/comedy and the toilet sex was the grimest part. Especially

when she put his finger in her mouth

Also watched:-

Donkey Punch which was pretty decent. Kinda like Dead Calm mixed with Human Traffic.

The Children which i thought was really well done. Lots of good tension without much silliness and ott gore.

Trailer Park of Terror. Watchable but fairly run-of-the-mill hillbilly zombie/cannibal shenanigans.

• 1 month later...
The new one is for a film called Splinter, about a couple who are robbed by another couple. They all end up at a gas station where their problem really start. Here's the trailer for it, which I thought looked alright to be honest, probably nothing that'll change the world but perhaps worth keeping an eye out for.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/splinter/

Watched this one last night and it's lack of budget really constrained it. With any film of this ilk you really need to have a good monster but here they clearly didn't have the funds to show it so whenever it appeared we had excessive shaky-cam and over editing. Rather than building tension it just killed it dead. The odd glimpses you do get looked quite promising but without the appeal of the monster the pedestrian set-up and stock characters can't hold your enjoyment.

• 3 weeks later...

French Film - The Horde - Four corrupt cops decide to visit the apartment block of a gang who recently murdered a colleague of theirs - only they didn't figure on a group of cannibals deciding to turn up and spoil the revenge plans. Cops & gangsters must team up to fight the threat....Looks suitably bloody, if a little 28 Days Later..

http://www.joblo.com/video/joblo/player.php?video=lahorde

Anyone see Dolan's Cadillac? Based off Stephen King's novel. I thought it was pretty good, surprised the bagman from American Beauty hasn't been in more big movies TBH. Big Daddy from Land of the Dead is in it too, with some pretty hysterical lines.

I saw this a few days ago. It was alright, though a pretty unlikely King short to base a film on,

man digs hole for half an hour

. Slater's henchman was the younger of the two killers from A History of Violence, too.

Two crewmen awaken from hyper-sleep aboard a spacecraft. None of their equipment is working, and their memories are incomplete. What was their mission? How much time has passed? Where are they? Who are they? As they try to piece things together, they discover they are not alone, and the ship's new inhabitants - tribal warriors carrying crudely made weapons - are moving among them, intent on killing all aboard. As the space travelers unravel the frightening and deadly secrets the ship harbors, they realize the survival of mankind hinges on their actions. They must regain control of the ship before Pandorum takes over

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/pando...feature-trailer

• 2 months later...

Here's a weird one. Remember big Hollywood director Joel Schumacher? He directed a film for Lionsgate which was promptly dumped faster than a red hot coal. It got screened in about 20 places to fulfil a theatrical release clause and now its vanished again, perhaps to end up on DVD at some point.

It's called Blood Creak (Town Creak) and it features Nazis, occultism and zombie horses. Not to mention starring Michael Fassbender as some kind of Nazi Occult Practitioner. It's basically Nazi Zombies Vs Rednecks. What's not to love? All I've got is quite a positive review which says it's obviously not Citizen Kane but is much better than a lot of stuff that's getting a wide release. Again, no real idea why it was dumped - hell even Schumacher's name might have got someone interested in seeing it.

Here's the review, some minor spoilers

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42411

Infestation - Big alien insect things take over the world, the film focuses on a small group of survivors as they battle it out. Quite enjoyable trash fun, couple of very cool moments.

Dead Wood - Four holidaying teens out camping in the woods meet a mysterious girl, bad things start to happen. Poor movie made all the worse by some atrocious dialogue and suspect acting.

Messengers 2 The Scarecrow - A down on his luck crop farmer stumbles upon a scarecrow which when used, appears to make his fortunes change, but at a high cost. The first movie wasnt great but was watchable, the second is barely that, the ending is particularly hilarous though.

Dead Girl - Uncomfortable movie about two friends who find a seemingly dead girl tied down in the basement of a deserted building. Instead of doing the right thing, they see it as a fantastic opportunity for having sex. Not great, but the storyline and movie do stay with you for a while, and the acting is strong.

• 4 months later...

Watched The Collector this evening with the misses. She was petrified. ^_^ I haven't enjoyed a horror as much in ages.

the-collector-350x518.jpg

What it really has going for it is pace, if you can forgive the first ten minutes or so there is a really competent horror film here. The basic premise is that a guy breaks in to a mansion to rob a safe but finds himself trapped inside with 'the collector' who is in the process of butchering the family that live there. Oh, and he's planted booby traps all over the house. Loads of them! It's written by the guy who did the last three saw films, but don't let that put you off, it's a cracking little film with a fantastic baddie.

It's nothing new by any means but if you fancy a night in with a few scares it's well worth a rent.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• 3 weeks later...

Town Creek/Blood Creek

I grabbed this because Michael Fassbender is in it but even good actors end up in rubbish films. He must have lost a bet or something. Anyway, America 1936 and Michael Fassbender arrives from Germany. He’s a Nazi researcher looking for ancient runes left in America by early Viking explorers, he’s an evil Indiana Jones basically.

So jump forward to today and there’s an Iraq war veteran missing for a few years then he turns up. He tells his brother to get their guns and saddle up for some killing. Right, it all goes a bit strange then. There’s some zombie-ghost horses that are pretty cool but otherwise it’s a bit of a mess. Joel Schumacher directed it. I also watched The Collector which was also terrible. Bad weekend for downloaded horror films.

Town Creek/Blood Creek

I grabbed this because Michael Fassbender is in it but even good actors end up in rubbish films. He must have lost a bet or something. Anyway, America 1936 and Michael Fassbender arrives from Germany. He’s a Nazi researcher looking for ancient runes left in America by early Viking explorers, he’s an evil Indiana Jones basically.

So jump forward to today and there’s an Iraq war veteran missing for a few years then he turns up. He tells his brother to get their guns and saddle up for some killing. Right, it all goes a bit strange then. There’s some zombie-ghost horses that are pretty cool but otherwise it’s a bit of a mess. Joel Schumacher directed it. I also watched The Collector which was also terrible. Bad weekend for downloaded horror films.

hahaha i watched both of these back to back too. Blood creek is fucking AWFUL!

I didnt like the collector either. nice set up and all that, with the traps and stuff, but it made absolutely no sense

What didn't you like about 'The Collector' Silent Runner?

I thought it was brisk and didn't outstay it's welcome

i did roll my eyes when he escaped only to see the little girl banging on the window.

I needed to know more about the Collector and why he was doing these things. Even a simple explenation would have done. I liked the idea but the traps themselves were kind of dull and it didn't have any of the imagination of Saw 1. The girl from Californication was a nice treat though.

I needed to know more about the Collector and why he was doing these things. Even a simple explenation would have done. I liked the idea but the traps themselves were kind of dull and it didn't have any of the imagination of Saw 1. The girl from Californication was a nice treat though.

Why did you need to know more? I don't think it would have added to the film. I think it would have actually made it worse. The film is basically about some guy robbing a house, whose timing is all wrong. Imagine if you were that guy, you'd be thinking, "Of all the nights..." The hook isn't the traps at all.

Ok so I decided to sit and watch Cabin Fever 2 for some reason yesterday, not being a fan of the first one at all Im not really sure why I decided to do that but still. It was pretty bad as you might expect, but strangely not as awful as I was anticipating. Contaminated water gets bottled and finds its way to a nearby high school on its Prom night with disasterous consequences. Its crap horror, but not the sort of crap horror which is totally unwatchable. A couple of scenes stick in the mind from a sick gross-out point of view, however its mostly forgettable other than that.