Cancelled Halo MMO

Alex W.

Gamasutra article

Flickr gallery of artwork

When they say "MMO" they mean "MMORPG". As in "pretty much just WoW with Halo on the box". Seriously, how do you think "Halo" and get these:

2881820387_17a95002e5.jpg

spartan_girls.jpg

2882625802_bae0f05237.jpg

Not to knock someone else's work too much, but I can see why this was canned. It's not that it's just not Halo, it's that it's so generic with it too. Halo is about the last game I would hope to see such gratuitous T&A in, too.

This is probably going to make me sound like a broken record again, but seriously, why MMORPG in the first place?

Halo is probably the BEST LICENCE EVER to convert into an MMOFPS. I struggle to find a more fitting setting for a spiritual sequel to Planetside.

I'd love to play a Halo game where you could actually explore one of the Halos; some kind of action/RPG hybrid, much like the original design for Halo, would be amazing. An MMORPG wouldn't really fit the Halo universe though.

Most MMO's rip off the WoW design in the early stages until they come up with a more stable build. Nothing wrong with it as WoW works.

Settle down there Captain Obvious ;) I meant more that it has little in common with TF2, like Sean was suggesting.

As for 'nothing wrong with it' - I find it creatively bankrupt for a heavyweight license like Halo, even though I think the art in those shots is of excellent, irrelevant quality. I'd expect something more, and something a bit more unique. I can totally see why this got canned. ^_^

Why?! Why did you have to go and mention Planetside? I thought that particular wound had scarred and hardened, but you've just ripped off a bloody scab and the pain of loss is pummelling me afresh. Oh, Planetside! :wub:

There's plenty of lovely Planetside reminiscing on Rock Paper Shotgun. :unsure:

Halo blatantly would fit an MMO, but only if they made it Planetside style, not PSO/WOW style. An MMO FPS where it was humans vs badguys, you could choose your side, fly from Halo to Halo having massive fuck off battles...it'd be awesome.

But I thought no-one enjoyed playing as the Arbiter? :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Well, it obviously won't because 1) It wasn't Bungie working on the Halo MMO, as is probably obvious by the fact it looked shit, and 2) Bungie don't own the IP to Halo, Microsoft do. If anyone ever publishes a Halo MMO, it will be MS, and not Activision.