IGNORED

Far Cry 2

Kinketsu

It seems to me that the people finding the game has too many encounters, or too much shooting people from the jeep, aren't using the map as well as they could do. Essentially, you'll only usually get groups of people at checkpoints, or at the sites which have their own mini-map. This applies 95% of the time. You will of course get the odd jeep patrol, but there really aren't that many.

By using the map very often, and planning your route carefully, most of your journeys can be almost surprise free. Whereas most shooters throw things at you and you have to deal with them as you go, Far Cry 2 makes you incredibly powerful by giving you this extra knowledge, to the extent that things, in time, can be predicted pretty accurately. This might sound a bit dull written down, but seeing a checkpoint, sniping the guy at the guard post, blowing up a jeep with a rocket, then mopping up with the sniper rifle and uzi taking no damage never got dull for me. I loved the carefully planned ten/twenty minute trips to my destinations more than the missions themselves.

There's something magnificent about reconning an enemy stronghold, identifying their ammo and fuel stores, then working out if you need any of it before getting all Predator on everyone. Or just slipping past undetected.

Edit- actually, I think what a lot of people need to realise to fully get into it is this isn't GTA. You don't have a free-roaming world you drive around relatively unhindered with pre-scripted bits. The world is the mission. It's an acquired taste, certainly.

Just to give you an example of the way Far Cry does things, imagine this scenario: You're standing on the back of a jeep manning a gun turret. Yeah Baby, take that! Oh, now you've been shot. With a gun. So you press the "heal" button, and the game makes you turn around, jump off the back of the truck, and inject yourself in the arm with a syringe. All better now. Best get back on the truck and shoot the baddies some more.

I totally agree with you regarding this, but it rarely happens to me. That's because I only ever use the jeep gun turret if it's located in a position that doesn't require me to swivel all over the place, and I don't even do that very often.

As for getting fed up of blasting through enemy checkpoints.....why are people still trying to do this? In fact, why bother using the jeep at all? It's much more interesting to walk, or use the boats. Yes, it takes longer to get anywhere, but you'd be surprised just how easy it is to sneak past checkpoints without being seen, even in the daylight. I've played around 50% of the game now, and I can count the number of armed confrontations that I have had with checkpoint guards on the fingers of one hand.

Sat down for a session on this last night for the first time since it got shelved after 2 hours for Fable 2/Fallout 3. It's actually bloody brilliant!

Again, checkpoints annoyed the hell out of me at first - but now I've gotten map-savvy they're really not an issue... using buses and going cross country in the jeep almost entirely negates 90% of the checkpoints. I can understand that newcomers will struggle to get into the zone with this, but if you're still moaning after the first few hours it's really just a case of using your head for something other than wall-banging.

Really enjoying the stealthy combat now I understand how the AI works a little better too - love the way you can fire a few shots from one location then swiftly move elsewhere to pick off your attackers as they stumble through bushes looking for you :lol:

I've only used the jeep cannon once to take out another one - my technique is always to jump out, slide into cover and take them out with what I've got to hand. It's always made easier of course by the fact that the enemies take ages getting out of their jeeps.

My current favourite way of dealing with jeep patrols approaching me on the road is to calmly step out as they hurtle towards me, equip my grenade launcher, say "WRONG" like Arnie and fire a grenade at the ground in front of the approaching vehicle. It nearly always results is a spectacular flaming cartwheel.

I forgot about one moment during last night's session where I was ripping along in a jeep and noticed there was a checkpoint up ahead. "Sod that" I thought and steered right off onto some grassland in order to take a shortcut. Bouncing and crashing along until I reached a flat area before I rejoined the road and noticed a strange grinding noise coming from the engine. Couldn't see any smoke so I got out to investigate. Imagine my surprise when I saw a guard and a zebra stuck to the front bumper.

I forgot about one moment during last night's session where I was ripping along in a jeep and noticed there was a checkpoint up ahead. "Sod that" I thought and steered right off onto some grassland in order to take a shortcut. Bouncing and crashing along until I reached a flat area before I rejoined the road and noticed a strange grinding noise coming from the engine. Couldn't see any smoke so I got out to investigate. Imagine my surprise when I saw a guard and a zebra stuck to the front bumper.

Excellent :wub:

:wub: Genius!

Is anyone else enjoying roadkill a little more than they probably should? :wub:

I make it a point of personal pride to never kill any wildlife, whether by shot or vehicle. They're the innocents in this crazy war, man.

Yeah, you're probably right... It doesn't help that I have a running joke with my housemate in which I let my vehicle head straight towards a collision with an animal for about 4 seconds before turning to him and shouting "THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO" repeatedly in an increasingly manic manner.

I love the way they've made damagable stuff damagable. The Wooden bridges at Certain checkpoints can be deadly if your try to escape chasing jeeps. More then once i've crashed through the bridges in a car chase only to have to fight the guys from the water, then try and steel the chasing jeep as mines on its roof.

To those who think they are struggling to progress it leaps very quickly from around 30% to 50% in the shift to the south. I'm loving the game a great deal more having put some time in - i'm just over 10 hours in and at 50%. I've stuck mostly to the main story and convoy missions. It's definitely worth sticking with as the weapon set opens up and you get more into a groove. Checkpoints are pretty amusing once you've got a decent arsenal to choose from. I quite like the dangerous travel setup in the game now so don't worry if the hostility seems plain mental at first.

So I'm really enjoying this at the moemnt. Taking my time, getting into each mission. I do have a question though. I don't seem to be getting any missions from one of the factions. Is this due to decisions I've made earlier on? Do faction mission permanently close up depending on they way you play and who you take missions for, and is there any way to reopen the missions?

I bought this yesterday from blockbuster (£24.99) and it would not load on my 360. It was recognising it as a DVD, so i went back down there and exchanged it and the same thing happened with the new copy.

Silly thing is, all other games work fine on my 360 (i also bought dead space and it fired up straight away)

Any advice on what is happening, or what i can do. I've spoke to blockbuster and they said it could be a dodgy batch, so i may nab a pre-owned one cos that should work hopefully.

I'm hoping it's not the start of the red ring of death, as my 360 has been in twice already!

I bought this yesterday from blockbuster (£24.99) and it would not load on my 360. It was recognising it as a DVD, so i went back down there and exchanged it and the same thing happened with the new copy.

Silly thing is, all other games work fine on my 360 (i also bought dead space and it fired up straight away)

Any advice on what is happening, or what i can do. I've spoke to blockbuster and they said it could be a dodgy batch, so i may nab a pre-owned one cos that should work hopefully.

I'm hoping it's not the start of the red ring of death, as my 360 has been in twice already!

It's £17.99 at Play (Amazon?), so try that.

Thats what i dont understand - all games work fine on my xbox apart from far cry. thats what made me think that there is a fault with the disc, rather than the actual xbox!

I would buy from Amazon, but i dont want it not to work and go round the rigmarole of having to send it back!

From firsthand experience, if your DVD drive is at all prone to stuttering / loading pauses / emitting grinding sounds in other games then Far Cry 2 can be very picky about showing up as a game rather than a DVD movie. I have the same problem that you mentioned in FC2 only and the sole workaround I've discovered is to keep ejecting and re-inserting the disc until it shows up properly and then install it to the hard drive, provided you have the room.

The NXE does a good job of helping remedy this early on: if the text on the drive icon reads "Play Far Cry 2" and shows the game art behind it then you're good to go, any other combination of art and text means it hasn't read the disc properly.

Our 360s are still on their way out though.

God damn! what a pain in the tits!

Right, ok - next question - its a bit of a long one though!

I have the new updated dashboard, even though i am not online (my mate brought his hard drive over and I managed to get the update that way) but i am not sure how to install the game to my hard drive.

Am i able to? - bear in mind, i cant even make my own avatar yet from not being able to go online.

Far Cry 2: PC 1.02 Patch

Just a heads up for the PC gamers out there.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1...75/m/8421020517

General

- Added triple-header support to the game.

- A widescreen option has been added and can be enabled in the display options menu.

- Fixed certain characters that weren't allowed during profile creation (- . _ ,)

Multiplayer

Game options

- In ranked matches, players can now play more than one match on the same host.

- Fixed the direct join by IP functionality.

- Players can now filter the server list using different parameters (ping, PunkBuster, game mode, dedicated, server name, number of players, ranked/unranked).

- It is now possible to conduct a multiplayer match search from the map leader board.

- Added the minimum number of players in the host options.

- Added the player's death count in the scoreboard.

- The host can now set the respawn time in advanced options, for player matches only.

- The host can now set the starting rank of all players in the match, in advanced options, for player matches only.

- The ping system has been improved to display a more accurate result.

- It is now possible to add a clan name to the player’s name through the use_clan_tag console command.

- Added quickmatch to the map download screen.

Gameplay

- The VIP is shown on the scoreboard, for your team only.

- The scoreboard is now displayed by the highest XP points to the lowest.

- The IEDs are now destructible by shooting on them or throwing a grenade close to them.

- The distance from a wounded teammate is now displayed.

God damn! what a pain in the tits!

Right, ok - next question - its a bit of a long one though!

I have the new updated dashboard, even though i am not online (my mate brought his hard drive over and I managed to get the update that way) but i am not sure how to install the game to my hard drive.

Am i able to? - bear in mind, i cant even make my own avatar yet from not being able to go online.

Put the game in the drive, assuming your 360 recognises it as a game, from the "My XBox" menu, press the Y button you should get an option to install to your hard drive.