IGNORED

The First Captain Janeway

Venice Cull

Well, I'd certainly never seen this before, so its just a head up for those who hadn't... but my word - Genevieve bujold is absolutely terrible - an astonishingly wooden actress and totally wrong for the part. She puts absolutely no effort in at all.

Just wait for the bit where she has a conversation with Tuvok - I couldn't have watched more than a single episode of that.

Official story has it she decided to leave, but I suspect she was thrown off the show after the producers saw the first dailies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3dGOFfI5Q

Mulgrew rocks.

christ thats poor, I mean acting on DS9 and voyager was never great but that was appalling

Really? I always thought the acting on DS9 was actually some of the best in the franchise. Obviously the writing helps but some of the performances are really good. Certainly not on Voyager's level where by the later seasons Harry and Chokotay are just sleep walking though every episode and Tuvok importance has been diminished to the point of insignificance. After season 4 it really did become the Janeway, Doctor and Seven show....

Well, I'd certainly never seen this before, so its just a head up for those who hadn't... but my word - Genevieve bujold is absolutely terrible - an astonishingly wooden actress and totally wrong for the part. She puts absolutely no effort in at all.

Just wait for the bit where she has a conversation with Tuvok - I couldn't have watch more than a single episode of that.

Official story has it she decided to leave, but I suspect she was thrown off the show after the producers saw the first dailies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3dGOFfI5Q

Mulgrew rocks.

My god she's poor, and she looks too old anyway.

I'm not a massive Voyager fan, but when Mulgrew-Janeway walked on-screen, you knew the motherfuckin' captain was up in this bitch. Bujold-Janeway completely lacked authority, she seemed to be skulking around her own bridge, hoping no-one spoke to her. She even seemed to be hiding from the camera.

Really? I always thought the acting on DS9 was actually some of the best in the franchise. Obviously the writing helps but some of the performances are really good. Certainly not on Voyager's level where by the later seasons Harry and Chokotay are just sleep walking though every episode and Tuvok importance has been diminished to the point of insignificance. After season 4 it really did become the Janeway, Doctor and Seven show....

ok maybe being a little harsh there, i saw a good few early episodes on tv and it was bad. The later episodes at least after season 4 it improved

Well, I'd certainly never seen this before, so its just a head up for those who hadn't... but my word - Genevieve bujold is absolutely terrible - an astonishingly wooden actress

She may well have been wrong for the part and her performance in the clip is bad but Bujold is normally a pretty good actress (as seen in Cronenburg's Dead Ringers).

Absolutely appalling - thank God they saw sense in time. No urgency or intensity whatsover - towards the end she says "Red Alert" and "Brace for impact" as if she's just waking up.

She'd probably be excellent in a Florence Nightingale role, but I don't think I'd have bothered watching Voyager after a few minutes had she been Janeway. She could have been Kes, I suppose, with her softly spoken voice, but she's about 30 years too old and not as pretty as Jennifer Lien anyway.

Says on wiki that Bujold requested that the captain's name be changed in Nicole Janeway. Even that sounds terrible, although I suppose I'm put off that name for ever by the hideous BB9 contestant.

Oh god. It hurts. It really really hurts.

Janeway could be a self righteous stuck up bitch - but the actress (Mulgrew?) blew it away.

And yes Doctor/Seven/Janeway became the focus, but then they could really act. Unlike "smell the fart" acting Harry.

I'd got back into Voyager again when they started it again on Bravo recently - except they've just stopped it at series 6 until next year which pissed me off.

Anyway, one of the last ones I saw was the one where The Doctor is helping Seven of Nine understanding 'dating', but falls in love with her (and is unable to tell her). There was a wonderful scene with them both singing 'You are my Sunshine'.

In lesser hands this episode could well have come off as hammy and crass, but the subtle performance of Ryan and Picardo elevate it to something quite touching.

Also, Tom Paris doesn't get enough love for my liking.

I'd put Tuvok up there with the Sevens and Doctors - the character and the actor are fantastic ("I cannot image that there are visible eminations which would allow you to interpret my mood")

Also, the 'shit' ones have also had their moments. Kes was a great actress when she was the leather clad 'evil' version, and Harry from the future was pretty badass - all bitter and full of rage.

Neelix though, there's no redemption for him. They totally put him in the background in later episodes though, so that's fair enough.

I'd put Tuvok up there with the Sevens and Doctors - the character and the actor are fantastic ("I cannot image that there are visible eminations which would allow you to interpret my mood")

Also, the 'shit' ones have also had their moments. Kes was a great actress when she was the leather clad 'evil' version, and Harry from the future was pretty badass - all bitter and full of rage.

Neelix though, there's no redemption for him. They totally put him in the background in later episodes though, so that's fair enough.

Agree on Tuvok, but I'm surprised you didn't take to Neelix, seeing as he's what made Tuvok so great. Their scenes together are fantastic.

Agree on Tuvok, but I'm surprised you didn't take to Neelix, seeing as he's what made Tuvok so great. Their scenes together are fantastic.

Well, there was the holodeck sequence where Tuvok kills Neelix (google it - its still amazing), but he was only doing what we all wanted to. But nah - couldn't stick the 'comedy alien' thing. He's the Jar Jar of Trek as far as I'm concerned.

The show also hinted at some friction between Tuvok and Chakotay which was never developed (Chakotay hated Tuvok, and Tuvok resented Chakotay for getting the Commander post above him despite years of loyal support for Janeway). Shame they never took the idea further as there was some real potential in that.

Seen those clips before and am surprised Genevieve Bujold even got a chance to make an episode she's that bad.

Never liked Voyager or especially that pile of shite Enterprise but Kate Mulgrew always had a great prescence and is a great actress. The character could be a really annoying, self righteous twat though, though she played it perfectly.

Also, the 'shit' ones have also had their moments. Kes was a great actress when she was the leather clad 'evil' version,

Is that the episode where the evil dictator possesses her to avoid death? If so, I agree, she was excellent.

I don't think she was a bad actress throughout - she was just unfortunate to have such a wishy-washy part with little urgency.

I'm not sure any of them were bad actors in thier own right (although Harry and Chokotay push this quite a lot) its that most of them were very bland and badly written. Voyager itself is a showcase of a great premise being pissed up the wall. What should have been the BSG of Trek became a jolly romp though the galaxy with lots of parties in the mess hall where only the senior staff were invited...