That looks great. Quite like the minimalist look as well.

I’ve not really played anything in quite a while, although I did try Graze Counter the other night. Unfortunately I played it far too late at night and I can only really remember that I liked it :lol:

Cheers. I've not been playing much myself since I broke my old 360 stick but really looking forward to getting stuck back in now. 

I'd still really recommend that Missile Dancer off the Japanese eShop. Really fun little game, just got a solid feel to it, nicely balanced difficulty. 

Thanks! It is, very good weight to it and I paid a few quid on top for an anti-slip mat. Also got the wiring harness from them and the USB port so very straightforward in the end. All plug and play, piece of piss. 

I bought some self adhesive velour/baize on ebay years ago for the bottom of a few second hand sticks that just had plain metal bottoms, or where some of the felty stuff had worn away. You just cut it to size, stick it on and it's great, plonk the stick on your lap and it ain't going nowhere.

On 12/07/2020 at 03:58, ImmaculateClump said:

I'm convinced that I can break 1,000,000

Ooh, it's coming! - 990,002

I wanna be an "A rank" daddy, but how? I cross all of my fingers and toes every time and she always gives me a B++.

I need to tighten up a couple of the harder sections towards the end, I think. That's what's letting me down.

edit: Come on!

r79NU8o.jpg

Loads of room for improvement still. 993,934 is my best score so far, reckon I can get an A+ at least and hit that 1,000,000.

Man, this is so much fun.

edit: Meeeow!

UOr44aw.jpg

If anyone is still after a good copy of Mushihimesama Futari then please check my trading thread, I listed it at £42 delivered because that's cheaper than any other I could find for sale. Weird to be selling my favourite shmup, but I just don't see myself setting up my 360 any time in the next five or six years at least, and by that time I'll obviously be a billionnaire so I'll just buy another copy then.

I've not posted here in years, but I've been lurking, and obviously especially loving Stanshall's Mushi adventures. Hope you're all doing well.

Jamestown or Raiden directors cut on my switch?

Both on sale but even so Raiden is still about half the cost of Jamestown, graphics on Raiden look a bit too too hi res, blurry and dare I say it boring?

I love shoot em ups but am not actually very good at them but do get the occasional itch that I try to scratch, last played Raiden properly on my jaguar decades back.

I’m not actually too keen on either game on PS4. I find the player movement in Jamestown slightly too slow for the wide play area. Essentially, it’s just not as good as the (Cave) games that it’s obviously influenced by. Looks pretty though. However, given the option, I’d play it over Raiden, which is exactly as dull as it looks, with the added bonus of unskippable and terrible dialogue. 

Someone really ought to take alistarr up on that offer. It's a real bargain - you won't find it that cheap anywhere, now - and it's not only one of Cave's strongest but one of the best shmups ever, IMO. (It's great for anyone who may have bounced off some of Cave's other scoring systems, too - Futari's is relatively simple, forgiving and compelling, and you won't have a hugely stunted experience if you choose to ignore it.)

Edit: ah that's beautiful, Stanshall! Really glad you've got a setup you're happy with. :D

2 hours ago, Jashin said:

I’m not actually too keen on either game on PS4. I find the player movement in Jamestown slightly too slow for the wide play area. Essentially, it’s just not as good as the (Cave) games that it’s obviously influenced by. Looks pretty though. However, given the option, I’d play it over Raiden, which is exactly as dull as it looks, with the added bonus of unskippable and terrible dialogue. 

Thanks for the advice, will perhaps stick with playing through the recently acquired konami arcade classics and also revisiting dragonblaze for now.

3 hours ago, Jashin said:

i never quite knew why I found Jamestown awkward but I think you're exactly right -- it's like they wanted to make a widescreen Cave shmup and they succeeded, only to demonstrate that you can get everything else right but the game style still actually works best with a narrow playing field.

The game is still interesting though, especially if it's cheap. The core mechanic of burning the shield to score makes it really fun for a mediocre player like me to try and high score the first level repeatedly. Similar to death smiles in some respects.

On 26/07/2020 at 20:25, Klatrymadon said:

Someone really ought to take alistarr up on that offer. It's a real bargain - you won't find it that cheap anywhere, now - and it's not only one of Cave's strongest but one of the best shmups ever, IMO. (It's great for anyone who may have bounced off some of Cave's other scoring systems, too - Futari's is relatively simple, forgiving and compelling, and you won't have a hugely stunted experience if you choose to ignore it.)

Edit: ah that's beautiful, Stanshall! Really glad you've got a setup you're happy with. :D

In the interests of avoiding multiple post office trips I can post this tomorrow if anyone wants it for £35. Sorry for spamming and I promise I won't do it again! (EDIT: now sold)

On 26/07/2020 at 20:25, Klatrymadon said:

Cheers! I ended up up making one last tweak with the LS-62-01 and the Kowal short throw mods you'd recommended elsewhere. Absolutely superb, so responsive and felt perfect straight away in this set-up. Right back into Futari again off the back of this, I feel much more consistent and clean. 

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/rs34-announces-shoot-em-up-illmatic-envelope-s

https://rs34.co.jp/product/illvelos/

RS34, the remains of developer Milestone who folded in 2013 (After the director was arrested for fraud) and were behind Radirgy, Karous – The Beast of Re: Eden, and Illmatic Envelope Dillinjah, has announced Illmatic Envelope S, a “down in the swamp shoot ’em up game” due out in 2020 in Japan.

No news on systems but their last project was on Switch and an update is due on the official website on August the 15th.

Put up a somewhat rare shmup for the AES in the trading folder in case anyone here might be interested. I'm a bit of a romanticist so prefer a player/ hardcore shmup fan getting it over a collector.  

Mods pls delete this post if found inappropriate or against the rules. 

I'm also totally buzzing to have beaten iconoclast's score

Haha! The student has become the master! Excellent work.

I imagine everyone already has these but there are a few shmups on sale on humble at the minute, steam keys included. More games there if you want to have a sniff around.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/eschatos
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/mushihimesama
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/deathsmiles
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dodonpachi-resurrection
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/crimzon-clover-world-ignition
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/jamestown-plus
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/assault-android-cactus (twin stick shooter)

6 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Haha! The student has become the master! Excellent work.

Yep. On one stage of one game by a margin of several hundred points, compared to an outdated video from years ago, of that there is no doubt. 

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

:DWho would you like to play you in the film?

Still think you're a bloody mad man. You gonna turn it down to maniac or plough on?

I look and sound like this if you squint, so hopefully he's available:

Spoiler

QD5Mw370kCCmfMbKD0ipCCETzmQ6SA0uPS4QZYMu

Defo going to press on with God Mode. I can pretty regularly NMNB the stages in training mode (except stage 3), because it's so generous with the cancels, but I'm totally hopeless at the midbosses and bosses. I don't have the micro dodging skills or any idea about routes or patterns. Even bombing my way through I run out of resources. I'm going to get stuck into learning the stage 2 boss, though. If I can consistently NMNB to stage 3 and fluke my way through that, I reckon I might have a chance. Stages 4 and 5 aren't actually that bad (again, disregarding the bosses). 

To be honest, Maniac isn't that different. Stages are OK but the bosses need properly learning. 

Playing the konami arcade classics pack on switch. Great fun but can't believe how hard the games were, the c lack of rapid autofire and the primary and secondary weapons being on separate buttons was crippling me till I worked out here were remapping and autofire options in the menu. Much more playable now.