rllmuk
Dr Seedyman

Shmups

Dandy, just so you're forewarned: you're gonna get raped by tax and handling charges if you've ordered from Renchi. You probably already know, but I thought it was worth posting.

Dandy, just so you're forewarned: you're gonna get raped by tax and handling charges if you've ordered from Renchi. You probably already know, but I thought it was worth posting.

It's being marked at 30% value, even at full value, reports from other suggest typical charges of £35-50, which has been deemed acceptable :wacko: I'd get raped from Play-Asia too

What's the deal with Gradius II peeps? I've just last week managed to one-credit Gradius (defenceless lame sitting duck end bosses FTW!) and thought I would move onto mastering Gradius II on the PSP collection.

It. Is. Hard. Fire dragons I can cope with, but the fast moving shadow aliens that burst from eggs in the second level, along with the bitch of an end boss that requires a full complement of options to kill, just make me quit in frustration. What happened to the first games perfect difficulty curve?

In fact that's something I have a beef with in general - the Gradius series' way of increasing the number of bullets/speed of the enemies only in accordance with how much you yourself have powered-up. I know it's a series staple, but it seems a cheap way to make things difficult, as well as making some stages (like say... level bloody 2) downright impossible to pass without getting shot to pieces.

Any advice or opinions?

It's the same with most hori shmups from that era - lose a life and you'll struggle like hell to get much further. Gradius II is the best horizontal shmup ever made IMO. It's harder than the original Gradius though, mainly because it's longer and there's more to learn. I don't particularly recommend the PSP version as it doesn't work well with the PSP d-pad (I have the Capcom topper and it's still rubbish) and there are some inadequacies in the conversion. The Gradius Deluxe Pack for the Saturn/PS1 is superior.

With regards to the stage 2 boss, you don't need a full compliment of weapons (you can do it easily with just 2 multiples and a speedup). Stay at the far left center of the screen and periodically move up/down slightly to shoot as many of the incoming debris as possible. For general tips, I'd never select more than 1 speedup (until you get to the fast maze level where you need at least 2). The best weapons setup is no.4 as the 2-way missiles are invaluable (as is the spread of the ripple laser). Level 3 used to always be the most difficult for me, as it can be unpredictable with the ice floating randomly everywhere. There's a really neat trick you can do with the end boss - after it has entered the screen, fly dead-center straight in front of the core (with all multiples trailing directly behind you), don't move, and keep firing. The slight up/down movement of the boss makes it look like it's going to kill you, but it doesn't and because you're right in front of the core, you don't need to avoid those awkward bullet patterns that are being sprayed around by those moving arms.

It's the same with most hori shmups from that era - lose a life and you'll struggle like hell to get much further. Gradius II is the best horizontal shmup ever made IMO. It's harder than the original Gradius though, mainly because it's longer and there's more to learn. I don't particularly recommend the PSP version as it doesn't work well with the PSP d-pad (I have the Capcom topper and it's still rubbish) and there are some inadequacies in the conversion. The Gradius Deluxe Pack for the Saturn/PS1 is superior.

With regards to the stage 2 boss, you don't need a full compliment of weapons (you can do it easily with just 2 multiples and a speedup). Stay at the far left center of the screen and periodically move up/down slightly to shoot as many of the incoming debris as possible. For general tips, I'd never select more than 1 speedup (until you get to the fast maze level where you need at least 2). The best weapons setup is no.4 as the 2-way missiles are invaluable (as is the spread of the ripple laser). Level 3 used to always be the most difficult for me, as it can be unpredictable with the ice floating randomly everywhere. There's a really neat trick you can do with the end boss - after it has entered the screen, fly dead-center straight in front of the core (with all multiples trailing directly behind you), don't move, and keep firing. The slight up/down movement of the boss makes it look like it's going to kill you, but it doesn't and because you're right in front of the core, you don't need to avoid those awkward bullet patterns that are being sprayed around by those moving arms.

Cheers. I've got a PSP-2000 and the D-pad doesn't seem to be too unreliable. Well, I can do diagonals at least. :)

But yeah, coming from one to the other it's a lot harder than Gradius. I agree that set-up 4 is the best and I've managed to get to level 3 a couple of times now but, as you say, the ice makes it just as bloody tricky as level 2. Genuinely curious - what makes this your favourite shmup?

Incidentally, why is a 'hori' shooter so named?

Genuinely curious - what makes this your favourite shmup?

First game I ever completed in the arcades (1CC). Amazing graphics (for the time), brilliant soundtrack, epic/tough challenge.

Incidentally, why is a 'hori' shooter so named?

Short for horizontal.

Just ordered a japanese 360 as I got tired of waiting for someone to get back to me and ignoring my pms. With luck I'll get a nice new jasper model, but I don't expect it. Play Asia were out of Arcades, so I bought a 60gb pack from Renchi (£20 cheaper then PA) - I can always sell the 60gb drive as I have a 120gb already. I have Raiden IV on the way from ebay for a decent price, just deciding what else to buy. DoDonPachi Dai-ou-jou is out on Dec 25th,

It probably won't be a jasper, they haven't made it here yet.

DDPDOJX has been strangely delayed, although promo copies have been sighted... weird.

Holy crapola, it only entered the country at 6am, and it was delivered 15minutes ago! So now I have a Asian 360 and Raiden IV hasn't turned up yet..... Still i got Ace Combat 6 and katamari bundled for free, so I'll survive a few more days. No jasper though, this was made in september!

Not on my PSP it isn't. And now Everyday shooter is out on there as well - i said it eons ago, gets some grips and it'll improve the PSP endlessly.

They cost nothing and are available all over Ebay if you can't find them in shops.

Top tip: Super Stardust Portable is designed to destroy human hands.

Not had a single problem. After releasing a face button, you continue to fire in that direction for a couple of seconds. So you can switch fire direction then back in an almost continuous stream without mangling your hands. You're doing it wrong :)

By the way, I mapped weapon switch to R in this one. Trying to cycle through weapons when the shit's flying* on the d-pad is nigh on impossible. To compensate, I stuck Bomb on d-pad down - a flick of the thumb to the 'D' when desperate is alright.

It's not a patch on the PSN version though - you can't see the curvature of the horizon, making it more a standard shooter than a spherical one. And let's face it, lining stuff up using a 'global' system is the game's USP. Decent enough time waster though.

* There's no actual poo-flinging in the game proper. For shame.

Wahey. 567th on the Raiden IV XBL world ranking scoreboard for Arcade Mode :(

edit: tried again right after and got an extra million, taking me to 486th :( Another million would see me jump to 405-415. This is all done via a seperate menu option so I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's the Arcade version*, on "original" mode with the default bomb and life settings (3 or each?). It's definately one credit only (Aracde mode is usually infinite credits, I think 360 mode is set to 3 credits)

*360 mode is different, but I'm not sure how

Holy crapola, it only entered the country at 6am, and it was delivered 15minutes ago! So now I have a Asian 360 and Raiden IV hasn't turned up yet..... Still i got Ace Combat 6 and katamari bundled for free, so I'll survive a few more days. No jasper though, this was made in september!

you got the same bundle as I did then! nice one. shame it comes with a D-connector instead of a component tho...

Nah, D-Terminal. japanese only connector

D4_terminal.jpg

Interesting thing about the bundled Katamari Gigue, is that it loads my english save. I believe the English code is the same as the Asian/Japanese code, so might display in japanese if the language settings of the console are set that way. The bundled copy certainly runs in english for me based on the console settings

Raiden IV arrived today and is the dogs bollocks! Good stuff, especially as it has a cd of the soundtrack

Some damn postie lost/stole my copy of Raiden IV.

Would have loved to see the wtf look on his face when he found it wouldn't boot on his 360. Gonna stop using Yes-Asia now. That's the 2nd parcel they lost, and the only tracked option they provide is DHL at $26 (who also amusingly neglected to put a card through my letterbox).

Not had a single problem. After releasing a face button, you continue to fire in that direction for a couple of seconds. So you can switch fire direction then back in an almost continuous stream without mangling your hands. You're doing it wrong :)

By the way, I mapped weapon switch to R in this one. Trying to cycle through weapons when the shit's flying* on the d-pad is nigh on impossible. To compensate, I stuck Bomb on d-pad down - a flick of the thumb to the 'D' when desperate is alright.

It's not a patch on the PSN version though - you can't see the curvature of the horizon, making it more a standard shooter than a spherical one. And let's face it, lining stuff up using a 'global' system is the game's USP. Decent enough time waster though.

* There's no actual poo-flinging in the game proper. For shame.

It's my left thumb that suffers actually, I get a massive cramp going after about 20 minutes. Impact mode is decent though eh?

While I'm here, would you guys reckon that DDP Dai-Ou-Jou Mega Black Label is worth getting if one already has it for the PS2? Internet ranking would be nice, but worth buying the game for again?

Of course, I could always sell my PS2 copy to finance the Xbox 360 version.

The jury is still out for the forthcoming 5pd Cave 360 titles. Their worth is going to depend on the accuracy of the conversions and the nature of the graphics (the inclusion of scanlines options and the ability to turn off any graphical filters). Arika's PS2 port is very highly regarded with regards to faithfulness to the PCB and it is also being displayed in true low-res with no filtering. I think the 360 releases are going to have downloadable replays too which will render the various replay DVDs obsolete. This should be mandatory on all 360 shmups really, it's such a cool feature.

The jury is still out for the forthcoming 5pd Cave 360 titles. Their worth is going to depend on the accuracy of the conversions and the nature of the graphics (the inclusion of scanlines options and the ability to turn off any graphical filters).

Yeah, I'd be trading a nigh on perfect port for an unknown quantity. Probably best if I wait for the reviews.

I think the 360 releases are going to have downloadable replays too which will render the various replay DVDs obsolete. This should be mandatory on all 360 shmups really, it's such a cool feature.

Raiden Fighters Aces has this too. I watched the number one player on the leaderboard, and my jaw dropped as they acquired my stage 3 high score before they even reached the 1st boss.

Lots of fun. :wub:

Interesting thing about the bundled Katamari Gigue, is that it loads my english save. I believe the English code is the same as the Asian/Japanese code, so might display in japanese if the language settings of the console are set that way. The bundled copy certainly runs in english for me based on the console settings

you are indeed correct, the game is basically an international ver. with all languages