rllmuk
Dr Seedyman

Shmups

ESP RaDe is absolutely incredible even if I have no idea how to properly type it. For a game in a genre I only get sucked into very irregularly to draw me in like this is very rare indeed, it’s 15 years ago and I’m playing Ikaruga (my first ever import game!) on the squarest console of all time once again. Magic. 

I’ve spent all week unable to crack 2m then my last go tonight I die early twice, engage The Force and go 2.85m instead. If I ever get round to properly understanding how the scoring actually works I might get serious with this.

• Upvote 3

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the main eShop thread, but if you're a bit amateur at bullet hells like me then I can really recommend Angerforce Reloaded on Switch at easing you into its systems.

Put it on last night to try it for 5 minutes and ended up on it for a few hours.

Cracking game that starts you off fairly simply, and is only £5.66 at the moment.

I used the big blue robot dude (Asimo?) the most. There's some roguelike elements too (you earn money to upgrade your ship/characters), and the whole setup really suits me as someone fairly new to these kinds of things. Not mad keen on the graphical style but it works well enough, and all the bullets are clear. I never blamed the game when I got hit.

There is a Tate mode I think - it's not in the options weirdly but when you pause the game there's a "rotate 90 degrees" option???? Will try it with my Flipgrip at some point.

Fab game, would recomend if you're fairly new to these things. Looks to be on Steam too.

• Upvote 2

I was up far too late last night watching replays on Battle Garegga, with the top one in Premium mode not only can I not understand how they're avoiding those bullets but the strategy seems to make no sense in places. I know you can die on purpose to bring down the difficulty rank but some of the other moves like leaving an enemy alive for a specific amount of time are way beyond any level I'm playing at. I've a screen that fully rotates in the boot of my car for an install job in work, I might "test" one of them out again so I can play all the games in tate mode. I'm still considering just laying the 37" screen I have in the spare room up on it's end against the wall permanently even though it'd look a bit silly and would be the 4th screen in my gaming room.

This article is really interesting too, a bit out of date since M2 have obviously overcome some of the problems with the Switch but I wonder if Armed Police Batrider might also be coming to the PS4 since they already had it working albeit not at full speed (that's one game that I'm slowly getting better with after playing a lot of Garegga, Ibara can fuck right off though!)  With Windows 7 mostly out of the picture now I hope we might finally see some Steam releases as well, keeping the STG ports import only and locked to certain platforms can't be doing their sales figures any favours and they deserve so much success.   https://www.siliconera.com/m2-discusses-most-highly-requested-ports-why-they-havent-released-on-steam-and-more/

• Upvote 2

Shame there can't be cross-platform leaderboards although I'd be really surprised if M2 hadn't looked into it. I love the replay feature, alongside the "save state" type thing it's really useful for seeing where you're going wrong and trying to nail it down. Being able to watch the highest scores is excellent too, I mean watching them on YouTube is cool but seeing it on your own game with the button inputs etc. is just better.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, spatular said:

^ yeah garegga is crazy, loads of odd stuff going on, don't shoot, don't collect powerups, bomb the flemingos etc. not sure all the same stuff applies to the arrange mode (was that the premium one?) - that's the mode i spent most time playing on the ps4, it's fun as it's easier than the arcade mode iirc, but the problem is, for me anyway i could only activate the special scoring mode maybe 1 in 10 tries of the first level which could get annoying.

been playing loads of esp ra.de. all week, been getting to the last boss quite often, and usually do better at the weekends because sleep, so thought i'd give it a really good go to try and get the clear....been doing pretty badly most of the day, dying on stage 1 and 2 loads, but then did it! :D had 5 lives on stage 5, and 4 at the last boss so just bombed the crap out of the later phases. got really lucky at one point i pressed the bomb button and careered through loads of bullets without having any bomb left, but survived! and i think the replay is saved online if anyone wants to watch it, on ps4 though.

BEF5E41A-CEF3-4DA7-82FC-5459C716D1EC.jpeg

My hat is off (actually true). I think the stage 3 boss is my PB at the moment and having completed it on Super Easy earlier to unlock the new character I don't see a 1CC in my future for a while. Still loving it though.

I'd been so into regular Arcade mode this week I hadn't checked out the Arcade Challenges or Osirai modes until earlier on. M2 are lords.

• Upvote 1

I used to be able to get to stage 5 on one credit. I'm not very good at it anymore. 

ESP RADE I mean. 

Who is everyone's favourite? I struggle to get 16x with the guy. 

• Upvote 1

I've got some Esp.Ra.De questions if anyone could answer them:

What is my hitbox? Is it my head? Is there a way to make it appear otherwise?

In Mushi I'll often hold down the other shot button to slow down (and show hitbox) is there a similar mechanic here (can't really tell if I slow down ever).

What is the second 'power' shot for? How should I be using it? Hold it down all the time?

The shield thing. I've figured out I can hold it down to absorb bullets so I suppose it's a bit like a bomb but should I be using it in a certain way? I seemed to only have one, where do I look to see how many/if I have this?

A rough guide to how I'm meant to be playing with regard to scoring would be nice I suppose but as I'm sure you can tell, I need to get my head around the basics first.

Thanks.

Is there a best/easiest character or option? Eg, strong style was my fave in DoDonPachi (autobomb ftw) and I liked blue shot in Mushi.

It seemed the characters first levels were different to, any other big differences?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I've got some Esp.Ra.De questions if anyone could answer them:

What is my hitbox? Is it my head? Is there a way to make it appear otherwise?

In Mushi I'll often hold down the other shot button to slow down (and show hitbox) is there a similar mechanic here (can't really tell if I slow down ever).

What is the second 'power' shot for? How should I be using it? Hold it down all the time?

The shield thing. I've figured out I can hold it down to absorb bullets so I suppose it's a bit like a bomb but should I be using it in a certain way? I seemed to only have one, where do I look to see how many/if I have this?

A rough guide to how I'm meant to be playing with regard to scoring would be nice I suppose but as I'm sure you can tell, I need to get my head around the basics first.

Thanks.

Is there a best/easiest character or option? Eg, strong style was my fave in DoDonPachi (autobomb ftw) and I liked blue shot in Mushi.

It seemed the characters first levels were different to, any other big differences?

I found I did best with Iori initially. The little girl with the green main shot.

I explained the scoring mechanic a little here:

• Upvote 1

Re hitbox, it's roughly in the middle of the character. This M2 version of the game has an option to make the hitbox permanently visible - go to options and near the bottom of the list is a setting with, among others, the word "player" in katakana (プレイヤー). Turn that one on.

Re slowing down when you hold down the button, yes that's in there.

Shield thing. As a general rule, only use it when you have to. The replays of others' highscores that you can download from the game, offer more nuance regarding usage.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, anything I should be doing with the power shot or is it a hold to slow down thing like Mushi?

• Upvote 1

You use it to get your points multiplier up. Horribleman's above reply and link covers this more.

• Upvote 1

Okay thanks. I had a look but assumed I was misunderstanding as my guy’s power shot thing seemed slow and weird on its own. 

Got enough to fuck around in my own with now though. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

yeah its just hold down the normal shot button to slow down your character but you don't slow down much.

20 minutes ago, Pockets said:

yeah as above the shield is basically a bomb, if you hold it down/absorb bullets it builds up power, when it flashes i think that's max power? there's a meter at the bottom that drains when you use it. you can refill it by collecting the round-ish green pickups - you only get these when you don't have max shield and you've built up the orange square pickups to the current max value (top left) - which increases as you do this 200 -> 300 -> etc.

the first 3 levels have 3 difficulty levels each and can be played as levels 1/2/3, the character you pick decides the first level, the next 2 levels are the other 2 in random order - think this port lets you pick the order in some modes.

also not sure you can enable the hitbox in all modes? i thought it was around the neck but keep dying by moving across bullets i think i'm already past, so it's a bit lower than the neck, also apparently it moves around oddly with the sprite when you go left/right

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

Cheers, anything I should be doing with the power shot or is it a hold to slow down thing like Mushi?

I'd double check your controls, as well. 

I have two 'Shot' settings. I have Shot with auto fire on one button, and Shot without auto on another. That will give you your slower movement. Then I have special weapon on a third button and whatever the shield is on the fourth. It's a bit awkward on an arcade stick to me but on a Pro Controller, I go for ZR for auto fire Shot and ZL for shield. Y for special and B for non auto Shot. 

• Upvote 1

^ yeah that's a good point, how to enable autofire is a bit confusing too, you have to set another button up as shot then press square (on ps4 iirc? not sure what it is on switch) - in the control options.

Fuck. Okay, will look into that. Assumed I must be missing something there. Trying to set this up in Japanese with m30 pad with MD buttons is quite the headfuck. 

• Upvote 1

The hitbox in ESP Ra.De. is a bit odd, it's more like it's in the character's neck than their actual head. That's one thing that can really wind me up in any game, if there isn't either a visible hitbox or a point on the sprite that stands out I can end up really frustrated. If you have an Android phone then using Google Translate is handy for the menus, you can hold the camera up to screen and it'll do it in real-time which is pretty cool. There's also a translation here https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65731

Is there any benefit/reason for one auto fire rate over another? Should I set it to 30 or 12 or what?

I've got it sort of set up now with my auto and slow down focus fire on their respective buttons but I don’t notice as much difference in this as with Mushi. 

I also feel like there almost an inertia type thing when moving side to side but could be in my head. Might just be how the sprite spins. 

@Pockets

Just experiment a bit with the fire rate. I think I have it on 15 but I don't have any particular reason. 

You also can turn on the hitbox in the menu, as well, but it disqualifies you from uploading your score. 

It's probably the only thing that bugs me about the game. The animation when you move does screw your hitbox perception. 

I put 15 hours or so into ESP DaRe last week before trying out the second character and it's like a different game, especially with regard to the scoring as I'm way more consistent with her powere shot. Still a hard one I'm shite at but different. Her first stage seems way harder than the guy's.

Top tip that’s probably obvious to most but that I only just realised - 

Oled owners - turn any wallpapers off and play in the dark and the oled blacks make it look like you’ve gone tate. 

176A0052-81D9-4F69-8A21-98309F46E8CA.thumb.jpeg.8f73dec27b153ecfd2e6efa550a779eb.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Been off work today feeling gruesome but managed an unexpected 1CC on Battle Garegga Premium Mode. It's easier than Arcade Mode because the stages have fixed rank so you don't have to think too hard about managing it but it ramps up hard enough for me, anyway. I've only got to Stage 7 once before so I was happy to get over the line on my last life with no bombs. That last boss is bonkers. 

• Upvote 4

Garegga Premium Mode is awesome. The last boss can wipe you out quickly if you’re not careful, nice job with that! I think I've only 1CCd that a couple of times myself.

Music for the day btw - I got the Mushi Double Arrange CD recently and this track in particular blew my socks off. A dream I have is that this music covers what would be perfectly timed transitioning between all of mode select, character select and stage 1, for Mushihimesama 3. Part of me thinks Umemoto made this track for that potential purpose (which probably won’t happen now boo).

• Upvote 1