IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

2 hours ago, geldra said:

When is Devil Engine due for release? Watched a few vids yesterday and I like the look of it. 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/891790/discussions/0/2521353993653501584/

It ended up getting pushed back to be a similtanious launch with the console versions, both due to a request from Dangen and my computer eating failing on me what would've been a week before launch.

It's done now, and we're waiting on Nintendo before we can settle in a release date for sure, but my best guess is around Valentine's day.

I've only played it for 8 hours according to steam, so it mustn't have grabbed me as hard as some other games but I remember enjoying Angerforce: reloaded. Coming soon to switch.

Another vote for dragon blaze, in the meantime, it's hard as nails but I really like that one.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:24, Stanshall said:

Rival Megagun is completely dead on the Switch, not managed to get one game online, so all vs CPU. I gave it another half hour today and I did quite enjoy it but it definitely needs a human opponent, I reckon. I applaud their optimism and the work they've put in to create the online component but it's unthinkable that it could sustain a playerbase.

This is a shame.  Checked the trailer out and it looks pretty cool.  Can you play online versus friends or just randoms?

This is the kind of game where you'd think cross plat would be beneficial to keep the "rival" count up.

3 hours ago, geldra said:

This is a shame.  Checked the trailer out and it looks pretty cool.  Can you play online versus friends or just randoms?

This is the kind of game where you'd think cross plat would be beneficial to keep the "rival" count up.

I can't remember to be honest. I suspect you can play online with friends but it's gone onto my completed list and I'm unlikely to pick it back up unless I hear it gets a free cross-plat update or something. That's a good idea.

And Angerforce looks great. Very Psikyo, but with a more interesting and contemporary art style. I'll be getting that. 

Yeah it should run fine, and doesn't seem to be hardware intensive at all (and shouldn't be, being based on an ol' Taito G-NET game). Can confirm there's a roll button, BTW. I've only spent 5 minutes on it but I've been really impressed with how beautiful it looks, and how customisable it is, both in terms of the combinations of ships and modes available and the amount of display and control options there are (including, crucially for me, xinput/direct input support). It's a really solid port/update that's received a lot of care - no DotEmu shite here! 

This is scary!

11 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Can confirm there's a roll button

I'm using that as a focus button, is that right? i don't want to be getting into any bad habits. I've no fucking idea what's going on.

Was it stanshall that said he wanted to change his name to "max buzz chain" by deed poll? :lol: He's funny!

Yeah that's the way to use it, really! Obviously rolling by waggling left and right doesn't give you the same advantage and makes things a lot trickier, so some purists will insist on ignoring the dedicated roll button, but I really like how it changes the flow of things - it only diminishes the challenge if you're a very high-level player, which I'm not! :p

Congratulations, gentlemen. The GOTY 2018 is finally here.

@Sane It is due to come to the Western eShop but they've pushed it back several times since about October of last year, crap communication, as well. The official website still says 2018 for US/EU release!

Sod that, just switch your account, get some credit off playasia, get it off the Japanese eShop, switch back to the UK. 

Or Steam.

Or both.

LEVEL UPPPP!!!!! 

I'd played Psyvariar on an emulator and thought it was decent but didn't really see why it was so highly rated. After buying it on Steam and looking up how the buzz mechanic really works it feels like its finally clicked. Dodging amongst bullet patterns in something like DoDonPachi is cool, but actually waiting for enemies to attack before opening fire while heading directly into the most dense attacks is a great mechanic. I think I'm gonna have to use the roll button though, tapping left and right is getting me killed more than anything. Shame you can't actually see the hitbox, having the buzz area highlighted doesn't seem very useful at all.

I don't feel there's any shame whatsoever in using the roll button but then I never played it in the waggle days. I will still waggle a little bit and roll depending on what I'm buzzing. Also, just for fun, I like to kid myself I can eke out a bit more buzz by rolling and waggling. I do actually think there's something to that, in fact. If you are stationary rolling the same bullet, it stops ticking over but if you waggle too, it seems to squeeze out a bit more buzz. I might be talking shit. 

My MAX BUZZ COMBO on Earth (Level 1) is still 1105. I'm working on some extra things I saw a nutter do on STG Weekly. Amazing game and I find the high level play stuff absolutely astonishing, even more so than with stuff like Mushi or DDP, because it just looks so dangerous and reckless. So exciting, though.

I mean, I'm delighted that I'm within like 70 BUZZ of this guy on stage one but it's when you get a couple more stages in and he's absolutely rinsing every enemy and every bullet and it's like a totally different plane beyond my imagination. Every bullet pattern and splatter is an opportunity. Probably my favourite STG Weekly replay apart from Gus's Futari run. 

It's really grabbed me now, it's like it has the perfect balance between being accessible while still allowing for totally insane play like that. For the most part I never really bother with the actual score in shooters, I just want to survive as long as possible but the buzzing along with the level up system in this makes it feel much more rewarding and I'm not totally sure why. I've played things like Graze Counter which is good but Psyvariar just gets it absolutely bang on. The short period of invincibility on each level up really is a stroke of genius. Really the only complaint I can think of is the lack of a hitbox marker but that's becoming less of an issue as I begin to recognise more enemies and know their shot patterns so I can plan how to buzz them without taking too big a risk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2019 at 22:24, Stanshall said:

Congratulations, gentlemen. The GOTY 2018 is finally here.

@Sane It is due to come to the Western eShop but they've pushed it back several times since about October of last year, crap communication, as well. The official website still says 2018 for US/EU release!

Sod that, just switch your account, get some credit off playasia, get it off the Japanese eShop, switch back to the UK. 

Or Steam.

Or both.

LEVEL UPPPP!!!!! 

Noticed it's 25% off, so I went for it! Took a while to set everything up but it's downloading now. Can't wait! Also ordered a Flip Grip because, well, I have to to get the most out of it right? Also bought Gunbird 2 and Dragon Blaze :D

I've just recently completed Super Hydorah and I'd say that after a really tough start, it becomes pretty accessible. The different loadouts and powerups and secondary attacks and the like really alter your strategy for different stages. It looks and sounds excellent, very authentic non-native English and perfectly dodgy voice work. It can get busy with bullets and projectiles and enemies but it's very clear and has a consistency to the designs which nevertheless goes to some different places. There's also a bunch of secrets and stuff if you're so inclined (or good enough - I'm not).

It's very much in the Gradius kind of vein, side scroller, environmental hazards, surface to air type enemies and generously balanced powerups. It's a good un. Not my usual preference in the genre but it's a very well made game. 

8 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I've just recently completed Super Hydorah and I'd say that after a really tough start, it becomes pretty accessible. The different loadouts and powerups and secondary attacks and the like really alter your strategy for different stages. It looks and sounds excellent, very authentic non-native English and perfectly dodgy voice work. It can get busy with bullets and projectiles and enemies but it's very clear and has a consistency to the designs which nevertheless goes to some different places. There's also a bunch of secrets and stuff if you're so inclined (or good enough - I'm not).

It's very much in the Gradius kind of vein, side scroller, environmental hazards, surface to air type enemies and generously balanced powerups. It's a good un. Not my usual preference in the genre but it's a very well made game. 

I'm loving this so much. 

Got my flip grip today! Playing psyvariar with it is so much better. I'm pretty useless at it but it just feels so nice buzzing the bullets, hearing 'Level up!' constantly :wub:

Any tips for scoring? And which mode should I focus on?