rllmuk
Dr Seedyman

Shmups

It took me ages to get the hang of it but when it clicks it's very satisfying. A well-timed burst and then swiping the screen clear to a host of shining, golden x16s is a sight to behold. Progear's screen-filling rain of diamonds is close but there's something do-able about Esp.Ra.De. I know I can get through it with just a bit more practice. I never do because I'm shit at it, but that's not the point. It doesn't feel impossible.

Lovely game.

esprade doesnt really get hard until stage 4.. I`ve been hitting it a few times at the local gamecentre, I`m just biding my time so I can get an even start with the locals on dodonpachi daifukkatsu when it appears.

I've just updated mame so that it plays a few more things than it did before, and I can now play progear! It's fantastic, and I love the art style

Can anyone explain the scoring mechanic for me though? It seems to be that if you kill something when it's firing you get a shower of tokens, which you attract when you let go of the fire button? I seem to get more stuff drop when I use the main gun, but looking at a video, the guy who made it uses the multi direction button to get his drops.

Any bullets caught in any explosions turn into gems so you have to wait until theres lots of bullets and then destroy whatever AI you can to turn the glob feast into gems. Theres also rocks but i've forgotten how they work.

Ones a multiplier of the other. Or something. I say rocks, but i actually mean jewels. And gems.

Progear features a system called Jeweling, which turns enemy bullets into Rings and Stones. This system is essential for scoring, and it also helps in avoiding large bullet patterns by transforming the bullets into these items. When in Shooting mode, you can transform bullets that are within a certain distance of the enemy craft into Rings. You can then "vacuum" the Rings by holding fire, or you can collect them manually [which does not work too well 95% of the time.] There are different levels of Rings, some being larger and worth more points than others. By increasing your Jewel level as you collect more rings, your Stone level likewise increases. Therefore, if you switch to Gunner mode when your Ring level is maxed out, you can collect Stones by transforming the bullets as enemies release them. Each Ring has an equivalent Stone level, but the Stones are always worth more points. This may sound confusing, but it becomes second nature with some practice. It is not a very straightforward scoring system, and it does encourage players to wait for large groups of bullets before they kill off enemies in Shooting or Gunner mode.

[There is also a difficult technique which involves a "constant vacuum." It is very abstract and difficult to perform with consistency. If your Ring level is maxed out and you switch to Gunner mode to inflict damage on enemies without actually killing them, they will continue shooting bullets that are immediately transformed into Stones that vacuum directly to your ship. If you hit fire while the Stones vacuum to your ship, the process will end and they will continue firing bullets.] Confusing, yes.

In addition, your Jewel count drops every time you either die or use a bomb. Similarly, at the end of each level, you are awarded a bonus depending on your Jewel count.

In case anyone watching didn't notice i actually meant "stones", as you can tell.

I must admit this scoring system pals into insignificance compared to Hellsinker.

How people manage to play 2D shooters with arcade sticks is one of the great mysteries of life to me. I've never been able to get an acceptable response from one, tried the official DC one and a Namco stick for PS2 shooters.

Psyvariar is my favourite 'schmup', I played it obsessively for about 2 years after release.

To be honest the PS1 and (under emulation PSP) has the majority.

The Ps2 doesn't have a great deal -

Cho Aniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu 2003, Horizontal (Psikyo)

Dodonpachi Dai-Oujou Atlus/Cave 2003, Vertical (Port of the Cave arcade game)

Dragon Blaze Sold as a package with Dragon Blaze in the US, elsewhere singly.

Gigawing generations

Gradius 3 and 4 Konami Double packed enhanced versions of the two arcade games. Gradius 4 is finally in the UK!

Gradius V Konami

Gunbird I&II

Hudson Selection Vol. 2: Star Soldier Hudson Soft 2003, Vertical

Psyvarier Complete Edition Success 2002, Vertical (Contains Psyvarier Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision)

Psyvariar II Success

R-Type Final Irem 2003, Horizontal

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone 3D-Ages (Sega)

Shienryu Explosion Warashi 2003 - Nice double pack containing a new Shienryu and the original

Shikigami No Shiro (aka Mobile Light Force 2/USA) Vertical (Alfa System)

Shikigami No Shiro II (cube review) 2003, Vertical (Alfa System)

Silpheed: The Lost Planet Treasure/Working Designs

Simple 2000 Series Vol. 37: The Shooting D3 Publisher 2003, Vertical (Contains Shienryu and Shienryu Explosion, the second of which shows its DC roots in a rather telling fashion)

Sol divide Sold as a package with Dragon Blaze in the US, elsewhere singly.

Space Raiders Taito 2002, Vertical (Variation on Space Invaders)

Strikers 1945 I&II

SuperLite 2000 Vol. 8: Psyvarier Medium Unit Success 2003, Vertical

SuperLite 2000 Vol. 10: Psyvarier Revision Success 2003, Vertical

XII Stag Taito 2003, Vertical

ESP Galuda (Cave)

Mushimishama (Cave)

Ibara (Cave).

Sega 25 - Treasure collection (Alien Soldier, etc).

Sega ?? - Galaxy Force 2

I'm currently in the process of compiling a PSX/PSP mem stick shump collection but it'll probably require a 16 or 32 GB mem stick as many games don't play ripped

It SHOULD include....

G-Darius - Taito *

Darius Gaiden - Taito*

Harmful Park * - Think ~System

Einhander * - Square

Internal Section * - Square

Zanac X Zanac * - Compile

Raiden DX * - Seibu

Raiden Project * - Seibu

Soukyugurentai * - Raizing

Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol. 1 (Kyuukoku Tiger, Tiger-Heli, and Twin Cobra)

Gradius Gaiden *

Ordyne (Namco Musem Vol. 4) *

R-Types * - Irem

R-Type Delta * - Irem

Cotton - Sunsoft

Cotton 100% * - Sunsoft

Night Raid - Capcom

Nichibitsu Arcade Classics

Philosama - Sony

X2 - Team 17

Dragon Spirit (Namco Musuem Encore)

Dragon Sabre (Namco Arcade Vol 5)

Assualt * (Namco Arcade Vol 4)

1942, 1943, 1943 Kai (Capcom Generations Vol 1 - Wings of Destiny i think it was called)

Strikers 1942 2 * - Psykio

In the Hunt * - Irem

DonPachi * - Cave

DoDonPachi * - Cave

Sonic Wings Special * - Video Game System

Raystorm * - Taito

Ray Crisis * - Taito

Shienryu * - Warashi

Gunbird * - Psikyo

Gradius, Salamander, Parodius and Twinbee (Komani Deluxe Pack) *

Thunderforce V *

Chatting Parodius (also on Parodius collection PSP) *

Sexy Parodius (also on Parodius collection PSP) *

Image Fight/X-Multiply * - Irem

Two-Ten Kaku - Santos *

Stahlfeder - Santos

Choaniki: Kyukyoku Muteki Ginga Saikyo Otoko - Maysaya

Gunners Heaven * - Media Vision

PD Ultraman Invaders - Bandai

SD Gundam Over Galaxian - Bandai

Wolf Fang - ? Media Vision i think

Bokanto Ippatsu! Doronbo: Time Bokan Shirizu - ?

Kyuin (Vaccume Kids) - Media Entertainment

Sol Divide - Psikyo

Gaia Seed - Techno Soleil *

70’s Robot Anime Geppy-X - Aroma (i think) - note 4CD!!! *

Macross Plus: Game Edition - Bandai? *

Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Bandai *

Gamera 2000 - Virgin Interactive Media Japan

(These all work on the PSP as Myself, Stuart Campbell and a host of others tried them out).

Neo Geo

Last Resort

Ghost Pilots

Alpha Mission 2 *

Prehistoric Isle 2

Blazing Star *

Pulstar *

Zed Blade/Op. Ragnaork

Andro Dunos

Obviously theres the CPS1 an 2 systems, SNES and MD to hunt for as well(!)

* = a game i particularly like.

How people manage to play 2D shooters with arcade sticks is one of the great mysteries of life to me. I've never been able to get an acceptable response from one, tried the official DC one and a Namco stick for PS2 shooters

I generally play my hori´s with a pad and verts with a stick.

The first Psyvariar is not an arcade game and i play much better with a pad.

Currently blasting my way through the penultimate level in Gradius Galaxies, awesome game (music is starting to annoy though).

How people manage to play 2D shooters with arcade sticks is one of the great mysteries of life to me. I've never been able to get an acceptable response from one, tried the official DC one and a Namco stick for PS2 shooters.

Psyvariar is my favourite 'schmup', I played it obsessively for about 2 years after release.

Back in the day my Jap DC stick was perfect. I had my fingers balanced on top, as though I was rolling a pea between my finger and thumb. I barely needed to think about a direction and it would respond.

Never found one like it since. Plus I read they changed components at some point during it's life.

What about a stick with proper Sanwa or Seimitsu components?

If I could (be bothered/be allowed by the gf) I'd have different sticks, one for fighters and one for shooters - and if we're being really pedantic, one for streetfighter type games with a round/octagonal gate and one for VF with a Sqaure gate (as I have now).

:)

Afterbirth - I'm so taking them off you on some DVDs... 0_0

What about the Psikyo Shooting Collections on the PS2? Or are all the games there inclusive of them?

Oh and Steel Dragons EX and Tengai - wait that's Sengoku Blade right, and Samurai Aces is Sengoku Ace yeah? I get confused. :)

And isn't Ray Storm on Taito Legends 2 along with G Darius, or were you specifically not including retro collections?

And what's this about Ibara Black coming out on 360?

In fact, what about the 360 in Japan, I believe there are a couple of shooters out there that aren't here and aren't region free :P

Steel Dragons EX
is the UK name for Warashi's Shienryu and Shienryu remake.

Personally i really liked it on mame although it wasn't emued properly. It doesn't have any real hook but it plays like a slower version of Raiden with nice explosions.

And yeah, i'd forgot about the Taito collections. I've got the Jap ones.

I'm sure theres another shooter missing from the PS2 - shump wise i think it loses Rayforce and Gains G-Darius on Pal.

Thanks for explaining progear, it seems like a case of learning when to shoot the trash in front of the big firing bosses. Level 2 has great chaining all the way through, but I really need to practice, I still suck.

Now that I've got a pal ps3 I'm going to pick up the prolific cheap shooters on the barely used Hori Fighting stick 3 I have. Gamewise I've currently got Psyvariar, Shiki II, 1945 I+II and Gunbird I+II.

To be honest the PS1 and (under emulation PSP) has the majority.

The Ps2 doesn't have a great deal -

Cho Aniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu 2003, Horizontal (Psikyo)

Dodonpachi Dai-Oujou Atlus/Cave 2003, Vertical (Port of the Cave arcade game)

Dragon Blaze Sold as a package with Dragon Blaze in the US, elsewhere singly.

Gigawing generations

Gradius 3 and 4 Konami Double packed enhanced versions of the two arcade games. Gradius 4 is finally in the UK!

Gradius V Konami

Gunbird I&II

Hudson Selection Vol. 2: Star Soldier Hudson Soft 2003, Vertical

Psyvarier Complete Edition Success 2002, Vertical (Contains Psyvarier Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision)

Psyvariar II Success

R-Type Final Irem 2003, Horizontal

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone 3D-Ages (Sega)

Shienryu Explosion Warashi 2003 - Nice double pack containing a new Shienryu and the original

Shikigami No Shiro (aka Mobile Light Force 2/USA) Vertical (Alfa System)

Shikigami No Shiro II (cube review) 2003, Vertical (Alfa System)

Silpheed: The Lost Planet Treasure/Working Designs

Simple 2000 Series Vol. 37: The Shooting D3 Publisher 2003, Vertical (Contains Shienryu and Shienryu Explosion, the second of which shows its DC roots in a rather telling fashion)

Sol divide Sold as a package with Dragon Blaze in the US, elsewhere singly.

Space Raiders Taito 2002, Vertical (Variation on Space Invaders)

Strikers 1945 I&II

SuperLite 2000 Vol. 8: Psyvarier Medium Unit Success 2003, Vertical

SuperLite 2000 Vol. 10: Psyvarier Revision Success 2003, Vertical

XII Stag Taito 2003, Vertical

ESP Galuda (Cave)

Mushimishama (Cave)

Ibara (Cave).

Sega 25 - Treasure collection (Alien Soldier, etc).

Sega ?? - Galaxy Force 2

You can also add:-

Sega Ages 2500 Space Harrier

Sengoku Ace

Raiden 3

Twinkle Star Sprites La Petit Princesse

I can add a list of shmup's from various collections if anyone is interested?

so with my gaming time now looking for short bursts of fun rather then hours and hours on the same games I've looked towards playing some shooters again. So I got round to copying some pc engine roms over to my wii and sat down, controller in hand

Raiden - For some reason this didn't click at all, which is odd as I played through the snes port last year...

Salamander - Gah. I hate being dumped back 6 screens when I die (its why I've never gotten into Gradius. Early Parodius has the same issue, later ones dont). I'll go back to it when I have more patience

Soldier Blade - I don't know if it's the game, the emulator or the screen, but the scrolling on this puts me right off, the bullets are hard to seperate from the starfield and enemies are hard to make out from the structures in the background. Maybe I'm too tired or something, but I'm struggling to play this

Super Star Soldier - Got to the end boss, died and got sent back to the start of the level. Twice. Fuck that.

1943 kai - Much Better. Everything is clearly visible , and it doesn't punish me for losing a life.

Shooters are a perfect example of why chip music will always rock - they all sound great!

Thanks for bumping my thread, I have had some time off from shooters recently. Been getting my adventure on in stuff like Unchartered. Been playing the Parodious collection on my PSP, rekindled my love. I just wish someone would make use of some of this next gen hardware and make something mindblowing!

That reminds me. I was under the impression that Twinbee/Parodius had been released in the uk, but a search on game and play revealed nothing. Have these seriously not been released over here? I ask because I can't find Raiden III and some fucks are asking £45 on ebay and play (playtrade) for a pal copy