rllmuk
Dr Seedyman

Shmups

Just now, Stanshall said:

I am humbled. I absolutely love this game but I'm watery shite at it. 

If it helps at all, I'm little more than an enthusiastic idiot when it comes to these kind of games either. This is largely just down to practice, I've never put this much time into one shmup before and would still be dreadful at any other entry in the genre!

• Upvote 1

I had another crack at Easy for a change of pace. It feels like a really unsatisfying mode now, though I'm very thankful it existed to ease me into the game.

Managed a 1CC scoring run - still tons of room for improvement at 254mil, but I doubt I'll bother. There are certain points in Easy where it feels almost impossible not to lose your chain - there's one bit in stage 3 where you fight a mid boss, then you get the mid-stage title sequence. If you're fast on Medium, you can just get to the right spot to graze and carry on; at worst save your Trance Mode for the free refill.

On Easy it trolls you - the ships after the title don't fire bullets, but if you pop your Trance and wipe them out there's nothing else to kill in time! I'm sure you can stagger the kills but it just feels quite unsatisfying.

Majority of this score comes from the bit in stage 4 where the worms come down alternating sides of the screen.

Either way Easy is great for learning the patterns and the 1cc is not trivial, but I don't think there's much reason to play it once you're comfortable with Medium, other than the hilarity of patiently waiting for a group of ships to give you something to graze, only for them to think better of it and just fly off instead.

Spirit:

Easy 254,005,017 (1cc)

Medium 794,749,353 (stage 5)

Hard 90,887,233 (stage 3)

True 131,841,229 (stage 2)

Graze:

Hard 32,729,692 (stage 2)

True 14,227,021 (stage 1)

• Upvote 1

Some great scores there, @strawdonkey, I am very much still at incompetent level on this and have got distracted by other stuff recently. After my initial disappointment with the graphics though I really enjoyed the actual gameplay and the chain & score chasing is compulsive. Definitely worth the purchase.

dftitle.jpg.2ddddda6530fb02324d13f2984e526bb.jpg

Dangun Feveron [弾銃フィーバロン, also known as Fever SOS in overseas territories] is an eccentric vertically scrolling STG/Shmup with a fun neon Disco soundtrack. From the notorious bullet hell developer Cave. The game was originally developed for arcades and ran on the popular CAVE 68000 arcade board which spawned other titles such as Dodonpachi, ESP Ra. De. and Guwange. Untypical to most Cave shmups this one isn't 'bullet hell' but with focus on faster less sporadic patterns.

Released in the October of 1998 Dangun Feveron was not ported to any home system at the time and has been revitalised some twenty years later via the M2 Shot Triggers line for PS4 and Xbox One. The game launches digitally in the western market at a price of $34.99 | ¥3,996 and will be available on April the 4th in the following regions:

Argentina, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Hong Kong SAR, India, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, United States.

I can't help thinking the team at M2 have somewhat of a missed opportunity here as there are three obvious regions missing that would all be very welcoming of a new shmup release, Namely the United Kingdom, France and Brazil. Hopefully this is something M2 can address in the future as there are many people missing out who would love to experience these releases!

The gameplay in Dangun Feveron stands out from most shmups of the era due to the sheer number of options available to the player. You can immediately select the speed of your craft from a value of 1 to 4, Choose one of three rapid fire weapons [single button press] and one of three continuous flow weapons[button hold] These options allow the player to craft a ship tailored to their individual playing style.

Ships/Craft:
TYPE-A: Single burst pattern
TYPE-B: 3-way pattern
TYPE-C: wide area spread pattern

Powerful/Continuous shot:
LOCK-ON: Chases enemy
BOMB: Explode upon contact
ROLL: Penetrates through enemy

Items:
Main shot (P): Increases power of main shot
Way shot (P): Increases power of way shot
Bomb (B): Increases bomb stock by 1 (max 4)
Cyborg: Increases score and enemy value
FP: Increases shot power to maximum

Dangun Feveron pioneered a scoring mechanic called the SOS system 'cyborgs' this gameplay element was later implemented in a similar vein and popularised within other shmups such as 1999's Gigawing from Takumi (Star system). If you destroy each enemy ship within an early time period a cyborg will spawn onscreen (essentially a visual pickup chaining system) each cyborg you collect thanks to moving your ship over them grants the player a bonus multiplyer of +1. Assuming no cyborgs have escaped off screen, most standard enemies are worth the number of saved cyborgs plus one so as an example destroying an standard enemy after collecting nine cyborgs will accordingly award ten points and so on. Non standard enemies and bosses have different starting values in points and can earn large multiplyers. 

Not only does M2's Shot Trigger revision of Dangun Feveron feature a fully authentic arcade experience the package also features a large number of options and improvements and just like the previous release in the line Battle Garegga rev.2016 has a real feeling that a lot of care and attention has been placed on giving gamers the ultimate version of the game.

Game modes, This is the difficulty selection:

Arcade - default settings
Super Easy - A custom M2 mode which allows you to slow down the gameplay, add a magnetic effect to cyborgs and auto safety bombing when the player craft is in the lower third of the screen
Fever - Another custom M2 mode focused on chaining
Custom - A player customised game

31-03-2018_21-07-09.thumb.png.fc428c5cc66106df843e2931ab1039bf.png

M2 Gadgets (when enabled, otherwise borders are black) are visual boxes that occupy the left and right borders of the screen and contain fourteen various types of real time data based on the game you are currently playing. Stage store, Cyborg chain counter and which musical track is playing are all nicely featured giving every and all information needed to the player.

Lavish attention has been placed on the audio side and the game features four very distinct soundtrack options:

Arcade - Original Mono score
Soundtrack - Stereo with added detail
FM Arrange - FM sound source version by Tatsuhiko Kasuga
VIP Arrange - New arrange sound version by chibi-tech

Screen options, Everything you'd ever need is here. Tate mode (all directions) scanlines (25,50,75,100%) , Screen modes (scale to fit, dot by dot, manual) and smoothing (on/off)

01-04-2018_10-50-46.thumb.png.a4fd0880d33575e5805555fd7f1c9c29.png

Verdit:
It's great to see these games that we're previously arcade only find a new home, The whole process M2 have undertaken is exceptional and pretty much every feature you could ever want is in this package. Is Dangun Feveron a game with mass appeal in the genre? It doesn't have the cool factor of a Ketsui or the intreague of Progear but what's there is a fun experience with it's own distinct identity and a soundtrack that encourages you to progress.

Recommended 8/10. A truly exceptional port.

01-04-2018_11-08-05.thumb.png.3925720e2ad66cd9e14093f9c10d82e9.png

Are there any omissions?
A couple, I can't seem to find a way to select the international version of the game (SOS Fever). Only the Japanese revision seems to be immediately available. And a minor gripe... there doesn't seem to be any visual border options if you elect to play without M2 gadgets enabled.

What would I like to see in the future? 
ESP Ra. de. , Progear no Arashi and Gigawing just to see how they would approach and give options to that fantastic soundtrack.

Players 1 or 2 simultanious
Stages 5 with TLB
Xbox One version reviewed via an Xbox One X
Review code provided courtesy of M2 team
http://m2stg.com/en/dangun-feveron/xboxone/

The third English release in the M2 Shot Triggers line will be Sorcery Striker 魔法大作戦 Mahou Daisakusen [A 1993 medieval themed vertical scrolling shooter developed by Raizing|8ing]

One thing to note, I would have liked to have made a few accompanying demo videos for inclusion but the current internal video capture on Xbox only allows for 30fps video and the game runs at 60fps so it's not a good representation of how well the game runs.

• Upvote 9

yeah dangun is ace! there's an arrange mode too. it's a great port for a game that's never had a port before. worth the £35 for me, think it cost about that for the japanese version on ps4 release, but this new english version is $35 i think so a bit cheaper.

really basic scoring tip for anyone who does get it, collect all the disco men, and if any are about to go off the top of the screen it's worth bombing as that freezes them in place for easy collection, and bombing apparently is not as bad as losing the chain.

i had some more goes at scoring in danmaku unlimited 3, but didn't do too well, ~40 million on easy. struggling to get the 1cc too, there's 2 boss patterns in particular, one each for the last 2 bosses that eat up all my lives/auto bombs.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, spatular said:

i had some more goes at scoring in danmaku unlimited 3, but didn't do too well, ~40 million on easy. struggling to get the 1cc too, there's 2 boss patterns in particular, one each for the last 2 bosses that eat up all my lives/auto bombs.

I presume it's the last one on the fourth boss, where you have to hide behind the hexagons? That's my Achilles heel on Medium at present, can basically get all the way there and then basically forget how to play.

Which one are you struggling with on the fifth boss?

I mess up on the hiding one yeah but not too bad, it's the one with stuff coming from all directions and loads of lasers come down from the top of the screen, I think the other is similar but with indestructible squares (hexagons?) instead of lasers, although I might be getting confused as the graphics are quite samey it all sort of blurs into one. I think I just can't cope with being attacked on all sides at once.

20 minutes ago, spatular said:

I mess up on the hiding one yeah but not too bad, it's the one with stuff coming from all directions and loads of lasers come down from the top of the screen, I think the other is similar but with indestructible squares (hexagons?) instead of lasers, although I might be getting confused as the graphics are quite samey it all sort of blurs into one. I think I just can't cope with being attacked on all sides at once.

Ah yeah, the second wave is also a pain. Thing to remember there is that the lasers are never in the same place twice, so once you get used to switching to a gap where the laser just was, you then just need to avoid the other random shit it throws at you. 

Once you figure out the main part of that pattern it's not too unreasonable, but to begin with it's just a huge leap in difficulty.

The one with the invincible hexagons is also pretty simple - just keep making your way from left to right and vice versa. They always appear on the opposite side of the screen to the last one, so it removes that portion of time where you have to read and understand which side it's on.

• Upvote 1

cheers for the tips! not sure i did a good job of explaining where the second bit was, think we might be talking about different parts, so i had a look at a replay:

https://youtu.be/4lQTNx0h6fs?t=1465

i think my best chance for success is to see if a saturn pad works on the pc version.

19 minutes ago, spatular said:

cheers for the tips! not sure i did a good job of explaining where the second bit was, think we might be talking about different parts, so i had a look at a replay:

https://youtu.be/4lQTNx0h6fs?t=1465

i think my best chance for success is to see if a saturn pad works on the pc version.

Ah yeah, that one fucks me up too. Haven't figured it out yet, I have very little game beyond survival on stage 5 at present unfortunately!

• Upvote 1

I've been messing around with Gradius Gaiden as I continue to try to get used to a stick. What a fucking spectacular game, in every sense of the word. So many moments (the gravity shit in stage 7 being a particular highlight) and the music is incredible. It saddens that the 32-bit consoles had so little of that amazing souped-up 2D because it always looks so satisfying.

Having said all that, I don't see myself going for a 1cc any time soon. Recovery after death is very viable some of the time compared to most Gradius games (especially with the guage edit) but there are other points where you'd still be fairly fucked and a single loop is fairly long at about 50 minutes which I could see leading to frustration. I had visions of myself throwing the PC out of the window at the stage 8 boss rush.

Still, I'll be returning to it from time to time and it's definitely WELL worth a credit feed/save state romp just to see the sights and hear the sounds.

If you're a Uridium fan this might scratch an itch, Out on May 11th for PS4, Xbox One, Switch and Steam.

• Upvote 1

Yessssss. No release date or localisation details yet, but I still have my PS2 Psyvariar disc on a shelf somewhere because there haven't been any new games in ages.

• Upvote 6

Great news! It seems this is going to include Medium Unit, Revision and a new mode. Revision has always been one of my favourites - I think it definitely has the best implemention of a 'graze' system to date. Should be worth picking up just for that. :)

• Upvote 2

Nice! The Psyvariar thread is one of my better memories of hanging around NTSC-UK in days of yore.

Ooh nice!  I too still have PS2 Psyvariar (packed away in a dusty box).  Looking forward to playing it again on a current gen console.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of the 'graze' system, would I be right in thinking Danmaku Unlimited 3 has a similar system?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, definitely! It has different scoring mechanics to Psyvariar but they both heavily involve scraping up against bullets rather than just dodging 'em.

• Upvote 1

Just echoing everyone else here, but new Psyvariar, amazing news! One of the first games I got hold of when I re-acquired a PS2 recently, loved both the older games.

Official website: http://psyvariar-delta.com/ - there are language options at the top-left of the site, and release info on each page, so there may be a western release planned? Bit of a stretch, I know...

Trailer:

• Upvote 3

Interested in hot takes on the EDF STG, if anybody's buying it. I'm intrigued, but expect it proudly continues the series' "rough around the edges, but ironically" schtick, which wouldn't be much fun in a shooter, imo...

Western trailer for Psyvariar (pretty much the same as the one up there): current ETA is "summer" and it's listed on the publisher site here

• Upvote 1

Before I stick it up in the sales thread, would anyone like my monitor stand? It's big, heavy and will take fairly large monitors. Best of all (and the reason I'm asking you lot if you want it) is because it has fantastic and stable tilt and swivel. So it's perfect for your ol' TARRR-TAYYY, mothafuckas! :)

I've moved to wall mounts and monitor arms, hence shifting on. You can have it for postage, which I guess will be in the £10 bracket.

DSC_1609_1525256263545.jpg

DSC_1606_1525256201841.jpg

• Upvote 5