rllmuk
Dr Seedyman

Shmups

Took it back to the old school tonight. Set the Yoda Xbox up, played Area-88 start to finish with my DC stick. Its harder than I remember but still super awesome. And its no ten minute wonder. Well over an hour to get through it and buy all the planes.

I cant find a rap anywhere for love nor money. I lived with housemates who had PS2 sticks so never needed one! ;)
They dont come up very often Stiff. Sometimes in the sales threads on Ntsc-uk and SRK. I got mine from play asia when they came out. About a 100quid delivered.

I've sold him my Hori 2 now for quite a bit less and that.

If he doesn't like it he can always swap some of the parts over.

Oh and Stiff, if i find it i'll hunt down a PS2 > PC convertor. Not sure how good it is but if you want to use it on a PC - use the Xpadder proggie to set it up, install mame and you should be away.

I have got a budget of a couple of hundred quid to set myself up with a console and some decent shooters. Whats anyones recommendation. Jap 360 and Shiki 3? Jap wii with milestone collection. Jap slimline ps2 with some cave stuff? What would be my best buy?

add another vote for the ps2 for the 4 cave ports. although 360 is getting DOJ and ketsui (ports of unproven quality though).

Yeah we bought one for one housemate for his birthday. Got a Fighting Stick 2 coming soon! Maybe I'll mod it with Sanwa buttons/stick???
Ooh nice! Hori make some great sticks dont they? Do you have any other PS2 shooters Stiff?

Cacky, Thats lovely. Am I right in thinking your a bit of a Psyvarier 2 fan too. Im sure I saw you a few times in the NTSC-UK thread.

Yeah, I love Psyvariar 2 but compared to people like Saur I suck sweaty balls at it. I think it's my favourite DC shmup actually, even more so than Ikaruga.

Niiiiiice! Thats better than I expected. Saw the Darius ship and didn't think it was all that. The R9 is sweet though.

The Silver Hawk isn't bad actually but the R-9A is done very nicely indeed. It's a really good ship design imo as well, not only from an aesthetic point of view but also a technical one. It's the most realistically proportioned of all the space fighters and it has a huge bubble cabopy giving greater visibility to the pilot. Admittedly, once the Force latches onto the front you're kinda fucked in terms of seeing anything (though it might have one way transparency, think I read that somewhere...).

I've got a resin model of the R9 which was a total fucker to build (one photocopied sheet of all the parts and a pic of the assembled model). I can't be fucked to paint it, horribly.

Check out some of the stunning stuff here:

http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/13bspec/events/e-index.html

I can't find anywhere that stocks them, though. :(

Those are works in progress and not ready for release as yet.

Yeah, I love Psyvariar 2 but compared to people like Saur I suck sweaty balls at it. I think it's my favourite DC shmup actually, even more so than Ikaruga.
o/\o Me too sir. Im gonna get hunted down witchfinder style for this, but its just got much more scope for truely dark skills. Its much less of a memory test. And it looks gorgeous.

I've sold him my Hori 2 now for quite a bit less and that.

If he doesn't like it he can always swap some of the parts over.

Oh and Stiff, if i find it i'll hunt down a PS2 > PC convertor. Not sure how good it is but if you want to use it on a PC - use the Xpadder proggie to set it up, install mame and you should be away.

stick.jpg

This is my 360 stick, so I can just use that I think ;)

I don't have many shooters:

I bought Gunbird yesterday, erm Psyvariar - which I'd link to the high scores thread from back in the day if search worked, and not too much else I don't think.

Has anyone got a list of the decent shooters for Mame and the CPS 1 and 2 emulators please?

Here's some from my favourites folder in mame, as good a place to start as anywhere

1941/1942/1943

Air Gallet

Battle Bakraid

Carrier Air Wing/UN Squadron

Change Air Blade

DonDonPachi

DonPachi

ESP RA DE

Giga Wing

Guwange

Mars Matrix

Vasara

Afterbirth : If you can't remember the scoring system for ESP RA DE, then check out the wikipedia page, it explains it quite well iirc. There was virtually nothing on there before, and I've got a a text file sitting on my desktop with half finished instructions for playing it, which I started about a year ago, and never finished or uploaded :-/ Doh!

Has anyone got a list of the decent shooters for Mame and the CPS 1 and 2 emulators please?

Batrider

Batsugun

Dangun Feveron

Dimahoo

Donpachi

DoDonpachi

Dragon Blaze

Esp.Ra.De

Gigawing

Gunbird

Guwange

Mars Matrix

Progear

Raystorm

Tatsujin 1/2

Varth

That'll do for now. All MAME. If you have a hacked PSP, use the CPS2 emulator for Progear, Dimahoo and Mars Matrix. It's perfect.

This thread has reminded me to get back into my shooters, I've been meaning to for a while. I have intense periods of love for them then the necessary obsessiveness starts to grate and I turm into a controller-smashing ten year old. Mainly because I'm not good enough.

Dodonpachi is calling. It's the king of shooters for me.

Afterbirth : If you can't remember the scoring system for ESP RA DE, then check out the wikipedia page, it explains it quite well iirc.

It took me ages to get the hang of it but when it clicks it's very satisfying. A well-timed burst and then swiping the screen clear to a host of shining, golden x16s is a sight to behold. Progear's screen-filling rain of diamonds is close but there's something do-able about Esp.Ra.De. I know I can get through it with just a bit more practice. I never do because I'm shit at it, but that's not the point. It doesn't feel impossible.

Lovely game.

You can't help but spooge at ESPGaludas arrange mode scoring system....

Thanks BTW mute and U2031, i was going to check that out but got stuck trying to beat a score on Ikaruga. Which i've now done.

(eat that outspaced... :) )

That said, i'm still shite.