The PS4 Premium set of Battle Garegga has dropped from 9500 yen to 4000yen on Amazon JP (They ship internationally now) I think you get a digital code for the game instead of a disc so you'll need to setup a Japanese PSN account to use it.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/バトルガレッガ-Rev-2016-Premium-バトルガレッガ2016Edition-サウンドトラックCD-設定資料集-復刻インストラクションカード/dp/B01M0EDP0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486829925&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4%2Bgaregga&th=1

I'm guessing this hasn't sold that well to get this kind of discount. Hopefully they'll end up porting it to PC and Xbox too. Maybe

On 11/02/2017 at 20:21, Triple A said:

I'm almost able to 1CC premium mode with medal mode on for most levels now.

Thats impressive!

I've been having a go at activating medal mode recently, managed it a few times but with a shed load of retries. It's cool once activated but I get destroyed pretty quick as it's much harder. I don't really like being forced to restart constantly - seems like a poor scoring mechanic to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I was a huge fan of this but...

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/sine-mora-ex-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

THQ Nordic has announced Sine Mora EX, an extended version of the horizontal shoot ’em up developed by Digital Reality and Grasshopper Manufacture, due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC this summer.

Sine Mora EX offers a Story Mode that tells an “over-the-top tale” and an Arcade Mode that provides “deep, satisfying gameplay.” It will be playable for the first time at PAX East 2017 in Boston from March 10 to 12

On 06/03/2017 at 12:19, Pockets said:

Can you get onto some of the other people and get us Radiant Silvergun, Under Defeat and any others that need to come out. Cheers.

Also Garegga and Souky for less than twenty notes pls

Couldn't sleep last night so watched a twitch streamer play Nier for a bit. He was just getting into this boss fight which looked pretty spectacular and shmup like. Spoilers for Nier obviously so check with caution:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, clippa said:

Yaaas! Finally got my 1cc on ghost blade HD hard mode after 16 hours play! :D

I was worried that it was going to be too easy judging from the trailer but hard mode gets tricky, especially in those later stages.

There's a bit of a tussle for the top slot on score attack but I reclaimed the prize tonight.

Amazing game, you really need to play it. Poor zelda's been fighting ganon all on her own while I've been twatting aliens all day.

I've got no idea how people get through these games. Any tips? I like them, but am lucky if I get through on easy mode, I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I sort of knew some of that but it's good to have it confirmed and know that I'm just a bit shit rather than doing anything wrong. :)

I think my main issues are bombs, I'm never quick enough to use them when I need to. This is why I love the auto bomb in DoDonPachi which I managed to 1cc in easy mode and can get quite far in normal. Other than that, I can usually get to the 3rd level in Mushihimesama, sometimes 4th but only the 3rd in normal mode I think.

You're right that I should stick with one at first, but I do have quite a few on Steam and will switch between them. Mushi is probably the one I've played the most but perhaps not the easiest to start with.

I think maybe I'm just a bit old, I don't see bullets quickly enough or react with my bombs. I still enjoy them though.

I've decided it's been way too long since I've actually sat down and dedicated myself to a shooter, I think the last time I did more than dabble was 1cc'ing Soukyugurentai and that was probably in about 2003 or something ridiculous. I think it's down to too many options, not only are there countless great shmups to choose from but the home ports often have different modes and variations which makes it even harder to defnitively settle on something to play. Cave stuff can be bad for that and the menus on Dariusburst are completely bewildering to me.

Help me out of my paralysis, shmups thread. To limit it to things I've actually paid money for and should probably prioritise, on Steam I've got Deathsmiles, Mushihimesama, Crimzon Clover and Dariusburst CS. I'm thinking Deathsmiles might be a good option to get back into it? Is the Mega Black Label version the one to play? What mode are people tending to go for on Darius?

2 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

I've decided it's been way too long since I've actually sat down and dedicated myself to a shooter, I think the last time I did more than dabble was 1cc'ing Soukyugurentai and that was probably in about 2003 or something ridiculous. I think it's down to too many options, not only are there countless great shmups to choose from but the home ports often have different modes and variations which makes it even harder to defnitively settle on something to play. Cave stuff can be bad for that and the menus on Dariusburst are completely bewildering to me.

Help me out of my paralysis, shmups thread. To limit it to things I've actually paid money for and should probably prioritise, on Steam I've got Deathsmiles, Mushihimesama, Crimzon Clover and Dariusburst CS. I'm thinking Deathsmiles might be a good option to get back into it? Is the Mega Black Label version the one to play? What mode are people tending to go for on Darius?

I quite liked the Chronicles mode on Darius - felt like a shmup RPG or something and you had certain goals to progress, sometimes not dying, sometimes something else. I like the 'quick go' mechanic of shmups, but I liked that this gave you a sort of long campaign that also forced you to use different ships and learn different things along the way.

Deathsmiles 1CC is very doable - I did it and I typically crash and burn on any shmup around stage 3  -  but I needed to find out how to score big points (and I think it was through a bullet cancel mechanic too?  Been years).  More points means extra lives, and they help get you to the end credits. 

I think Deathsmiles is one I didn't get on with. Too many mechanics for me and couldn't get a control scheme I liked. Didn't stop me buying it again for £15 on Steam for one 20 minute go though. 

Will take another look look with those hints as I should try to get something out of it. 

Yeah, the controls can be a bit weird and I don't think I'll ever get it quite feeling right on a Saturn pad because of the annoying way Cave just think 'fuck it, most people will be using 360 controllers anyway' with their PC ports. I'd be happy using Joy2Key except you can't because they've hardwired some buttons to menu functions. Want bomb on the right trigger? You can have it there but it'll also open the pause menu :facepalm:

It's a great example of what I'm moaning about too, for modes you've got:

Normal

Version 1.1

Arcade

Mega Black Label normal

Mega Black Label Version 1.1

Mega Black Label arcade

And on all those modes you've got three varieties of each of the initial six stages to choose from, plus the later stages can change up too.

I'm not saying any of this is bad per se, it's probably good that it's all there for the sake of completeness and depth, but for me I defintely prefer it when there's just a standard, definitive version of these things so even if you're shit at it you know exactly where you stand and what you need to do to improve.

Anyway, the game itself. Having played it again for a couple of hours I do remember that I could often get to the castle in one continue on a mixture of rank 2 and 3 stages but then found the castle fairly rough, but probably pretty do-able with a bit more practice. The last two bosses I find to be total dicks though, I'm not super confident I'll ever really clock them properly.

Also, Mary still raises a chuckle every time :wub:

A big part of 1CCing Deathsmiles for me was knowing which route I should take to optimise my item count (the number in the corner that increases when you collect skulls.) There are some stage intros where I much prefer to have 1000 items and power-up for the beginning, and others where it's less trouble so I can use my power-up on the boss in the previous stage.

This is just as relevant during the castle, as there are many moments where you'll really want 1000 items available. :) And of course successfully powering up at the right time can refill your gauge instantly too (by making enemies throw out hundreds of skulls for collecting.)

5 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Yeah, the controls can be a bit weird and I don't think I'll ever get it quite feeling right on a Saturn pad because of the annoying way Cave just think 'fuck it, most people will be using 360 controllers anyway' with their PC ports. I'd be happy using Joy2Key except you can't because they've hardwired some buttons to menu functions. Want bomb on the right trigger? You can have it there but it'll also open the pause menu :facepalm:

yeah that really annoys me too. and funny you can use the saturn pad right trigger for bomb on a 360 (well with this odd setup anyway: ps2 saturn pad -> ps2 to 360 converter).

my memory is terrible, deathsmiles is one of the very few (2) games i have an ok score on, but i can barely remember anything about the scoring system or route i took etc. all i remember is i'd pick rosa, attempt and usually fail a recharge on the volcano stage, and shooting stuff more with your familiar's bullets when in the overdrive mode thing gets more points. i like the mode where you can control the familiar with the right stick too...not a clue what it's called (1.1?).

edit - oh yeah crimzon clover is ace, especially the steam version, and doesn't have loads of modes so less confusing i guess.

When you say you rarely use the rapid fire and tapping is okay, Deathsmiles, do you mean you hold down the shot button that makes you move slower most of the time?

I can see how that works in this and wondered if maybe I should do that in other games like Mushi too?

Interesting, I've always done it the other way round, only slowing down when I need to. 

Didn't know DS had a lock shot at all. Is that both normal shot L/R buttons or can I use the rapid fire shot L/R buttons too?

I've got, on a bone pad, X as rapid, A as normal right / Y as rapid, B as normal left. It's easy for me to hold X and A or Y and B to laser with my thumb from my Mario run/jump days but I guess that might mean I need A and B for the lock thing? I've got bomb on RB and Hyper thingy on LB.

I like to try to keep a vaguely similar control layout across all shmups - my usual is X rapid, A focus/laser meaning I can usually 'Mario' both buttons for focus/slow/laser when needed and keep bomb on RB.

Hang on, by 'lock', do you mean the dragon shooting thing? I've got that on RT if needed too. I find it a bit weird as I'm not sure what I'm controlling when using that.

Thanks for the tips. I had another go and can almost get through it all without continuing until the last level which I assume you don't get to choose the level of, unless I missed it. I did a couple on level 2 to try to build up some points for lives. 

I don't think I'll ever be able to do the last level on 1cc. So much left and right switching in that one. 

21 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I don't think I'll ever be able to do the last level on 1cc. So much left and right switching in that one. 

Try using Rosa. I'd pretty much always used Windia since I was too lazy to move the cursor but tonight I've been trying to warm back up to things by doing a few of the achievements. Cleared the last stage without taking a hit with her first go :lol:. Her firepower is so ridiculous that the bigger enemies who can cause you problems by limiting your space often go down before they can even attack you. She's a bit mad for bosses when you're used to Windia, I bet on level 1 some of the bosses probably just think 'Nah, fuck it' and turn around back home. Her option control type isn't the one I like, but I think she'd probably break the game if it was.

Played a bit with the lock-on as Follett too and I can see that that actually is useful for those same problematic enemies in the final stage. Just need to plan my route and figure out which two stages to drop to level 2 and I think I'll be settled on what to practice.

One of the benefits of shmups and similar 'hardcore' games on Steam is that those cards that drop all go for about 25p a pop. Madness. 

39 minutes ago, clippa said:

Nice one! Yeah, the last level is a set difficulty.

You WILL do it. So long as you're still having fun, keep playing and you'll surprise yourself in no time.

Yeah I am enjoying it. The bullet patterns are much easier to avoid, on level 1 anyway, than other games so the fact it feels doable keeps me interested. 

Managed to get to the last level of DS without continues. Think I only got hit once and tried a couple on level 2, I was fluking some dodges though. Last level just fucked me very quickly however. Might try that in practice mode for a bit now I'm okay on the others.