IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

19 hours ago, spatular said:

been playing some battle garegga, wasn't sure about getting it as while i like the game i've played it quite a lot before and could just play it on saturn/mame (with a better pad even) and it's a bit too much hard work sometimes, remembering not to shoot all the time and not collect stuff etc...anyway glad i got it as the new mode is great, it stays on low rank throughout (unless you have mad skillz to unlock some sort of high rank mode), and has autobomb (if you have a full bomb in stock, not just the little ones) which makes it really good fun, for me anyway. oh and the coloured bullets are great too.

Premium Mode is amaze. Activating medal mode isn't too difficult (although I don't know the exact unlock conditions - definitely to do with getting your medal amount up though), but when you do whhhhheeeeee points galore - last couple of stages are very tough though.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Z-Exemplar for android the other day....a very nice Gradius/Rytpe game with typically shitty Doorwedge graphics....

Obviously if they'd done it in a C64 style it would have been infinitesimally better.

Now if you'll excuse the stupid speccy bloody loading noise...

http://www.zexemplar.com/

NoFilter_07.jpg

Its got something like 1000 planets - which are fairly short (to emulate what a speccy could handle in its 48k ram, albeit with 4 colours and not 16 or whatever the thing had). Lots of weapons too, and emulates everything from Gradius to Zynaps (i say everything, but the speccy only had Gradius, Nemesis and Zynaps). So it emulates them.

You even get "colour clash", whatever the fuck that means, because as a C64 user i have know idea what speccy owners are saying. They say stuff like.... "itz gotz bleepz"! (Really? WTF is a bleep?)

Nice game though. Ahem :)

The PS4 Premium set of Battle Garegga has dropped from 9500 yen to 4000yen on Amazon JP (They ship internationally now) I think you get a digital code for the game instead of a disc so you'll need to setup a Japanese PSN account to use it.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/バトルガレッガ-Rev-2016-Premium-バトルガレッガ2016Edition-サウンドトラックCD-設定資料集-復刻インストラクションカード/dp/B01M0EDP0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486829925&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4%2Bgaregga&th=1

I'm guessing this hasn't sold that well to get this kind of discount. Hopefully they'll end up porting it to PC and Xbox too. Maybe

On 11/02/2017 at 20:21, Triple A said:

I'm almost able to 1CC premium mode with medal mode on for most levels now.

Thats impressive!

I've been having a go at activating medal mode recently, managed it a few times but with a shed load of retries. It's cool once activated but I get destroyed pretty quick as it's much harder. I don't really like being forced to restart constantly - seems like a poor scoring mechanic to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I was a huge fan of this but...

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/sine-mora-ex-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

THQ Nordic has announced Sine Mora EX, an extended version of the horizontal shoot ’em up developed by Digital Reality and Grasshopper Manufacture, due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC this summer.

Sine Mora EX offers a Story Mode that tells an “over-the-top tale” and an Arcade Mode that provides “deep, satisfying gameplay.” It will be playable for the first time at PAX East 2017 in Boston from March 10 to 12

Couldn't sleep last night so watched a twitch streamer play Nier for a bit. He was just getting into this boss fight which looked pretty spectacular and shmup like. Spoilers for Nier obviously so check with caution:

Spoiler

Mushi is brilliant fun, though. I think I'm at about the same place as you - in most of these games I get some way through stage 3 and maybe see stage 4 once before I drift away from it.

I've decided it's been way too long since I've actually sat down and dedicated myself to a shooter, I think the last time I did more than dabble was 1cc'ing Soukyugurentai and that was probably in about 2003 or something ridiculous. I think it's down to too many options, not only are there countless great shmups to choose from but the home ports often have different modes and variations which makes it even harder to defnitively settle on something to play. Cave stuff can be bad for that and the menus on Dariusburst are completely bewildering to me.

Help me out of my paralysis, shmups thread. To limit it to things I've actually paid money for and should probably prioritise, on Steam I've got Deathsmiles, Mushihimesama, Crimzon Clover and Dariusburst CS. I'm thinking Deathsmiles might be a good option to get back into it? Is the Mega Black Label version the one to play? What mode are people tending to go for on Darius?

Deathsmiles 1CC is very doable - I did it and I typically crash and burn on any shmup around stage 3  -  but I needed to find out how to score big points (and I think it was through a bullet cancel mechanic too?  Been years).  More points means extra lives, and they help get you to the end credits. 

Yeah, the controls can be a bit weird and I don't think I'll ever get it quite feeling right on a Saturn pad because of the annoying way Cave just think 'fuck it, most people will be using 360 controllers anyway' with their PC ports. I'd be happy using Joy2Key except you can't because they've hardwired some buttons to menu functions. Want bomb on the right trigger? You can have it there but it'll also open the pause menu :facepalm:

It's a great example of what I'm moaning about too, for modes you've got:

Normal

Version 1.1

Arcade

Mega Black Label normal

Mega Black Label Version 1.1

Mega Black Label arcade

And on all those modes you've got three varieties of each of the initial six stages to choose from, plus the later stages can change up too.

I'm not saying any of this is bad per se, it's probably good that it's all there for the sake of completeness and depth, but for me I defintely prefer it when there's just a standard, definitive version of these things so even if you're shit at it you know exactly where you stand and what you need to do to improve.

Anyway, the game itself. Having played it again for a couple of hours I do remember that I could often get to the castle in one continue on a mixture of rank 2 and 3 stages but then found the castle fairly rough, but probably pretty do-able with a bit more practice. The last two bosses I find to be total dicks though, I'm not super confident I'll ever really clock them properly.

Also, Mary still raises a chuckle every time :wub:

A big part of 1CCing Deathsmiles for me was knowing which route I should take to optimise my item count (the number in the corner that increases when you collect skulls.) There are some stage intros where I much prefer to have 1000 items and power-up for the beginning, and others where it's less trouble so I can use my power-up on the boss in the previous stage.

This is just as relevant during the castle, as there are many moments where you'll really want 1000 items available. :) And of course successfully powering up at the right time can refill your gauge instantly too (by making enemies throw out hundreds of skulls for collecting.)

5 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Yeah, the controls can be a bit weird and I don't think I'll ever get it quite feeling right on a Saturn pad because of the annoying way Cave just think 'fuck it, most people will be using 360 controllers anyway' with their PC ports. I'd be happy using Joy2Key except you can't because they've hardwired some buttons to menu functions. Want bomb on the right trigger? You can have it there but it'll also open the pause menu :facepalm:

yeah that really annoys me too. and funny you can use the saturn pad right trigger for bomb on a 360 (well with this odd setup anyway: ps2 saturn pad -> ps2 to 360 converter).

my memory is terrible, deathsmiles is one of the very few (2) games i have an ok score on, but i can barely remember anything about the scoring system or route i took etc. all i remember is i'd pick rosa, attempt and usually fail a recharge on the volcano stage, and shooting stuff more with your familiar's bullets when in the overdrive mode thing gets more points. i like the mode where you can control the familiar with the right stick too...not a clue what it's called (1.1?).

edit - oh yeah crimzon clover is ace, especially the steam version, and doesn't have loads of modes so less confusing i guess.

21 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I don't think I'll ever be able to do the last level on 1cc. So much left and right switching in that one. 

Try using Rosa. I'd pretty much always used Windia since I was too lazy to move the cursor but tonight I've been trying to warm back up to things by doing a few of the achievements. Cleared the last stage without taking a hit with her first go :lol:. Her firepower is so ridiculous that the bigger enemies who can cause you problems by limiting your space often go down before they can even attack you. She's a bit mad for bosses when you're used to Windia, I bet on level 1 some of the bosses probably just think 'Nah, fuck it' and turn around back home. Her option control type isn't the one I like, but I think she'd probably break the game if it was.

Played a bit with the lock-on as Follett too and I can see that that actually is useful for those same problematic enemies in the final stage. Just need to plan my route and figure out which two stages to drop to level 2 and I think I'll be settled on what to practice.

Right, tonight I was messing around doing a bit more experimenting with routes and how you get the cakes and stuff to appear when I suddenly realised I'd got to Jitterbug on that one continue. Of course, as soon as I realised that a bit of adrenaline suddenly kicked in :lol:. I was forced to bomb as I was down to my last bar and cannot deal with his last phase of attacks at all, I really need to practice that. I think that was actually the first bomb I used because I try not to if I'm practicing, if I can get in the habit of using them I think I'll be set but I'm fucking terrible for hoarding bombs in general.

Tyrannosatan polished me off about a third of the way through his health.

Current route:

Lake shore level 3

Graveyard level 3 (trying to get the timing for that house item refill thing, haven't quite got there yet)

Port town level 3

Volcano level 3 (one of the troll things gives a small life power up at this point in the order it seems, I tried doing it earlier and no dice)

Forest level 2 (playing for score it's obviously better to do this on level 3 and power up but the boss' last attack often fucks me up on that so keeping it as one of my two level 2s)

Swamp level 2 (small life power up from the car)

Excellent game.

Makes me want to dust off the 360 and break this out again! Might have iPhone version too, thinking about it...

Practice is the key, especially if the game has a practice mode to zip straight to the problem stage.

(I forget if Death Smiles has one?  But yeah, do that if it does!)

3 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Right, tonight I was messing around doing a bit more experimenting with routes and how you get the cakes and stuff to appear when I suddenly realised I'd got to Jitterbug on that one continue. Of course, as soon as I realised that a bit of adrenaline suddenly kicked in :lol:. I was forced to bomb as I was down to my last bar and cannot deal with his last phase of attacks at all, I really need to practice that. I think that was actually the first bomb I used because I try not to if I'm practicing, if I can get in the habit of using them I think I'll be set but I'm fucking terrible for hoarding bombs in general.

Don't forget that bombs replenish upon death, so - if you don't mind using them - they can be a huge help during Jitterbug and Tyrannosatan. :)