IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Another 1CC in the bag - Refrain -Prism Memories- on Normal. Still not convinced I've scratched the surface of "good" play yet - you build a super meter (up to six stocks) which, when used, does both tons of damage and also deletes enemy bullets; if you use 3-4 stocks at once it clears everything off the screen and can also stun large enemies (including bosses). It also recharges quick-ish, but I repeatedly got caught with no bar (or full bar) and so I feel like there's probably better ways I should be using it.

It feels very much like you're not meant to be dodging enemy bullets, instead breaking them repeatedly using the super weapon; there are shades of Radiant Silvergun in the way that you'll sometimes use just one bar at certain parts of the game, others benefit from two bar, and on the bosses you just want to use as much as possible to stun it and give you a moment's respite.

Last stage goes Touhou as fuck with its bullet curtain boss patterns and honestly I've done a terrible job of describing just how good this is.

Seriously I really rated this; will be heading back for the true 1CC - once you complete the game, even credit-feeding, it unlocks a more difficult version with death bullets that you only have one credit on. Which will be no problem right? Fuck

[edit] also shout out to the status bar on the right of the screen, the sole purpose of which seems to be to tell you "GET THE CUBE!" and "GOT IT!"

Good Job, Donkey! That's a game I never quite clicked with which has always bothered me as a lot of people who share my tastes really dig it.
I remember it having one too many buttons and me not really grasping what I was meant to be doing and when.

The guy who made that really cute snail game - https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/27857

has got a new one out called "Aerial Warfare", route A is even easier than that game, but it looks like route C brings the pain!

https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/30094

I’ve finally got round to playing Aleste Collection and it’s really exceeded my expectations. Loads of fun to be had and it’s made me wonder why I’ve never really given Power Strike a proper go in the past.

Anyway I think I’ve found a bug while playing challenge mode. I’ve been trying to get gold in the Aleste field challenge for round 1 and I always start with weapon 8. About 3/4 of the way through I always end up with weapon 1. I thought I was accidentally picking it up but no matter where I am on the screen it happens. Anyone else noticed this? It could be a bug in the original game I suppose.

You can dejuggify the background art by 75% using gadgets

PPxUr3s.jpeg

You may be able to eliminate the norkery completely in the options by turning off background images. I didn't think to check.

The other characters aren't as forthcoming.

PQSkgOj.jpg

1AcN4Xh.jpg

Honestly, don't let the one handed doodling put you off, outsides games are top tier.

There's a mod for PC to turn the jumper lumps into watermelons - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2851771978

If you're on console, you might have to just buy some smelling salts and plan your playtime around vicar visits.

On 09/03/2023 at 17:22, ImmaculateClump said:

You can dejuggify the background art by 75% using gadgets.

You may be able to eliminate the norkery completely in the options by turning off background images. I didn't think to check.

The other characters aren't as forthcoming.

"norkery"!!! 😆

On 05/03/2023 at 12:29, strawdonkey said:

will be heading back for the true 1CC - once you complete the game, even credit-feeding, it unlocks a more difficult version with death bullets that you only have one credit on. Which will be no problem right? Fuck

Spoiler

There's a true last boss. Of course there's a true last boss. I got absolutely battered by it

Same. Another big stupid box of Taito tat for muggins here! Come on DHL!

Be sure to play the RayCrisis port if you get this, folks - the PS1 port is great, but nowhere near 'accurate', so unless you've had access to the PCB you'll be seeing a fair chunk of it for the first time, not just in terms of graphical content but also in terms of rank, Encroachment and other behaviours.

My standard version of Ray’z just arrived and a quick shot of the first game having never seen anything of the series before made me uncommonly happy for a Monday.

Excitedly digging out Retro Gamer from the other month for a refresher. 

16 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Hide contents

There's a true last boss. Of course there's a true last boss. I got absolutely battered by it

Aw, man. I'd have warned you if I knew.
Hate those guys.

I'm holding out for the pc version of the the ray'z collection since Taito is publishing.

Got a better score in CrossGunr: Infinite the other night.

Dagaq0V.png

Dead In Vitro got an update recently, it's a lot longer now. Really good fun. - https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/29393

A score to beat - 16,293,170,860

Yeah, there was a one-day-only version of the Limited Edition box that came with a code for R-Gear (a one-stage prototype from a project which was scrapped and became RayStorm).

I can't play it yet but DHL Santa has been!

On 13/03/2023 at 18:09, Klatrymadon said:

Yeah, there was a one-day-only version of the Limited Edition box that came with a code for R-Gear

OMG that's some hardcore content gating.  Would buy of course lol

On 05/03/2023 at 12:29, strawdonkey said:

Seriously I really rated this; will be heading back for the true 1CC - once you complete the game, even credit-feeding, it unlocks a more difficult version with death bullets that you only have one credit on. Which will be no problem right? Fuck

I did it! Wasn't that much more difficult than the vanilla 1CC after all, I'm just terrible and inconsistent.

Will get the replay up later but this is potentially the single most scuffed 1CC I've ever had - it's just a complete mess full of soft deaths before a vaguely competent final boss. It all counts though!

image.png.e92aa1f1f15ade5c09d61dbe1d350309.png

[edit] even the recorded replay has added slowdown. Truly the most cursed 1CC:

Haha. It always seems to be the way.

I was playing Crossgunr the other day and had this really clean run where I was dodging everything and didn't die until right at the end.
The next run I had, the one where I blast my score was scrappy as all hell and I'm headbutting bullets left, right and centre, barely managing to refill my health in time for the next mistake, trousers falling down, the lot.

You might not come out of it looking too sexy, but at least it makes the run way more fun to watch! It's a lot more fun cheering on the underdog than watching some cyborg performing a flawless routine.

PlEkieH.png

Hissssss

image.png.3f25d51149d11f052695572a8be25b51.png

Refrain gives you a not especially generous three credits on all difficulties, so credit feeding isn't really a thing. This wound up being one hit away from a 2CC, and while I think I could get it down to a 1CC I am not sure if it's going to be a slight bridge too far.

One thing I am going to have a crack at though, is getting through the hardest difficulty with the available credits. I had a pretty ropey run just now and got to the very first bit of the final boss, so while I think a lot of it is going to hinge on eradicating the soft deaths and then just facetanking the last stage, it feels like it might be possible. May re-evaluate this after seeing some of the later final boss patterns though...

Crossgunr: Infinite competition has ended. I was reigning supreme for a while there, but SCT came up with some godly bat stacking strats when he realised you could seal the bats and ride them to glory.

It was too late for this old dog to learn new tricks, but kobito managed to adapt quickly and take the top spot.

I got top place for the boss rush, which is a much more pure test of skill, and actually the main mode of the game, I've decided :hat:

https://streamable.com/ehhucq

Aktane has knocked it out of the park again. Even better than the original game. An instant classic.

edit: Sake! I would have won if I did this yesterday. Pressure was off :D

3j1xCFO.png

Anyone else had an issue with Rayz Arcade Chronology since the 1.02 patch on PS4? It just black screens on me with that patch installed.

Patch issues aside I’m a little disappointed with Rayz after some of the masterpieces M2 have put out. It feels like a lot less time and attention has gone into this compared to previous releases (unless 1.02 adds features in).

On 18/03/2023 at 22:27, strawdonkey said:

One thing I am going to have a crack at though, is getting through the hardest difficulty with the available credits

[lots of swearing later]

image.png.d4553aedb2c2f22b97c30aed1e5a3882.png

Wound up just needing the one additional credit this time - put together a good run through the first few levels and didn't do anything too stupid in the fourth. Still pretty bad at the bosses at the end of the game but the lack of practice mode means you play 20 minutes of the game in exchange for about two minutes of panic that you are telling yourself is practice, but actually is just using the special weapon a lot whilst yelling at your laptop.

Fallen for this one in a big way - I'm assuming that it's just a little mechanically different to a lot of other games, giving you a number of ways out of the plentiful "oh shit" moments that you'll find yourself in each level. The amazing soundtrack helps a lot though, level 2's theme is a reward in itself:

Done with trying to beat difficult modes now, but you can tell the game has its hooks in because I'm immediately pondering more 1CCs on the regular difficulty with the other characters now. What an absolutely fantastic game.

So after confidently going "yeah I'll just bash through Refrain with the other characters", I've been brought back to Earth with a big fucking thud. Miria (who I played with as standard) and Mews are reasonably similar in playstyle, so Mews took a single attempt on each difficulty without too much trouble; but Tee, the remaining character, is giving me a little trouble to the tune of oh my god what is happening. Her special weapon is completely worthless unless you're locked on, which can only be done at close range; her primary weapon only works at close range too when moving slowly, meaning that your damage dealing is severely restricted at long range.

I've literally discovered a new game over state due to being so terminally shit with her that I failed to kill the final stage mid-boss in time, and then the game just kind of ends

It's almost like a completely different game. Getting there slowly but I thought I was pretty good at this and it turns out, er, nope, still just completely terrible.

Shmups :wub: