IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

We are preparing to introduce a ranking linked to the Steam leaderboard.  We are planning to set up a ranking of 4 types of trial modes x 8 types of difficulty.

Ooh, yeah!

Man, they're really pushing the boat out with this one.

Flesh has a demo up on steam. Coming in october - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1660850/Flesh/

Some more footage of mousey keyboard shmup Astralbringer

I’ve been dipping in and out of the Xbone shmups I have. 

Dangun Feveron is pretty crazy, I’m playing Fever Mode and the game is very generous giving you more bombs (every time you’re hit you set off a bomb rather than dying).

The first three stages are manageable, with I bit of practice I could see me doing most of it without being hit, but stages four and five are just mental!

Battle Garegga is my favourite by far, I think it might be my favourite shmup of all the games I’ve played?! It’s definitely up there with Mushihimesama and Soukyugurentai IMO. Again I’m not playing the arcade mode, rather the “arrange” mode (or whatever it’s called) so it’s much more forgiving and I get to see more of the game on one credit. 

The Treasure shmups have never really done it for me. Ikaruga is brutally hard and I’ve never got on with Radiant Silvergun. I think the range of different weapons puts me off, as there’s so much choice but I just need to concentrate on not dying, rather than working out which weapon I should be using!

I've tried to get into Ikaruga many many times, but the unforgiving "puzzle" aspect to it for me just gets in the way of, well, the shmuping. 

My favourite Treasure shooter is still Bangai-O (DC version)

Im sure i mention this all the time and sound like a broken record or whatever but the easy mode in ikaruga is great, its still puzzly but much less confusing to play.

not been playing shmups much lately but did play some on the astro city mini v which is cool but mainly played batrider which ive not played for years, sort of want to get back into it but it plays better on mame so may just wait it out in the hope m2 still plan to release a shottriggers port at some point.

Yeah, I'm not a fan or treasure either.
Danbo, creator of the excellent Blue Revolver, and correct opinion haver did a nice little article about Ikaruga here - https://blog.danbo.vg/post/63083036459/ikaruga

On 06/08/2022 at 11:53, ImmaculateClump said:

Flesh has a demo up on steam. Coming in october - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1660850/Flesh/

This is great fun!

Scores weren't resetting when you were restarting your run and gamepads weren't working, but the dev has fixed it now.

There's your score to beat - 501,393

https://streamable.com/58d69i

I picked up the Aleste Collection a couple of weeks back ultimately just to give M2 some money, with a side thought that it might not be long before it's no longer available. I had no experience with the games and didn't expect much from Master System and Game Gear shooters in 2022 but I love them! Properly. In a tree, K-I-S-S-S-T-G. The full shebang.

I haven't played much of the MS games but since I'm predominantly playing handheld on Switch have focussed on the GG titles - the first is simplistic, simple fun, the second is a real step up in all regards and quite a nice challenge for me but the new third entry is a marvel. Properly impressive technically, tough (for me anyway) and dominating my playing time completely atm. A Game Gear game. I should be playing Cuphead, or Xenoblade Chronicles. Onto the last stage now and it's really testing me so hopefully I can grow a pair and get it done. 

Also it meant that this came in an envelope the other day :omg: The magazine was a nice wee bonus but does anyone know what the Japanese use the word "Same" to mean in game contexts? I've seen it in a few titles now (like the puzzle title Same Game on Super Famicom) so I assume it must be a contraction/adoption of some English term but I never got an answer in the five or so years I studied the language myself.

M2.jpg

Yeah, the asleste collection is great!
I was like you, had never played the games before and wasn't expecting much.
I think it was shmupjunkies enthusiasm that made me take a chance on it.

I know everyone raves about the new GG aleste 3, and it is great, but power strike 2 was the star of the show for me. I love all the different difficulty settings in that, you can find a porridge that's just right.

2 hours ago, Yasawas said:

does anyone know what the Japanese use the word "Same" to mean in game contexts?

I think it's just "shark". I'm assuming that magazine took it's name from "flying shark".
"Same! Same! Same!" is "Shark! Shark! Shark!" in japanese.

59 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I know everyone raves about the new GG aleste 3, and it is great, but power strike 2 was the star of the show for me. I love all the different difficulty settings in that, you can find a porridge that's just right.

Oooh. I've dabbled, and the fact it's completely different in setting, and mechanics (with the charge shot and weapon change I think) interests me so I will definitely check it out properly once GGA3 is done. If it ever is because stage 7 is pretty solid.

And "Same" is shark! Which is incredibly obvious now you say it! :lol: Christ.

It was M2's birthday yesterday. I didn't realise they'd been going so long!

Today, August 8th, is the anniversary of M2's founding, and thanks to you, it's our 31st anniversary! Thank you everyone! There are various titles that we have been waiting for, such as Ubusuna, Arresta Branch, and the new M2 Shot Triggers, so please continue to support us.

I see they garantee that it will never be released digitally, as if that's a good thing. I really dislike the concept of making games artificially rare. So while that looks very cool I'm not going to give them any money. 

Gun Frontier (called Gun & Frontier) is an Arc Archives release this week. 

if you’ve never heard of it it was apparently pretty influential on Battle Garegga. 

Pretty cool/weird Wild West designs too (your ships are flying handgun planes). 

Yeah, it's the best ACA release in ages and I really hope Metal Black is soon to follow. It even includes a 6.6hz autofire rate so that you can use auto without bumping up the rank too much (anything above that starts sending it up, but you still want to use 20-30hz for the bosses).

Hamster are doing a stream with Takatsuna Senba in which they go through the design documents for Gun Frontier. I wish I understood a word because this is absolutely essential viewing.

I do wish the Arcade Archive releases had a little more love spent on them in terms of small things like having wallpapers of the game’s art or something like that. 

edit: instead of the current wallpaper of a slightly lighter than black stripe. 

5 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Aleste collection on Switch re: input lag?

Its 2 frames on Aleste, Aleste 3 is 3 frames with a 10ms audio delay.

18 hours ago, geldra said:

Gun Frontier (called Gun & Frontier) is an Arc Archives release this week. 

if you’ve never heard of it it was apparently pretty influential on Battle Garegga. 

Pretty cool/weird Wild West designs too (your ships are flying handgun planes). 

I’ve never heard of this one, had a quick look on YouTube and it looks really good. Some beautiful parallax scrolling throughout 🥰

Apparently it was ported to Saturn and is also included in Taito Collection 2 on PS2?!

That’s my Saturday sorted, thanks!!

Ok so it’s seems I need to get up to speed with Hamster’s ACA releases. A few good looking vertical shmups there!

Got my eye on Thunder Dragon 2 and Trigon, along with the above mentioned Gun Frontier. Any other recommendations? I’m not against horizontal shmups, but I much prefer vertical ones…

Oh wow, Gun Frontier looks beautiful! I tend to dismiss Hamster’s ACA series these days since I have all my favourite Neo-Geo games already* and any time they jump out at me on the New Releases page it seems to be a mid-80s niche Japanese title I’ve never heard of. I hadn’t expected that one, or that there are other though.

* except Nightmare in the Dark :(

4 hours ago, PikaStu said:

I’ve never heard of this one, had a quick look on YouTube and it looks really good. Some beautiful parallax scrolling throughout 🥰

Apparently it was ported to Saturn and is also included in Taito Collection 2 on PS2?!

That’s my Saturday sorted, thanks!!

The Saturn port is famously much easier than the arcade PCB, because it was created without access to anything but the graphical data. It was done by Toshiaki Fujino of Triangle Service, who bought himself a PCB and did his best to copy everything by eye. This means everything going on under the hood (rank being influenced by firing rate, bomb usage and so on) is missing. It's a very impressive effort, but fundamentally a different game.

I can't remember much about the TL2 port but they messed up the laser in Metal Black (you can't refocus it after opening it up), and plenty of other games in those collections were pretty inaccurate, so I wouldn't have high hopes for it. So this ACA port is both the cheapest and best way to play it!

As for recs, Gunnail is essential, but make sure to use the option they included to turn off the siren. Then you can aim for those x100 multipliers in peace. Raiden is there too (with an option to change the starting rank to 1!), and Image Fight if you fancy vertical R-Type memo-hell. Definitely go for Thunder Dragon 2 if you like the look of it - it's all about speedkills and finding secret point bonuses, and it has one of the most tightly designed first stages ever.

BTW I haven't had a PS4 for long and hardly have anyone to compete for scores with - do add KlatrymadonAF if you're doing high score/caravan mode stuff in the ACA games! (Don't worry, I'm crap and have about 5 mins a day to play.) 😛