IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Deffo. Its central mechanic is 'draining' enemy bullets, so as long as you manage your meter well enough you needn't dodge a thing. It's a pretty easy clear even if you're quite out of practice.

I might check it out at some point then. Unlike apparently many modern shmups the first thing than appealed was it didn't have an obvious pedo aesthetic.

I managed to grab Battle Garegga on the Xbone for a tenner (Argentina code) and it’s awesome!

I’ve only ever played the Saturn demo, and had a slightly laggy shot on Mame, so this is really cool. 

They really should release a port of Soukyugurentai though… preferably on Switch but any format will do tbh!

26 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

The M2 release of Garegga is excellent. Playing modes that aren't impossible is so much fun!

Absolutely, the Premium option works for me, seems that when you get hit you use a super / bomb, until you run out… Mushihimesama 1 & 2 on the iPhone had that and it was great!

Love being able to switch between soundtracks too, the Saturn Arranged one is my favourite I think, but they’re all pretty good (not heard the 2016 remix yet though).

It’s not the prettiest game, compared to Cave shmups anyway, but it still holds up with some lovely artwork. Scanlines look downright terrible in this IMO, so it’s unfiltered pin-sharp pixels for me. I really should get a rotating TV rack like ShmupJunkie for 65” TATE mode…

I hope a cheap key for Dangun Feveron appears at some point, I really want that on console, as it also received the M2 treatment. It’s a shame the Xbone doesn’t have many more shmups… but I have the Switch and Steam (and Xbone Retail Mode Retroarch of course).

9 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Is there a decent up-to-date list of switch shmups anywhere? I go away for a few months and lots seems to have changed.

I tend to follow Electric Underground and Shmups on Switch on YouTube to keep up to date. 

2 hours ago, PikaStu said:

I hope a cheap key for Dangun Feveron appears at some point, I really want that on console, as it also received the M2 treatment.

The fever arrange in Dangun Feveron is brilliant! The arrange they did for ketsui is godly. I don't think that came to xbox though.

Tried to play Deathsmiles last night. My gaming laptop died, wasted a while trying to fix it. Then loaded it onto my normal laptop and had sound problems. Got annoyed at wasting precious time on tech issues, concluded PC gaming is like self harm, then ordered a physical copy of Deathsmiles on Switch from Amazon, as I really want to play it.

In the meantime I played a bit of G-Darius (clump I still adore the stick!) which was a lot of fun. Seems tough though!

Ooft, yeah, G-Darius is pretty hard.

Sorry to hear about your computer woes. That's the last thing you'd want in this heat.
Yeah man, life's too short. You're either a computer nerd or you're not. If you just like playing on consoles, don't force it. Stanshall/Marlew is the same, he won't even look at a pc.

I'm like the exact opposite, I'll only play on console if there's no other choice and there's a gun to my head :D

I really like playing as follett, the green lass on both the deathsmiles games, she seems the most fun to play to me. I think you'll really dig deathsmiles 2, it's nicely chill but there's still enough challenge there to keep things interesting.

I think I've hit a ceiling with my scoring. I'm figuring out new ways to get more points out of the bosses. I think that's all I can do at the minute to push it higher and tighten. If I have a really good run, I might break 8 billion. Guy at the top of the leaderboard has like 11.5 or something :o

6MiwHxe.jpg

Ay! You still rocking the stick ! Nice one :D

I assume Follett is better for scoring than Rosa because Rosa just smashes enemies so quick?

I used to be a Windia player, but since starting as Rosa I struggle to go back to Casper/Windia’s familiar control method. I might give it a go as Follett.

my friend pointed out to me deathsmiles 1+2 is out over here physically now (switch/ps4), wish i'd known that was going to happen before getting the more expensive limited games company version.

31 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

I assume Follett is better for scoring than Rosa because Rosa just smashes enemies so quick?

I used to be a Windia player, but since starting as Rosa I struggle to go back to Casper/Windia’s familiar control method. I might give it a go as Follett.

I was pretty near the start of my bullet hell journey when I played the first game and follet just felt like a nice comfortable speed, not too fast. The familiar rotation felt semi-intuitive and I noticed that during bosses, if I was using lock-shot she was firing out so many projectiles that it was making the game slowdown even more and I just thought "reet, this is the character for me" :D

I just instinctively picked her for deathsmiles 2 x mode when I played that, and I've been trying the other characters the last few days and always keep going back to follett.
It really does seem to change the way you have to play the game entirely in ds2, the same scoring strategy's won't work at all, you have to relearn the game entirely.

5 hours ago, spatular said:

my friend pointed out to me deathsmiles 1+2 is out over here physically now (switch/ps4), wish i'd known that was going to happen before getting the more expensive limited games company version.

Same. Especially as I haven’t even opened mine yet.

9 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Ooft, yeah, G-Darius is pretty hard.

Sorry to hear about your computer woes. That's the last thing you'd want in this heat.
Yeah man, life's too short. You're either a computer nerd or you're not. If you just like playing on consoles, don't force it. Stanshall/Marlew is the same, he won't even look at a pc.

I'm like the exact opposite, I'll only play on console if there's no other choice and there's a gun to my head :D

I really like playing as follett, the green lass on both the deathsmiles games, she seems the most fun to play to me. I think you'll really dig deathsmiles 2, it's nicely chill but there's still enough challenge there to keep things interesting.

I think I've hit a ceiling with my scoring. I'm figuring out new ways to get more points out of the bosses. I think that's all I can do at the minute to push it higher and tighten. If I have a really good run, I might break 8 billion. Guy at the top of the leaderboard has like 11.5 or something :o

6MiwHxe.jpg

Ay! You still rocking the stick ! Nice one :D

I sure am - love it!

As for being a computer nerd… well I work in IT so for me I am that way inclined, I just cannot be arsed doing it in the evenings if I can avoid it I guess! It turns my hobby into my job.

I’m mega excited for Deasthsmiles now, never played 2!

2 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Would Cuphead count as a shoot-em-up?

Run n gun, also of negligible quality, depending on who you ask.

It does have shmup sections, but like all games that have shmup sections, they're harmful to the genre in their hateful representation.
It's like that one slightly tanned guy at the klansman meeting describing a rap they once heard.

If it's drawn you in and led you to play this, then it's all good :D

Just personal opinion, to be clear. Lots of people I trust rate that game very highly.

2 hours ago, hazeredmist said:

well I work in IT so for me I am that way inclined, I just cannot be arsed doing it in the evenings if I can avoid it I guess! It turns my hobby into my job.

Yeah man, hearing you loud and clear.

I took a compooper course in sixth form and it was soul destroying.
It went from being something I was interested in and enjoyed, to something I was trapped in, breathing those fumes all day, seeing people enjoying themselves in the sun, sitting on the grass outside the window.

It was like a knee jerk soul reaction. I walked out and never went back.

It's games and fun and I keep it that way. If it's your bread and butter, that's the same, just the other side of the coin.

Excellent, it’s here!

I don’t really understand how there can be two physical versions, with one being the strictly limited one, and now this by clear river. Surely they sign one physical publishing deal, or can they just do this at a whim? Odd.

Pleased to have a copy at least, always nice to have a physical if it’s available and not ridiculously expensive 

C813B5E4-A943-4D3A-B76F-5312F1BB5E78.jpeg

Yeah, as much as I love my PS2 Complete Edition, Delta is the best way to play the game. Be sure to check out the Cybattler ship, and use the Revision ship in Medium Unit, etc!

Edit: just noticed it isn't on PSN in the UK...

Just been putting in some pre-orders on Amazon Japan. For those looking to keep up with the release schedule the following titles are up for pre-order in the last couple of months:

Bullet Soul Double Pack - Switch

Rayz Arcade Chronology - PS4 and Switch

Sol Cresta - PS4 and Switch (vindication on not paying over the odds to LRG)

Psikyo Shooting Library Vol 2 - PS4

Cotton 16-Bit - PS4 and Switch

Set credit cards to crying face 😅

On 19/07/2022 at 12:55, geldra said:

Raging Blasters dropped on Switch today by the looks of it. 

According to the Japanese eShop, Moon Dancer comes out next week too. It’s showing a 40% discount for me, not sure if that’s related to owning the previous games or not.