IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Good guy Drainus devs listening to feedback - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1975360/view/3328735652610700460

Arcade mode has been split into three modes. Normal (1 playthrough), Hard (1 playthrough), Extended (both loops).

edit: Looks like normal is the original arcade difficulty (hard in story mode), hard is ridiculous mode, and extended, I'm assuming is normal with the 2 loops. I didn't try that one.

Banana Bytes (Sophstar) showing off a prototype for their next game "Quasarius Rush"

Graphics are all placeholders, but the video is more about showing off the mechanics

Looks groovy! I'm getting Hurricane of The Varstray vibes with the shield mechanic. Hope they don't change the announcer voice.

Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX+ is on sale atm on PSN. Worth it if you have the older Dariusburst?

Played through DRAINUS earlier after seeing enough random recommendations about to just give it a go. Went in blind, that is not a short game! A lot of fun though, although really punishing if you die in areas where no powerups are coming in*. Guess I should've unlocked the bomb that gives powerups for that sort of situation. Really fun, much enjoyment had.

Spoiler

Especially that bit going backwards around the massive ship on Stage 3 or 4.

Also some of the doors you have to destroy on the last level were impossible to kill without powerups, unless you bombed and quickly got through.

Dogfight demo is worth a try.
It's a laid back casual affair, but try the atomic difficulty with the speedrun turned up to 1.6.
The game gets faster as you play better, everything moves quicker, even the player. It's canny good fun.

This looks like it might be alright. Not out until next year though, unless early access is starting this year - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902230/Soulbaby_Remastered/

Good grief Drainus is such a bad bad name!  :D 

However it looks sweet. Love the ship design. When is it out on Switch again??

Did the Cotton Saturn tribute collection ever get the input delay issues improved?  

I tried a naughty demo of Guardian Force on pc when it came out and compared it to playing on an emulator and the difference was night and day.
Don't give them your money.
They'll be shaving off the odd frame here and there with the patches, they'll never be playable.

Tried Layer Section and that was totally fine, so fuck knows whats going on with them.

18 hours ago, geldra said:

Good grief Drainus is such a bad bad name!  :D

I dunno, it's like "drain us", you absorb the baddies power by sucking up their bullets and using it against them. Sounds and looks like gradius and darius, so you've got that little pavlov bell ringing as soon as you even hear the name. Even the shit munchers have heard of darius and gradius. They'll know what's up.

I consider myself to be an overgrown child with a mucky mind, and even I had to have it explained to me that it sounds a little bit like "anus", but in my view, that's just given people another reason to mention the game to other people.
If you look at it purely from a marketing perspective, It's genius! :D

The infuriating thing about the game, as good as it is, is that every mode is far too easy, except for "ridiculous" which does exactly what it says on the tin, and is a bit too punishing. There's no porridge that's just right, and I hope they keep patching it until people are happy.

Even just ridiculous without the one hit kill, or something with a one hit kill that isn't sillyhard.

As it is, it's an excellent introduction to the genre. They nailed everything bar the balance.

I imagine it was intentional. What they've gone for is a very accessible game that's a great ride the first time you play. They've pretty much copied everything Qute did with Natsuki Chronicles and then absolutely flattened the difficulty curve.

I don't think they care about giving shmup players a balanced challenge, it's more of a recruitment tool for new converts.

I hope they do attempt to make a decent arcade mode, because the game is great. The patch that added new modes to arcade was a step in the right direction, but it didn't fix anything.

They need something in between arcade and ridiculous and that's gonna take some work rather than a quick patch, so I'm not sure they'll bother, but we'll see.

On 04/06/2022 at 09:44, ImmaculateClump said:

I tried a naughty demo of Guardian Force on pc when it came out and compared it to playing on an emulator and the difference was night and day.
Don't give them your money.
They'll be shaving off the odd frame here and there with the patches, they'll never be playable.

Tried Layer Section and that was totally fine, so fuck knows whats going on with them.

I dunno, it's like "drain us", you absorb the baddies power by sucking up their bullets and using it against them. Sounds and looks like gradius and darius, so you've got that little pavlov bell ringing as soon as you even hear the name. Even the shit munchers have heard of darius and gradius. They'll know what's up.

I consider myself to be an overgrown child with a mucky mind, and even I had to have it explained to me that it sounds a little bit like "anus", but in my view, that's just given people another reason to mention the game to other people.
If you look at it purely from a marketing perspective, It's genius! :D

The infuriating thing about the game, as good as it is, is that every mode is far too easy, except for "ridiculous" which does exactly what it says on the tin, and is a bit too punishing. There's no porridge that's just right, and I hope they keep patching it until people are happy.

Even just ridiculous without the one hit kill, or something with a one hit kill that isn't sillyhard.

As it is, it's an excellent introduction to the genre. They nailed everything bar the balance.

I imagine it was intentional. What they've gone for is a very accessible game that's a great ride the first time you play. They've pretty much copied everything Qute did with Natsuki Chronicles and then absolutely flattened the difficulty curve.

I don't think they care about giving shmup players a balanced challenge, it's more of a recruitment tool for new converts.

I hope they do attempt to make a decent arcade mode, because the game is great. The patch that added new modes to arcade was a step in the right direction, but it didn't fix anything.

They need something in between arcade and ridiculous and that's gonna take some work rather than a quick patch, so I'm not sure they'll bother, but we'll see.

Eek! Miles too late, Cotton arrived a couple of mins ago. :D

Looking forward to lots of almost puerile multi layered shmup game names in future. 

On 07/06/2022 at 08:31, phillv85 said:

https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/limited-run-games-unveils-33-new-physical-releases-at-lrg3-summer-showcase

TL;DR - Dodonpachi Resurrection and Espgaluda 2 coming to Switch plus more stuff :omg::omg::omg:

Limited Run releases are a no go for me just because their shipping costs are ridic.  A $35 game ends up being like £60 (may be a mild exaggeration). 

Yeah they're pretty nasty. I tend to buy a few games from them if I'm getting something. Usually if there's something I'm mildly interested in but there's nothing else I fancy at the time I tend to just let it go. The CAVE releases will be a different story though I think 😅

There's a score to beat for AISZplus - 4,180,800

ee7pvNS.jpg

I like it! It's a bit easy, but it's interesting.

Your shield only works when you're not focusing, and your focus fire loses power if you use it too much, so you have to hold your nerve and not focus during some bits and save it for the bigger enemies.

It's good, but I don't think there's enough there to keep you coming back.

4 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

There's a score to beat for AISZplus - 4,180,800

ee7pvNS.jpg

I like it! It's a bit easy, but it's interesting.

Your shield only works when you're not focusing, and your focus fire loses power if you use it too much, so you have to hold your nerve and not focus during some bits and save it for the bigger enemies.

It's good, but I don't think there's enough there to keep you coming back.

In the promo vids I found it a bit tough to pick out what was happening at any given time. You find that at all while playing?

Been back on Darius Gaiden as it seems to be the only game I want to play these days.

After much struggle I’ve given up on the Z’ path the final level is just too difficult to overcome and I can see V’ being much of the same.

So with that in mind I’m going to settle for getting the 1CC on VWXYZ instead. I got clears on V and X, bad clears but clears all the same. I’ll probably redo them as my goal is to have a set of 5 good 1CC replays where I complete every zone but Z’ and V’. I think that is a good goal to aim for.

That all said I am sick of zones A and B I have seen them too many times. Also I curse the house of whoever made the yellow beans that track you the correct dodge for that is very specific.

On 08/06/2022 at 21:00, ImmaculateClump said:

This is great. Nice and fast.

Made with the shmup creator. Making me feel a bit bad about about the couple of things I've made :D

https://kanzaki-cb.sakura.ne.jp/a/openarms/openarms.html

Wow, this ain't effing about! Anyone else playing? I get to stage 5, only barely and then I get absolutely smashed. Will keep trying. Some of the music is great.

RQO5mAc.jpg

Haha! I'm sure I read that you can play the shmup portion entirely on it's own. I'd have fucked it straight off my radar if not.
I'll read around closer to launch and make sure that's the case before buying anyway.

That Epic Recovery game is out today - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1995180/EpicRecovery/

Not sure what it's gonna be like, but it's cheap.

Aw man. Thanks for the info, spatular. Hopefully someone will be sharing a save file shortly after release so we can avoid all that crap.

Ha! That epic recovery isn't a bad little game. The rank could rise a bit faster for my liking, but it's not too bad. Runs are lasting around 20 minute so far, and when it's easy at the start it's very hypnotic and relaxing so still fun to play.

There's a score to beat if you pick it up.

le1z4LJ.jpg

S rank is possible.

IqF77Zz.jpg

Getting in nice and close and scooping up the green things as quickly as possible seems to make a huge difference, maybe they lose value the longer they're on screen. That makes the early stages much more interesting.

nyQasWv.jpg

14 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

I can already picture my growing irritation as I plough through the 349 button presses that sit between me and the next shmup section. That's a stress I don't need in my life!

Early reports from the heads suggest there are several hours' worth of VN between each shmup section, which is about what I expected. There is an unlockable arcade mode, but you'll be 40 hours deep before you see that...

Went back to Graze Counter as I'd hit a bit of a wall with Deathsmiles. Got the 1CC with all eight ships: 

image.png.1e1e8d6e8357c685994ad2b1b9ffcacb.png

The first couple of ships feel a bit underpowered in general when you get some of the later ships, to the point where the later ships almost feel like cheating. Even the first one you unlock, Type-3 with its homing lasers whenever you graze, is so much more powerful than the first two.

Only ones I really struggled with were Type-2 (with the narrow shot) and Type-4 (with the sword) - Type-2 because it's so difficult to kill things quickly, which means there's naturally more bullets on screen at once, and Type-4 because you have to get in really close to batter things with the sword. The plus side is, once you get into the rhythm a bit, you can charge your Graze Counter, fire it off, and get up close for a few seconds of huge damage with the sword before backing off again.

Only real thing I'm struggling with is scoring now - keeping the gauge at max and not dying are relatively straightforward, but knowing when to Graze Counter and when to Burst seems like a dark art with very, very meagre benefits on offer. Best score so far is 680mil and I don't see an obvious way of pushing that upwards other than not dying.

But yeah this is a bit good isn't it. I did also manage the Expert mode 1CC with the comedy overpowered ship that fires in all directions when in Burst mode, but that thing is so silly that it almost feels like cheating.

https://crows-nest.itch.io/silicon-scramble

3 minute caravan, you have to get your chain up high (to 64, preferably), and then blow yourself up to start fever mode. Try to keep fever mode going as long as possible by collecting microchips which give you an extra life after you collect so many, so you can blow yourself up in front of the big ships and keep the fever going.

There's my best go so far (491,275,200) - https://streamable.com/u9bowp

Man, that is so addictive. From the spitfire paradise lads, they really know what they're doing.