IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Was reminded how much I like Crimzon Clover despite not really putting any time into it, so I've gone and started trying to get the Novice 1CC. Had my closest run yet tonight - saw the bullet coming towards me and pressed Break but must've been a tiny bit late as this happened:

20220425215232_1.thumb.jpg.f51a36f943fe6c773c334046f0c5450c.jpg

Spoiler

That's the very last boss in case people are unaware 😭

Anyway, then had a quick go of Arrange, which is certainly an interesting change, but that resulted in me unlocking the Type-Z ship. I only had time to try the first level with it but it seems like the Type-I but just better?! Think I'll be swapping to that for the time being and seeing how that goes. 

Hanaji have been having a sale as well, about 30 hours left - https://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Hanaji Games

Mecha Ritz (this will be updated to the 2.0 version for free when it comes out) - https://store.steampowered.com/app/463070/Mecha_Ritz_Steel_Rondo/

Barrage Fantasia - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1496990/Barrage_Fantasia/

Dezatopia - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178290/Dezatopia/

Played a few shmups recently on my little retro holiday:

Thunderforce IV (Genesis): I adore the soundtrack to this one, but I'm not convinced it holds up that well to actually play. Lots of cheap deaths and for me lacks precision.

Bangai-O (Dreamcast): now this was more like it. I love everything about this game. I also think it's the superior game between this and the N64 version, as the risk reward of getting more counter missiles when you are surrounded by bullets is so much fun. I think ultimately Bangai-O Spirits is the best of the series though.

41 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

So layer section is out on the japanese eshop....wonder how long before it makes its way to the EU.

It’s been available since 28th April, hasn’t it?

I may pick it up in a sale, £25 is a bit steep considering my shmup backlog on Switch and Steam. 

Got my copies of Hizou Same! Same! Same! delivered. Anyone else had a play through it yet? I’ve had a quick blast on easy mode on both of the main games and enjoyed them, Fire Shark being the better of the two.

2 hours ago, PikaStu said:

It’s been available since 28th April, hasn’t it?

I may pick it up in a sale, £25 is a bit steep considering my shmup backlog on Switch and Steam. 

I thought that I'd seen a June release on Switch (outside of Japan) and a "released at a later date" on Xbox, yet it's also showing on the UK MS store so perhaps the dates were brought forward? 

2 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Got my copies of Hizou Same! Same! Same! delivered. Anyone else had a play through it yet? I’ve had a quick blast on easy mode on both of the main games and enjoyed them, Fire Shark being the better of the two.

Is that the M2 release? Is it a Jp only release?

I still haven’t played Tiger Heli yet 😕

3 hours ago, Camel said:

Is that the M2 release? Is it a Jp only release?

I still haven’t played Tiger Heli yet 😕

Yep and yep. I’ve also still not got around to Tiger Heli, only opened this because it was on the side when I was ready to game.

Have been getting into Deathsmiles as the first Cave game I've played in a while, having a lot of fun with it but it's the first shmup in a while where I'm having real visibility problems with some of the obstacles. I find the enemies pop out of nowhere a bit too much and I'm taking more hits from getting decked by stuff appearing from offscreen than I am from actual bullet hazards, until the final boss at least which is a huge step up from the rest of the game.

The design and presentation is the maddest shit though. One of the stage bosses is just a massive cow?

1 hour ago, strawdonkey said:

Have been getting into Deathsmiles as the first Cave game I've played in a while, having a lot of fun with it but it's the first shmup in a while where I'm having real visibility problems with some of the obstacles. I find the enemies pop out of nowhere a bit too much and I'm taking more hits from getting decked by stuff appearing from offscreen than I am from actual bullet hazards, until the final boss at least which is a huge step up from the rest of the game.

The design and presentation is the maddest shit though. One of the stage bosses is just a massive cow?

Yeah you do need to stay pretty central in Deathsmiles, at least until you learn the enemy appearance spots, particularly in the Theme Park and Hades castle loads of the bastards come from below you and can get you cornered pretty easy, especially if you’ve activated suicide bullets by playing all level 3.

Are you getting the 2up from Jitterbug by not bombing him? Makes tyrannosatan quite a lot easier having the extra bomb stock and lives.

No, though that's useful to know about. I'm usually dying at Jitterbug/before I get there, as I'm often going in to the final boss with 1-2 hits worth of life left at most due to sloppy play beforehand!

Some useful stuff here http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=281.0 for if anyone else is struggling, I need to plan a survival difficulty/route through the game that maximises the number of heals available - looks like the following is worth a crack. If I can get the first extend (which I usually get hold of on Volcano Rank 2) then that should be a good starting point, though reading about Power Up Mode Bomb Cancelling is really interesting and I definitely need to not get too tempted by that kind of stuff while I'm still trying to do basic stuff like avoid getting jumped by giant frog pricks.

B1 (Forest of the Lost) Rank 1

B2 (Swamp Wastes)Rank 2

A1 (Port Town) Rank 1

A2 (Graveyard) Rank 3

C1 (Lake Shore) Rank 2

C2 (Volcano) Rank 3

The bomb cancelling is really bloody hard to do, your timing needs to be really good. The only stage I can semi reliably do it on is Volcano, but if you stuff it up it costs you millions of points.

My advice would be get used to survival, then get used to killing enemies with the correct shot for max skulls, then get all lvl 3 clear without EX. After that decide on bomb cancelling or EX. The EX stage is absolutely well difficult with suicide bullets. It also changes Jitterbug and Tyrannosatan’s patterns which always messes it up for me.

Yoinked the Same! Same! Same! collection (as much for Wardner as anything else (odd that there’s no MD version on there despite there being the NES ver, anyway never mind)).

There HAS to be a Tatsujin/Tatsujin Oh/Batsugun collection inbound!? HAS to be!!

3 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I reckon Tatsujin, Zero Wing and Hellfire but holy shit would I like one that saw Batsugun get the M2 treatment.

you’d think that it has to happen, what with it seeing a release on that Astro City mini V. S’what I’m clinging to anyway, only way I’ll ever own a copy (after stupidly selling my Saturn copy for pennies). :(

YES

image.png.4fb1ea7a505db907c0e752f27285dcbc.png

The final boss was a truly miserable display of Using All The Bombs You Saved Up and this whole thing was done on Rank 1, but while I'm still kind of awful at the game it's helped having a route to practice and settling into a routine of roughly when to power up for the best results (usually on Swamp, Graveyard and Volcano). It was a huge effort to try and avoid focusing on the crowns and skulls that get dropped though, I find that I subconsciously focus on getting in a position to collect skulls from enemies which sometimes makes it harder to avoid bullets. Basically this:

image.png.56a76201d31e2969055f4e241ff0d242.png

Going to have a bit more of a play around with the different modes and characters, and think this one's going on the shelf until October when I imagine a few of us will bring it out for Halloween :)

[edit] 

Played a bit of the SNES version of Smash TV again last night. Friggin love it.

It's not quite arcade perfect, but it's pretty damn close.

13 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

The final boss was a truly miserable display of Using All The Bombs You Saved Up and this whole thing was done on Rank 1, but while I'm still kind of awful at the game it's helped having a route to practice and settling into a routine of roughly when to power up for the best results (usually on Swamp, Graveyard and Volcano). It was a huge effort to try and avoid focusing on the crowns and skulls that get dropped though, I find that I subconsciously focus on getting in a position to collect skulls from enemies which sometimes makes it harder to avoid bullets. Basically this:

Nice! Rosa, Rank 1 and All The Bombs was my method too (also when I first started practicing a "1CC" I didn't realise that bombs replenished on death. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.) And yeah; when I still had the game on disc, I had a written note in the box with a rough strategy for when to spend the 1000 skulls... :)  

I didn't actually know before that Treasure were the OGs of fuck Konami - as they left to make Gunstar Heroes because Konami didn't want to let them make it.

Disappointingly, there's no way to practice the bosses on Deathsmiles. To practice the final stage's bosses you have to slog through all of the final stage itself first, all for 60 seconds of trying to figure out the bullet patterns again. Seems like a massive oversight.