Jump to content
IGNORED

Shmups


Dr Seedyman
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 30/03/2022 at 17:42, Klatrymadon said:

G-Darius HD dropped a day early on Steam. £21 for several versions of the best game of aaaaaall time.

 

The Steam version brings this release about up to par with the ShotTriggers line. It's a really lovingly-produced package, with a raft of new 'gadgets' showing useful game information (boss HP, which enemy you've captured and their HP, command notation for the Captains' special moves, etc), a beautiful zone map on the pause screen (again with helpful item and boss information), and the shedloads of toggleable bells and whistles you'd expect, the most novel of which is "arcade background noise" recorded in an Akihabara arcade. It emulates the idiosyncrasies of both versions of the game really accurately as far as I can tell (be aware that ver. 2 has completely different peaks and valleys in terms of performance than ver. 1, even on the PCB), and there's an option to disable the slowdown entirely, as in the Taito Legends 2 port, which is clearly communicated as making the game run faster than it would on an arcade board. This feature has presumably been missed by the various Steam reviewers who assume any slowdown in a game must be a mistake. :P

The practice tools could stand to be slightly more robust, I suppose, but otherwise it's everything you could want from a G-Darius port.

(The only issue I've noticed in the Steam version is a slight audio skip when the game is transitioning from a boss' death to the route selection screen, right when the autosave happens. Hopefully this can be patched out.)

Best review of Steam G-Darius.  Nice one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/04/2022 at 19:57, immortaljellyfish said:

For some reason my RG Novice 1CC is top of the global leaderboard by a country mile. Although it also seems fair to say that the boards are pretty barren right now. Hopefully that'll change with the digital release.

 

IMG_1990.thumb.jpg.1309a058a13001db594953a8b3237bb8.jpg

 

I got you, that arrange mode is pretty fun!

 

1253708886_Screenshot_20220403-1013182.thumb.jpg.59adf2d75546a167fc4b91c7da30fc69.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Improved it slightly.

  Hide contents

683416269_Screenshot_20220404-0107492.thumb.jpg.063c9685f1ef3742d7af9c0aec681110.jpg

 

I just came here to say that I saw that - congrats dude. Would love to see your replay if you have the means. I'm consistently falling way short of my top score and am not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Even watching my replay isn't really helping!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

 

I just came here to say that I saw that - congrats dude. Would love to see your replay if you have the means. I'm consistently falling way short of my top score and am not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Even watching my replay isn't really helping!

 

Thanks :) I can get the replay uploaded in a bit, will give a shout when done.

 

I was just playing quite aggressive I think and trying to always do the hyper cancel at the last moment (I know I missed one on the last stage). There might be higher score in cancelling into it earlier so you do more of the higher scoring ones, but I'll give that a go later.

 

I think you also get more medals from enemies depending on what you shoot them with, popcorn enemies certainly seem to give more in fighter mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Jonster said:

 

Thanks :) I can get the replay uploaded in a bit, will give a shout when done.

 

I was just playing quite aggressive I think and trying to always do the hyper cancel at the last moment (I know I missed one on the last stage). There might be higher score in cancelling into it earlier so you do more of the higher scoring ones, but I'll give that a go later.

 

I think you also get more medals from enemies depending on what you shoot them with, popcorn enemies certainly seem to give more in fighter mode.

 

That would be awesome mate - thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

Bastard! Sorry, I mean congrats, obv ❤️

 

No, you were right the first time. Bastard has previous form with this type of thing :D

 

Z-Warp, new game from the project starship x/void gore guy is coming in two days.

 

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/concept/10004665

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/z-warp/9nfj5kdfkhh9

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Z-Warp-2188602.html

 

 

Looks like a none-roguelite version of void gore.

 

Nobody's buying his shit on pc :( So it looks like console only again, though it looks like an itch.io release wouldn't be out of the question.

 

CaO0Gcg.png

YoXlzNB.png

 

Cotton Rock N Roll's steam release coming in "the autumn".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone heard about the switch version of G-Darius HD getting the update? I’ve clicked the update software option on it a few times and it keeps saying it’s still current on version 1.0 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meanwhile I’m officially giving up on Mushihimesama. I’ve tried and tried and tried but I cannot get on with it, can’t pinpoint why whether it’s bullet speed or the visuals not agreeing with my eyes during play but I’m actually pretty gutted as I love the aesthetic, the music and everything about it really, and I double dipped on steam / switch too. But I absolutely SUCK at it. And it’s one people generally say is accessible. Bah! Clearly a me problem.

 

Meanwhile I’m really enjoying Crimzon Clover World Explosion again and feel almost ready to go for a 1cc. Boost mode is great fun and I’ve even been enjoying the alternative music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hazeredmist said:

Meanwhile I’m officially giving up on Mushihimesama. I’ve tried and tried and tried but I cannot get on with it, can’t pinpoint why whether it’s bullet speed or the visuals not agreeing with my eyes during play but I’m actually pretty gutted as I love the aesthetic, the music and everything about it really, and I double dipped on steam / switch too. But I absolutely SUCK at it. And it’s one people generally say is accessible. Bah! Clearly a me problem.

 

Meanwhile I’m really enjoying Crimzon Clover World Explosion again and feel almost ready to go for a 1cc. Boost mode is great fun and I’ve even been enjoying the alternative music.

 

I don't get on with Mushi either, love Futari, but the first game just doesn't agree with me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I quite like it, very much in fact, but am not so good.

 

I still don't really have a "PCB level" clear under my belt, which is a shame. Thing is, I often get caught up trying to no-bomb/play for score and then end up dying. This goes for DFK, for which I fall apart in stage 4 or so, usually.

 

I wonder what a good shmup would be. I don't mind grinding; I have a cab (nay, two!) that I should be using, anyway!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hazeredmist said:

Anyone heard about the switch version of G-Darius HD getting the update? I’ve clicked the update software option on it a few times and it keeps saying it’s still current on version 1.0 

 

The releases outside Japan haven't been updated yet, but SLG have confirmed it's coming, for both the digital and physical versions. Inin haven't said anything, so I'm not sure if we can assume the same for their copies...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up Eschatos and Crimson Clover in the recent Switch sale, and to my surprise Crimson Clover hasn't had much of a look in! Eschatos is glorious, with its clean, chunky polygons and amazing soundtrack. It seems pared back, naively simple compared to CC, but maybe that's what floats my boat - it's like the ultimate evolution of Galaga or something, swarms of enemies hanging up at the top of the screen before flitting down towards you.

 

Haven't touched much of Judgement Silversword or Cardinal Sins which come with the package yet, by same developer M-KAI, but it seems that Eschatos is the perfecting of those sweet, sweet WonderSwan shmup mechanics. I mostly find it funny that the publisher Qute Corporation is mostly a medical apparatus and healthcare logistics company. That just happens to have a hardcore shmup division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Let us measure said:

I picked up Eschatos and Crimson Clover in the recent Switch sale, and to my surprise Crimson Clover hasn't had much of a look in! Eschatos is glorious, with its clean, chunky polygons and amazing soundtrack. It seems pared back, naively simple compared to CC, but maybe that's what floats my boat - it's like the ultimate evolution of Galaga or something, swarms of enemies hanging up at the top of the screen before flitting down towards you.

 

Haven't touched much of Judgement Silversword or Cardinal Sins which come with the package yet, by same developer M-KAI, but it seems that Eschatos is the perfecting of those sweet, sweet WonderSwan shmup mechanics. I mostly find it funny that the publisher Qute Corporation is mostly a medical apparatus and healthcare logistics company. That just happens to have a hardcore shmup division.

 

I know loads of other folk like yourself who seem to love Eschatos, but for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to get on with me. Might be the scoring systems, perhaps. Glad you're enjoying it tho, dude. When the time comes for CC you're in for a treat - it's a proper modern classic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Z-Warp is good if you liked Void Gore (I did).  Obvs it’s very similar in terms aesthetic like. 20% off on Switch at the min (3p over a fiver). 
 

Shout out to the chooooons in it too. Big fan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

 

I know loads of other folk like yourself who seem to love Eschatos, but for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to get on with me. Might be the scoring systems, perhaps. Glad you're enjoying it tho, dude. When the time comes for CC you're in for a treat - it's a proper modern classic.

 

Yeah tbh, I'm not too sure about the scoring myself. It mainly seems to be based on how quickly you beat each wave, but seeing as the waves blitz by at rocket speed anyway I'm not too sure where the skill comes in, beyond just surviving. I think I'm enjoying the clean simplicity of it, it's not a cluttered shmup at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not so much your speed, although you need to be fast to do it - you build the multiplier by clearing whole waves, letting nothing escape. I can rarely keep the 20x multiplier going for longer than one wave, alas, and I'm normally hovering around zero.

 

You definitely want to get your Normal clear under your belt before worrying about it, imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, geldra said:

That Z-Warp is good if you liked Void Gore (I did).  Obvs it’s very similar in terms aesthetic like. 20% off on Switch at the min (3p over a fiver). 
 

Shout out to the chooooons in it too. Big fan. 

 

Yeah, I'm digging it too. Really good fun :D

There's a score to beat

 

jmIQBua.jpg

 

Endless mode seems like a bit of an endurance test. It takes way too long to get going, they should have made it harder than the campaign from the off and not had any health pick ups, I reckon.

I think games of that will last too long for me to play again, but we'll see.

 

v9TRUWN.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.