IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

19 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

don't want to have to be saving every five minutes.

What's wrong with saving every five minutes? Pretty sure I've had times where I was saving every 5 seconds :lol: 

Haha. Yeah, I'm doing it anyway :D

It's pretty damn good! Obviously there are limitations, but the dev seems to be wanting to add lots of stuff in the future. It's a tad buggy at the minute, but he's on it with the updates.

It's mind boggling how quickly you can put together something totally playable, it's all very intuitive.

The engine is also really good, very responsive and well optimised.

Very happy with it so far!

Yeah, if you already know a programming language then you've got the reigns completely and something like this might not make much sense, but it's insane how quick you can make things happen.

Might be worth getting if only for throwing together quick prototypes and testing different ideas, although there are limitations, it's still fun working within them.

For example there's no option for proximity scoring so I've made it so that when your hyper is active, every bullet that hits an enemy generates a star but the star drops off the screen quite quick so that's encouraging the player to play aggressively to make sure they get as many stars as they can. I've made the chaining time quite tight as well so you're forced to move around the screen quite a bit to keep your multiplier up.

I've made it so popcorn enemies don't shoot for nearly half a second after spawning as well so playing aggressively makes sense when you're not hypering, even for survival.

It's becoming apparent that constantly play testing your level and tweaking little things is the most important thing once you've got the systems in place. Making sure everything is tight but not impossible, and this lets you do that, you can start playing the game from anywhere in the timeline, and although it's not perfect as you'll have a screen full of enemies you didn't get to kill, it's handy for checking things.

12 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah, if you already know a programming language then you've got the reigns completely and something like this might not make much sense, but it's insane how quick you can make things happen.

Might be worth getting if only for throwing together quick prototypes and testing different ideas, although there are limitations, it's still fun working within them.

For example there's no option for proximity scoring so I've made it so that when your hyper is active, every bullet that hits an enemy generates a star but the star drops off the screen quite quick so that's encouraging the player to play aggressively to make sure they get as many stars as they can. I've made the chaining time quite tight as well so you're forced to move around the screen quite a bit to keep your multiplier up.

I've made it so popcorn enemies don't shoot for nearly half a second after spawning as well so playing aggressively makes sense when you're not hypering, even for survival.

It's becoming apparent that constantly play testing your level and tweaking little things is the most important thing once you've got the systems in place. Making sure everything is tight but not impossible, and this lets you do that, you can start playing the game from anywhere in the timeline, and although it's not perfect as you'll have a screen full of enemies you didn't get to kill, it's handy for checking things.

This all sounds quite fascinating to play about with, tbh. But I'm so time poor I just don't know when I'd fit it in. Perhaps when I next take some holiday time I'll get this and have a tinker.

11 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

This all sounds quite fascinating to play about with, tbh. But I'm so time poor I just don't know when I'd fit it in. Perhaps when I next take some holiday time I'll get this and have a tinker.

Yeah, it'll gobble up your time if you let it.

Nice, rolling gunner is great fun!

Been going through some of the stuff I've acquired in bundles on Itch. I'm sure I'll have completely overlooked some great titles too.

Zero Ranger is a clinic on how to make something look amazing with a very limited palette, and it plays a fun, slightly old-school-mixed-with-Radiant-Silvergun-vibes game of STG too. Coming to it late, it's a little unclear whether you're meant to be playing the White Vanilla mode (which is a mad-as-fuck simulation/remix of the existing stages that has a cool fast-forward/timer mechanic when you clear waves quickly) or the Green Orange Mode (where you go through the levels in order like a civilised human being).

It seems to have had an absolute ton of praise heaped on it (something like 11th on the Shmups forum's best games ever?) - not sure if it's quite there for me yet but I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

Schildmaid MX I wrote about in the What Games Did You Finish And How Are You Going To Convince Me That 1CCing A Particular Mode Is An Appropriate Response To That Question thread, but in summary, the basic mode takes too long to get started but I've finished that now and am hoping it gets good from here. Fun mechanic where you collect a bullet to activate your shield, collect as many bullets as possible to score and power up, and kill enemies to keep your shield meter from emptying. If it empties, You Are In Danger and have to avoid death for 5-10 seconds until you can bring the shield back up.

Demonizer is an old-school vertical shmup that features a lot of options to collect from very early on, gives you a bunch of medals to collect, and also I don't really know what's going on as far as the finer details go. There seems to be some kind of melee attack apparently and sometimes the options just run off up the screen to kill or collect things and I don't know why. More time required on this one. One cool thing it does that I've never seen before, is that enemies will often pop in and out of hiding, and you can't hit them while they're not visible; you can keep track of them as you can still see an outline of their eyes but flying through a forest can mean that you get ambushed suddenly by something you didn't think was going to re-emerge from behind the trees.

Zenohell is very low-budget, but spawns a massive pile of medals whenever you kill anything so I guess we're good. I've only had a couple of goes at this one, I think it's probably not going to be a keeper becuase it has lots and lots of bullets that come at you so fast it's extremely difficult to dodge without prior knowledge. They go at the speed of bullets in games where the strategy was to constantly move around the screen (like 1942), but also you don't have nearly as much of the screen to play with due to the bullet hell-ish patterns that come with it.

Have I missed any other highlights?

[edit] I found a few more that I've not had chance to try yet: Viral ReloadOperation S.T.E.E.LBlast RushSPACE / MECH / PILOT and a few things that could be considered Shmup-adjacent - Hell CrazeGunhouseStellar Interface, and Xenogunner.

I've also had troulbe installing a couple of games using the itch client (Starfighter R&D Edition amongst others) so there might be a couple more to come yet. Also there's another ten pages of items to look through still!

Ah clump great to see you still here and the last post mentions Rolling Gunner. A man from my church.

Picked up Schildmaid MX and ZeroRanger.

Schildmaid MX seems bloody FANTASTIC. Exciting and exhilarating, great music and it just feels lovely to play. Excited to play more. 

Yet to play Zero Ranger but understand it's good... 

Hiya, Haze! Good to see you around again :D

Will be interested in your opinions on those two when you get to sink your teeth in.

Yeah Zeroranger is really good.
The campaign is the meat and spunk of it, but white vanilla is the arrange mode they patched in later and in my opinion it's the star of the show.

The campaign doesn't really get going until the second loop and it's one of those games you have to chip away at, memorising the different sections.

I'm the sort of person who rolls my eyes at heavy handed references to other things, so I wasn't squeaking with delight at the memberberries, and I absolutely loath meta shit in games. I can just picture the developers smug faces feeling all happy with themselves and it leaves a bad taste, so I wasn't as blown away with the campaign as other people, but it is a real grower. The second loop is loads of fun.

I said it at the time, and I stick by it, as good as it is, this game got all of the praise and attention that Blue Revolver deserved. Or maybe, I just felt that a few years earlier, BR didn't get any of that sort of praise and support and word of mouth from western players.

There was a twitter poll where Japanese players voted on their favourite shmup of the decade and Zeroranger didn't make the grade

1. Eschatos
2. Neko Navy
3. Crimson Clover
4. Strania
5. DDPSDOJ
6. Dariusburst CS
7. Blue Revolver
8. Graze Counter
9. Aka to Blue
10. Dariusburst AC

Schildmaid, I wish I liked it more, is all I can say. The last mode they patched in was a big step in the right direction, but I just didn't find myself going back for more once I'd beat it a few times.
There's something missing. It feels hollow like it has no soul. Everything's a bit too floaty and sterile. It's hard to put into words. It's too slow and stilted and I don't find the scoring fun.
I think the fairest thing I can say is that it's a good game, but I don't personally find it much fun to play.

I remember a couple of people here calling it the best indie shmup they'd ever played, but they were both console exclusive gamers. I'm guessing it was the only indie shmup they'd ever played and they were just pleased to be in the beta :D

Demonizer I remember being fun, I really have to go back and play some more.
If I remember rightly, if you're using focus shot, sometimes your options will leg it up the screen to collect coins for you. I think that's how it worked.
I remember coming away feeling that I hadn't completely gotten a handle on all the mechanics as well.
Real men don't read tutorials.
I'll have to fire that up again in the future and give it another go.

Zenohell I love! but I bounced off it pretty hard at first. It wasn't until I played the other games in the series that I went back to it and realised it was the best one! The others are easier and do a better job of easing you in, but once you've gotten used to the water, the first game is great fun. Everything about it feels so pure, the level design is on point and it all just feels nice and nippy and exciting.

First game - https://store.steampowered.com/app/466820/Zenodyne_R/

Third game - https://store.steampowered.com/app/761920/Zenodeath/

The same indie group made Jet Buster and Super XYX as well. Both excellent.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/618070/Jet_Buster/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/654500/Super_XYX/

They all go for pennies in the sales.

Yeah, I think you'll like Operation STEEL. Really fun roguelite shmup.

Final version of the snail game, Stainless Night, is out (unless it needs patching) - https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/27857

Nice, oh yes I have Demonizer too actually. It was from that Ukraine bundle from itch.io

Neko Navy and Rolling Gunner are considered Indie aren't they? They are unbeatable to me. I would like to play Eschatos, but it looks a bit too Psyvariar to me, which I bounced off hard.

Forgot to mention I also picked up a physical copy of G-Darius HD as it was so cheap, cost me like £9 from Amazon as they randomly gave me a fiver off voucher. Not played it yet!

11 minutes ago, hazeredmist said:

Nice, oh yes I have Demonizer too actually. It was from that Ukraine bundle from itch.io

Neko Navy and Rolling Gunner are considered Indie aren't they? They are unbeatable to me. I would like to play Eschatos, but it looks a bit too Psyvariar to me, which I bounced off hard.

Forgot to mention I also picked up a physical copy of G-Darius HD as it was so cheap, cost me like £9 from Amazon as they randomly gave me a fiver off voucher. Not played it yet!

Eschatos isn’t really that much like psyvariar at all. It’s much more ‘arcadey’, very noob friendly with a happy clappy OST. The mechanics are very different.

Yeah, it's coming out alongside the Steam release (on all platforms). I commented below this vid that they've really undersold it, lol.

Andro Dunos 2 is out on Steam now. Anyone else taking a punt on it? I'm a huge fan of all of Picorinne Soft's other games, and it doesn't look a million miles away from Infinos Gaiden, so I'm feeling confident it'll be fantastic.

15 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Yeah, it's coming out alongside the Steam release (on all platforms). I commented below this vid that they've really undersold it, lol.

Andro Dunos 2 is out on Steam now. Anyone else taking a punt on it? I'm a huge fan of all of Picorinne Soft's other games, and it doesn't look a million miles away from Infinos Gaiden, so I'm feeling confident it'll be fantastic.

Yep, I've had a dabble with Andros Dunos 2. Seems solid.

On 24/03/2022 at 21:13, Klatrymadon said:

Yeah I’ve got a pre-order in for Andro Dunos 2. I hope it’s better than the first game 😅

On 24/03/2022 at 21:13, Klatrymadon said:

Great! Let me know when it’s out so I can get the ps4 out again

ZeroRanger is really growing on me, helped by the fact that I've been able to get a lot more consistent at it with a few more hours invested. I've now made it to the final boss on one credit on both White Vanilla and Green Orange modes, have a builda and strategy that I'm comfortable with, and just need to string everything together in one good run for each mode now.

Have also beaten the final boss quite a few times on part-runs; I just need to not screw it up on the full run! Came into the final area with five lives and had an enormous choke just now with about 5% of the final boss' health remaining.

Oh I just hit (ZeroRanger mild spoilers)

Spoiler

The second loop on ZeroRanger - the stuff after the final boss is mad and the way it just dumps you into the second loop is brilliant. Didn't quite make it to 2-1 as one of the supplementary bosses got me so it's not a 1-ALL sadly, but yeah - there's a lot of this game left it appears!

Am feeling very spoiled as a shmup fan right now. Absolutely LOVING Rolling Gunner on PS4/5, Andro Dunos 2 is cracking, still tucking into CC World Explosion, Space Moth Lunar Edition and Star hunter DX on PC, plus there's loads of stuff sitting there waiting for a bit more of my attention (Habroxia 2, which I ADORE, Assault Shell, Progear/Gigawing, the three Cottons now on Steam, Jet Buster, Operation Steel, Sophstar, Sol Cresta... so much goodness). Not bad for a 'dead' genre 😉

17 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

Habroxia 2, which I ADORE

Ooh, I totally missed that one. Is it a twin stick shooter? It's hard to tell in the video. I'll have to try that!

Last stage of andros, I think. It's coming!

1xu3Xxe.png

I think sticking with the green weapon is totally viable for normal, though I switched to the yellow one that fires in both directions when I got to the dual egg boss thingy.

8 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Ooh, I totally missed that one. Is it a twin stick shooter? It's hard to tell in the video. I'll have to try that!

No, old school horizontal shmup but with persistent power ups - which, incidentally, is often not my bag, but the design absolutely nails it.

G-Darius HD dropped a day early on Steam. £21 for several versions of the best game of aaaaaall time.

The Steam version brings this release about up to par with the ShotTriggers line. It's a really lovingly-produced package, with a raft of new 'gadgets' showing useful game information (boss HP, which enemy you've captured and their HP, command notation for the Captains' special moves, etc), a beautiful zone map on the pause screen (again with helpful item and boss information), and the shedloads of toggleable bells and whistles you'd expect, the most novel of which is "arcade background noise" recorded in an Akihabara arcade. It emulates the idiosyncrasies of both versions of the game really accurately as far as I can tell (be aware that ver. 2 has completely different peaks and valleys in terms of performance than ver. 1, even on the PCB), and there's an option to disable the slowdown entirely, as in the Taito Legends 2 port, which is clearly communicated as making the game run faster than it would on an arcade board. This feature has presumably been missed by the various Steam reviewers who assume any slowdown in a game must be a mistake. :P

The practice tools could stand to be slightly more robust, I suppose, but otherwise it's everything you could want from a G-Darius port.

(The only issue I've noticed in the Steam version is a slight audio skip when the game is transitioning from a boss' death to the route selection screen, right when the autosave happens. Hopefully this can be patched out.)